Monkey On My Back: A Helper/Skilled Monkey's Stats

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey folks!

I'm desiging a pet companion for the player in my undermountain campaign, and suggested a couple of options to them.  It seems like they are most interested in a monkey, which I figured would be pretty easy to find in the markets of Waterdeep, besides being a hoot to get to control during non-combat interactions. 
Now as a twist that the player isn't expecting, I was going to increase the monkeys intelligence and give it some rogue skills to compliment the barabarian my player is running.
Unfortunately I cannot find a stat block for a simple monkey.  The closest I got was the ape stats in the Monster Vault.   I can scale those stats down to make it a small or tiny creature, but I was wondering if anyone else could point me towards stats that are closer to what I was looking for?
There is this Monkey animal companion from the Animal Master Theme that has an interesting Roguish Trait:

Monkey                                                                                                                  Tiny natural beast
Level 1 Minion Skirmisher                                                                                                           XP 0
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.                                                      Initiative +5
AC 14 Fortitude 10, Reflex 12, Will 10 ; add your level to each defense         Perception +0
Speed 6, climb 6
Traits
Nimble Fingers
While within 10 squares of the monkey, the monkey's master can take a standard action to
command it to make a Thievery check to pick a pocket as a free action, using the master's
Thievery modifier with a +2 bonus.
Skills Acrobatics +8
Str 5 (-3)                Dex 17 (+3)                Wis 10 (0)
Con 12 (+1)                Int 4 (-3)                Cha 13 (+1)
Alignment Unaligned        Languages -

Monkey: This monkey is a small one of 10 pounds or less, such as a capuchin, a marmoset,
or a grivet. Monkeys are excellent climbers and can manipulate objects easily.

Published in 
Dragon Magazine 399. 

oh that's perfect!
thanks for the knowledge

I'll probably adapt the nimble fingers to be an independent skill, so that it can add an option for thievery skill that the player doesn't have. 
Sign In to post comments