Noble Adept theme / Augments / Power Points Questions

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I am uncertain how augments and power points are gained and used for powers. Specifically for the Noble Adept theme and the Adept's Insight power.

As I understand it, power points are used with psionic powers. Do you spend them to achieve an augment in a power?

So in order to use the Adept's Insight power with the augment 1, I would have to be level 3 and have taken Unnerving Suggestion as my level 3 power?

How do power points work? You can spend as many as you have augmenting your powers in an encounter, then you take a short rest and get them refreshed?

Is this theme normally only taken by classes that use psionics? 
A Noble Adept can use Adept's Insight at level 1 since he gain 1 power point at level 1.

A power that has the augmentable keyword has optional augmentations, which a character can use at the cost of power points. A creature must decide whether and how to augment an augmentable power when it chooses to use the power, before making any attack rolls or applying any of the power’s effects. An augmentation specifies its cost in power points. For example, “Augment 1” means a creature must spend 1 power point to use an augmentation. The creature must spend the required power points when it decides to use the augmentation. Finally, when a power is augmented, it replace its base effects, so changes to the power are noted in the description of the augmentation. Expanded power points are regained after a short rest.

Noble Adept Power Point (1st level): You gain 1 power point.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

As I understand it, power points are used with psionic powers. Do you spend them to achieve an augment in a power?

Yes.

So in order to use the Adept's Insight power with the augment 1, I would have to be level 3 and have taken Unnerving Suggestion as my level 3 power?

No.  In order to use the Augment 1, you would have to spend a Power Point when using Adept's Insight. 

How do power points work?

You get power points when something (for example, the Noble Adept Theme) says you get them.  Then you spend them on augmentable things to use the augmented version of a power instead of the unaugmented version.

(You can only use one Augment at a time.  If a power has Augment 0, Augment 1, and Augment 2 versions, you can only spend 0, 1, or 2 PP on it.  You cannot spend 3 PP to get the Aug1 *and* Aug2 benefits.)

You can spend as many as you have augmenting your powers in an encounter, then you take a short rest and get them refreshed?

That's correct.  You regain all expended Power Points after each Short Rest.

Is this theme normally only taken by classes that use psionics? 

Technically, anyone who takes this theme BECOMES a class who uses psionics, since it gives you augmentable psionic powers and a power point - but yes, it's generally most useful for already-psionic characters.  It's still a nice trick for non-psionic characters, though - 1 PP and an Encounter Augment 1 means you're always going to use it Augmented, unless you find something else to spend PP on, and some of the psionic augmentable items are pretty nice.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
LoW did a great job explaining it, but it'd really help to leaf through a PHB3 at some point.  The power points rules are all covered there.

Actually, aren't they in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting as well?  That's where Noble Adept is, after all.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition