Black Red Control Discard

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
The idea of this deck is to wipe out thier creatures, and thier hand then use underworld connections + the life gain to keep card advantage, and use Desecration Demon, Olivia, and Ring of Xathrid (plus even nighthawk) to control the board late game.

I think this could be considered a tier 1 deck after all the work I put into this deck.

Lands:21
4x Dragonskull summit
4x blood crypt
13x swamp

Cards:40
2x elixir of immortality (life gain + replenish deck late)
2x duress (turn 1 peak at hand/remove big threat is so good)
2x appetite for brains (turn 1 peak at hand/remove big threat is so good)
4x tragic slip
2x ring of xathrid (This + nighthawk or olivia vs top decking opponent is LOL)
3x Dreadbore
4x vampire nighthawk (This guy is my favorite creature in entire MTG)
3x underworld connections (with the life gain in this deck, I can draw 2 cards per turn easy)
3x tribute to hunger (life gain + Sac, I like this after a board wipe vs the late game fatties)
2x slaughter games ("ThragTusk" is all that needs to be said here)
1x rakdos's return (finish hand + damage what isnt there to like about this card)
3x bonfire of the damned
4x mutilate
3x Desecration demon (this guy is just beast. Especially after a mutilate or a Bonfire.)
2x olivia voldaren (Striaght Control Creature)

sideboard:
4x pillar of flame
2x duress
2x appetite for brains
1x Rakdos's revenge
3x rakdos charm
2x mind rot
1x dreadbore

Worry only about the current. Think about the rest. And you wont have to worry.

Needs 4 more Mutilate.
Needs 4 more Mutilate.

was that sarcasm as in you think i need to take out a mutilate or two?

not that id listen to your troll posts again but anyone else agree?

I would suggest adding black cat to your deck he is a chump blocker that makes them randomly discard a card, would also add another shrieking affliction, the purpose of your deck would be to delay them as long as possible while clearing their hand so having multiples of shrieking afflictions on the board would be the way you would win. Essence harvest is a fun card but you don't have enough creatures to support it, deathrite shamanwould fit into this deck he can give you life when you need it and he can also be a reliable means of doing damage to the enemy over time. vampire nighthawk would be good for this deck, he is a threat to big creatures from ramp decks and can stand up to most beaters from aggro decks all while giving you life, and hes flying on top of that. rakdos keyrune would be a welcomed addition to this deck I believe it is hard to kill a 3/1 first striker he would provide a very useful cover from anyone that might attack you while being able to tap for mana; I might also suggest tablet of guilds a lot of your spells are going to be realatively cheap so being able to get life everytime you cast a 1mana spell like duress or appetite for brains might prove useful, although probably not, just an idea. havoc festival might be useful, if your doing 3 damage to them every turn anyways from shrieking affliction then it might prove useful. stab wound would be a good way to weaken enemy fatties while dealing 2 damage to them every upkeep, guttersnipe would fit into this deck as well dealing 2 damage to them and discarding one of their cards would be a good use for duress plus with him on the field even if they don't have any cards in their hands its still 2 damage for 1 mana.

theres a lot of options
Needs 4 more Mutilate.

was that sarcasm as in you think i need to take out a mutilate or two?

not that id listen to your troll posts again but anyone else agree?

this is going to be more of a controlish varriant of BR anyways so I would keep your mutilates in.
Lol, I am a troll, but that was a legitimate oversight. Sorry.
Deck could definitely use some lands (seriously).
I would suggest adding black cat to your deck he is a chump blocker that makes them randomly discard a card, would also add another shrieking affliction, the purpose of your deck would be to delay them as long as possible while clearing their hand so having multiples of shrieking afflictions on the board would be the way you would win. Essence harvest is a fun card but you don't have enough creatures to support it, deathrite shamanwould fit into this deck he can give you life when you need it and he can also be a reliable means of doing damage to the enemy over time. vampire nighthawk would be good for this deck, he is a threat to big creatures from ramp decks and can stand up to most beaters from aggro decks all while giving you life, and hes flying on top of that. rakdos keyrune would be a welcomed addition to this deck I believe it is hard to kill a 3/1 first striker he would provide a very useful cover from anyone that might attack you while being able to tap for mana; I might also suggest tablet of guilds a lot of your spells are going to be realatively cheap so being able to get life everytime you cast a 1mana spell like duress or appetite for brains might prove useful, although probably not, just an idea. havoc festival might be useful, if your doing 3 damage to them every turn anyways from shrieking affliction then it might prove useful. stab wound would be a good way to weaken enemy fatties while dealing 2 damage to them every upkeep, guttersnipe would fit into this deck as well dealing 2 damage to them and discarding one of their cards would be a good use for duress plus with him on the field even if they don't have any cards in their hands its still 2 damage for 1 mana.

theres a lot of options

GOOD CALL on the black cats and the deathrite shamans,

I did take out essence harvest because I think the demon is a win condition in himself that doesnt need the harvest,

as for the rest.. the nighthawk is no, I dont want a turn 3 creature when turn 4 Im gonna mutilate anyway, the rakdos keyrune is not needed, Im not aggro so i would need to keep the mana open for defence, when I would rather use a dreadbore with the 2 mana or something else... and the extra mana isnt needed as a replacement of my turn 3 lol.

I think havoc festival is really good but what should i take out for it.. and how would the triggers work with havoc and affliction together? would havoc trigger first or affliction trigger first? I need explaination of that please.

Lol, I am a troll, but that was a legitimate oversight. Sorry.
Deck could definitely use some lands (seriously).

Nah bro only losers use lands.

If you're running deathrite shamans you should run ghost towns. In which case there's enough manabase issues you should post yer lands so we can discuss.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

If you're running deathrite shamans you should run ghost towns. In which case there's enough manabase issues you should post yer lands so we can discuss.

eh, good thought but I dont wanna end up with a missing land drop.

plus the other player will most likely discard lands that I can use for mana bonuses anyway

plus the other player will most likely discard lands that I can use for mana bonuses anyway

can anyone answer the question of how a havoc and affliction together would trigger during the other guys upkeep? I need to know this before I decide to put on of these in for a desecration demon..

I've always enjoyed Altar's Reap on Black Cat for block/sac.
I've always enjoyed Altar's Reap on Black Cat for block/sac.

I've thought about that as well, although what if I have altar's reap and no black cat? lol do you think its worth taking that risk and replacing the sign in bloods?

imo no, because consistancy is better than potential

can anyone answer the question of how a havoc and affliction together would trigger during the other guys upkeep? I need to know this before I decide to put on of these in for a desecration demon..

The owner of the spell picks what order they go in on the stack.

Honestly, a Ghost Town + Shaman combo nets you 3 mana of whatever color you want. Great for those unexpected Bonfire draws. Otherwise I'd be using her as a pinger, emptying my opponent's graveyard. You can't always rely on an opponent's discard choices, especially in a format that'll see graveyards filling up with creatures by choice. 

you guys dropped the ball.

no one said mizzium mortars yet. cya later devil's play and brimstone volley.

can you link "ghost town" b/c I dont know what card your talking about..

more ideas for you, perhaps you should add curse of death's hold once it hits the field its hard for aggro decks to recover (although we don't know if this will shut them down once ravnica hits). tribute to hunger will probably be something worth putting into your deck in case you run into a hexproof creature, theres gunna be a few anouying ones out there when RtR hits, plus it gains you life and its instant. might want to sideboard sever the bloodline in case g/w tokens takes off, truthfully theres not much people on the forums can suggest right now once the scars blocks rotates the meta game is going to change entirely, its hard to prepare for something when you don't know what will be good; but we can always speculate

Edit: also if you can get your hands on some of the shocklands they would prove useful for you its always nice to be able to tap a land for red mana or black mana and still have it contribute to your mutilate.
can you link "ghost town" b/c I dont know what card your talking about..

ghost quarter
thats what land I thought he was talking about. and no thats not worth it. Ill keep my swamps for mutilate rather than prepare for the only bonfire in my deck lol.. and if theres no lands discarded thats ok i can deal damage or gain life.. the shaman isnt needed for ramp my highest cmc is 4 -_-

I dont see any hexproof creatures in RTR? Although thats definitely sideboard neway lol but what hexproof is there gonna be in rtr?

curse of the death's hold is nah.. too expensive of a card to cast.

should i add underworld connections to the deck? I didnt realize until now you can tap the other persons land. thats insanely good.

underworld connections would be better served on your side of the feild, if they tap the land they get the card; but ya I think that would be a good thing for this deck

I was referencing geist of saint traft and invisible stalker, I say invis stalker because I can see a U/W/G deck coming out with a deck based around hitting you with a invisible stalker/geist of saint traft with things like Ethereal Armor/righteous authority/runechanter's pike/rancor on them to hit you for an extreme amount; On top of all that, the discarding theme your going for would only help runechanter's pike become even more of a threat. They make you waste your mutilates on one creature when they have 4 other creatures with hexproof in their hands.

might also want to add rakdos charms to your sideboard in case you run into any deck that uses their graveyard as a resource, tokens, or things like runechanter's pike
I think the biggest problem for this deck will be plucking creatures from your enemies hands, losing despise is going to really suck, its by far more useful than its counterpart, duress, in a creature based meta game; hopefully the game will become less creature dependant after the rotation so duress, and appetite for brains can fill the void.
I think the biggest problem for this deck will be plucking creatures from your enemies hands, losing despise is going to really suck, its by far more useful than its counterpart, duress, in a creature based meta game; hopefully the game will become less creature dependant after the rotation so duress, and appetite for brains can fill the void.

yea but if i get duress off, a mind rot should do the trick

Honestly, the biggest problem for this deck is getting started. Any ramp/aggro decks will have a much stronger board position by the time this deck gets started. The version I'm working on is much more removal-focused.

As for discard/deathrite/ghost quarter -- you mentioned you wanted consistency, and your opponent, especially early game, won't be discarding land unless they're dumb and keep a flooded hand or get screwed with consecutive land draws. Maybe mid game or late game, but by then you'll already have your mana fix and deathrite just becomes a graveyard miner... so I don't know if you need two in your decklist.  

Have you created a revised list?  

Honestly, the biggest problem for this deck is getting started. Any ramp/aggro decks will have a much stronger board position by the time this deck gets started. The version I'm working on is much more removal-focused.

As for discard/deathrite/ghost quarter -- you mentioned you wanted consistency, and your opponent, especially early game, won't be discarding land unless they're dumb and keep a flooded hand or get screwed with consecutive land draws. Maybe mid game or late game, but by then you'll already have your mana fix and deathrite just becomes a graveyard miner... so I don't know if you need two in your decklist.  

Yea I will take out 1 shaman, its only a two mana deck with just a splash of red so I dont need mana fixing, and I dont think a ramp deck will go well vs a discard deck? especially if i duress the ramp out of thier hand turn 1...

and it is revised now, i always keep it updated

Yea I will take out 1 shaman, its only a two mana deck with just a splash of red so I dont need mana fixing, and I dont think a ramp deck will go well vs a discard deck? especially if i duress the ramp out of thier hand turn 1...

I don't see a lot of Farseek being maindecked, at least in this forum. I see more arbor elves and avacyn's pilgrims, which falls outside of Duress's abilities. I think I originally said Duress is a SB card, and this was my reasoning. Against GW you might get lucky and discard a Rancor, but a lot of these GW decklists I've seen are playing a ridiculous small amount of Duress targets. The BG and BR builds have more removal, but they also have playable T1 and T2 creatures that'll beat you to death if left unanswered. The U builds are better targets, but UR aggro might become a thing and they too have great T1 and T2 and T3 creatures. 

I am not worried about weenie decks man, yes aggro is the weakness as opposed to control but check the sideboard.

if they use a lot of 1-3 mc creatures, i swap in the 4x pillar of flame and the 3x vile rebirth and completely crush the early game.

on a side note I think i will change sign in blood with underworld connections because its just better once turn 5 hits I will be free to draw cards..

I don't see a lot of Farseek being maindecked, at least in this forum. I see more arbor elves and avacyn's pilgrims, which falls outside of Duress's abilities. I think I originally said Duress is a SB card, and this was my reasoning. Against GW you might get lucky and discard a Rancor, but a lot of these GW decklists I've seen are playing a ridiculous small amount of Duress targets. The BG and BR builds have more removal, but they also have playable T1 and T2 creatures that'll beat you to death if left unanswered. The U builds are better targets, but UR aggro might become a thing and they too have great T1 and T2 and T3 creatures. 

your so lost with the "mana dork ramp" matchup. Why on earth would I be scared if they drop a mana dork or two on the board. So they can turn 3 drop a 5 drop creature into my dreadbore or mizzium mortars? like mana dorks vs my deck are just cards that I dont have to worry about, and it makes Mind rot even better when it hits because they only will have what they want to be "ramping" into. So i dont get it?

also mana dork ramp decks tend to have a high % mana deck and are terrible when they have to rely on top decking, which is what will happen vs my deck.

*facepalm* I didn't see the SB. What can I say? Coffee's not working like it used to.

Have you actually playtested this yet or is it all on the forum? 

*facepalm* I didn't see the SB. What can I say? Coffee's not working like it used to.

lol yea SB's are awesome XD

no I dont know any good play testing sites so its just forums until the cards come out

lol yea SB's are awesome XD

no I dont know any good play testing sites so its just forums until the cards come out

I keep a stack of crap cards and write on the back of them and slip them in sleeves, then play them in casual games at FNM before/after whatever tourney I'm in starts. Something about the physicality of it helps how I perceive deck fixes.

My last question I think I have right now is black cat or ravenous rats

I know black cat is random, but it has to die... that could be a couple turns later.

I think if i use ravenous rats it will be more effective because rats followed up with mind rot, is 3 cards.. that leaves them with 2-3 left in thier hand and I think the rest of my deck can handle w/e they got.

Should i go with rats so i can get the instant discard effect?

I heart random card discard, but basically you're left with your opponent deciding when to attack and risk random discard. I don't like letting my opponent decide how effective my card can be, so I'd rather go with the immediacy of Ravenous. Ravenous is also great late game when they're left topdecking.

I also took out 1 duress and added a liliana, i figure she will be a great card to have once the other person is top decking lol

After a little bit of testing last night, this is the list I'm looking at currently:

I thought about the but I hesitate due to not being able to use his third ability for lifegain. I was not comfortable splashing a third color. Is he worth it for just the situational mana fixing and life drain?

Also I think Liliana is a good call in this deck, I'll have to see if I can squeeze her in.

My meta is pretty aggro, hence the main deck Pillars. The only issue I have is Pillar doesn't trigger morbid for Tragic Slip, which is kind of annoying, so I may SB the Pillars in favor of something like Mizzium Mortars and switch them out with Tragic Slip versus Zombies etc.
After a little bit of testing last night, this is the list I'm looking at currently:

I thought about the but I hesitate due to not being able to use his third ability for lifegain. I was not comfortable splashing a third color. Is he worth it for just the situational mana fixing and life drain?

Also I think Liliana is a good call in this deck, I'll have to see if I can squeeze her in.

My meta is pretty aggro, hence the main deck Pillars. The only issue I have is Pillar doesn't trigger morbid for Tragic Slip, which is kind of annoying, so I may SB the Pillars in favor of something like Mizzium Mortars and switch them out with Tragic Slip versus Zombies etc.

Yea liliana will be worth it I think

also the the deathrite shaman will trigger creatures b/c thats what the dreadbore and tragic slip is for, plus aggro decks will have no choice but to discard creatures too...

keep in mind its not just your graveyard its any graveyard.

Wouldn't Stab Wound be a great staller and dmg dealer for longer games?
Wouldn't Stab Wound be a great staller and dmg dealer for longer games?

yea stab wound is also a good call, i might actually make it have 3 so i can combo it with the afflictions

So I was thinking of creating a B/R control deck as well. Is there a particular reason you do not want to add burn to it? I feel like Havoc Festival and Guttersnipe can add a different dimension to this type of deck.
So I was thinking of creating a B/R control deck as well. Is there a particular reason you do not want to add burn to it? I feel like Havoc Festival and Guttersnipe can add a different dimension to this type of deck.

I am going to try out havoc festival when I start playing, other than that guttersnipe is a bad card in my opinion lol but thats just me. Im not changing this deck until I play with it..

I am going to try out havoc festival when I start playing, other than that guttersnipe is a bad card in my opinion lol but thats just me. Im not changing this deck until I play with it..

Don't knock it until you try it, everytime i've had a Snipe out, he's done somewhere between 6-10 damage.  Especially when you're playing him against creature heavy decks, a Bonfire or Mortars allows him to swing in for extra damage.  I had my doubts too, but he does work AND/OR your opponent wastes removal on your 2/2 Goblin.    
Nty to guttersnipe.. its just MY opinion hes bad lol.

So this is the final deck list, I will be testing it tomorrow night at FNM!

Sign In to post comments