9/26/2012 UR: "In Praise of the Worldsoul, Part 1"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Meh. All generic set-up. Not really impressed. Pretty generic. 

For a moment, I was a bit confused because the part "Ruzi said to his two-legged student" seemed to indicate he was a centaur, which obviously didn't make sense. However, looking at the context, he was distinguishing between the wolves and the two-legged students. Still, it's rather irksome.

I like how Ruzi is not the stereotypical conclave evangelist; it helps show that the guilds aren't just 2 dimensional caricatures.

I really hope they don't go the obvious direction of making Cecilee an antagonist; not only would the "twist" be a cliche, it would be too derivative of the recent Vraska story. 

I'm hoping the conclusion is worth it; the Shadows of Prahv part 1 got a LOT better with the second part, so maybe the same will apply here.
Ugh, reading this made me even more mad that WotC didn't play up the fact that Selesnyans had wolf riders, and a good number of them too. But no, they had to go and make elemental temples ... Pssh! If they weren't going to make wolf rider cards the least they could have done was make the 2/2 white knight vigilance token a knight who rides a wolf, and it would have been fine and still mostly appear in Selesnya decks.. But no, it's a generic knight on a generic horse ... /Whining over.

Look forward to part 2!
Good, inner conflicts within the Selesnya. The dryad sounds positively diabolical.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
LEAVE THE GRUUL ALONE!!!!!
ten thousand years ago you stole their color pie and duties to the guildpact, and now your back to finish the job. you preach, but you don't love nature any more than the orzhov or azorius do.

however, awesome story. im hoping ruzi will turn out to be the selesnya champion, and that he'll meet either borborgymos or the gruul champion in the story.
I wonder if Jenna knew that in Japanese, "Kuma" means "bear". Strange name for a wolf.
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg)
I wonder if Jenna knew that in Japanese, "Kuma" means "bear". Strange name for a wolf.

Fine for a fat wolf Smile. So for men.

I was thinking the same thing.

Loved the storytelling.  Admittedly, the way it started out, I originally though the story would be about the young wolf rider girl and Tiptoes, her wolf, but this is fine too.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Ugh, reading this made me even more mad that WotC didn't play up the fact that Selesnyans had wolf riders, and a good number of them too. But no, they had to go and make elemental temples ... Pssh! If they weren't going to make wolf rider cards the least they could have done was make the 2/2 white knight vigilance token a knight who rides a wolf, and it would have been fine and still mostly appear in Selesnya decks.. But no, it's a generic knight on a generic horse ... /Whining over. Look forward to part 2!

A wolf on its own is a 2/2. A wolf riding-knight should be bulkier. 

Also, elemental temples are awesome.

however, awesome story. im hoping ruzi will turn out to be the selesnya champion, and that he'll meet either borborgymos or the gruul champion in the story.

We probably won't. The title of the next story is "Thrill Kill Assassin". 
Ugh, reading this made me even more mad that WotC didn't play up the fact that Selesnyans had wolf riders, and a good number of them too. But no, they had to go and make elemental temples ... Pssh! If they weren't going to make wolf rider cards the least they could have done was make the 2/2 white knight vigilance token a knight who rides a wolf, and it would have been fine and still mostly appear in Selesnya decks.. But no, it's a generic knight on a generic horse ... /Whining over. Look forward to part 2!

Also, elemental temples are awesome.

We probably won't. The title of the next story is "Thrill Kill Assassin". 

don't rain on my fantasy
but he is going to the rubblebelt, the home of the gruul. so he might meet both
Even money his sister's a Meat-eatin', Hard-fightin', Gruul Badass now.

3/4 maybe. By the way, anyone knows how did the end up last time with Voja?
@fireballmage

Please, if your gonna use that metric then the knight token as is, isn't bulky enough already. Considering knights on their own are at least 2/1 and horses are 2/3s (Armored Warhorse), so it should really be 4/4 :P

I was speaking in terms of flavor and art. I wouldn't change the creature type to be " Knight Wolf ". Just have the art depict the knights mount as a selesnyan wolf and it would have been cool. These are just tokens after all, and in the last set we had two different wolf tokens. I doubt it would have caused any issues. Just another case if unused, probably unseen, potential.

that would be awesome!!! it would, to my knowledge, be one of the first depictions of a woman gruul.

I wonder, because thrill-kill assassin is a Rakdos card. Also, no Gruul in Return to Ravnica. Might have to wait til the next expansion. 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild

that would be awesome!!! it would, to my knowledge, be one of the first depictions of a woman gruul.

Wild Cantor's got yah beat. The Gruul are equal opportunity smashing.

There is also a very nice looking Gruul woman in the "Which Guild are you" quiz.

Wild Cantor's got yah beat. The Gruul are equal opportunity smashing.

There is also a very nice looking Gruul woman in the "Which Guild are you" quiz.

Curses. allow me to qualify-first woman who didn't just raise mana.