Return to Ravnica Prerelease & Release Events

32 posts / 0 new
Last post

A new article is up detailing the Prerelease and Release Events for Return to Ravnica. The events will begin earlier than ever before, starting with the Prerelease on October 13th at Midnight and running through the weekend. See the article for full details on how events will be run, and discuss your feedback in this thread as we draw closer to the Return to Ravnica.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Oh so the pre-release isn't really the 12th? I guess I knew in the back of my mind that the date wasn't really the 12th....

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Oh well I hope I can reschedule my vacation.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

A new article is up detailing the Prerelease and Release Events for Return to Ravnica. The events will begin earlier than ever before, starting with the Prerelease on October 13th at Midnight and running through the weekend. See the article for full details on how events will be run, and discuss your feedback in this thread as we draw closer to the Return to Ravnica.

Link not working so heres one that does.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Link not working so heres one that does.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Fixed the original. Thanks Joe

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Bleh, why couldn't they just make guild marks tradeable?  Either that or they need to make Event tickets a currency in their own store.  

I was really looking forward to these, but I haven't purchased anything from the store in over a year.  It's a hassle for me, and I have plenty of tickets, packs, and cards, and I wasn't planning on putting any more money into my account for a long time.  I really wanted to play in a lot of these, but it looks like I will be waiting for release events.

Edit:  Missed the fact that I could still draft during the Prerelease for 15 tickets.  No longer disappointed, and will be happy to partake in a few fairly-priced swiss drafts  
Two things I don't like about the new prereleases.

First. We are forced to use the store although we have tickets already. Would it be possible to make a purchuse with the ingame currency (tickets)?

Second. Who gets any benifit if you make a super scarse Avatars? I never played any premier draft but since they last only 3 weeks there could not be so many top8 players around. Let's say 100 drafts fire so only 800 Avatars are released. Ever. That's sad since I wish to acquire all the Avatars but this makes it very difficult since the prices for these can go abnormaly high. Would it be possible to sell a special Avatar booster where you get random Avatars from the past. Assuming the price is resonable. Let's say 2 tickets for 15 random Avatars.
Just realized that with the new Prerelease schedule where there is nothing Friday night I won't be able to play this Pre-Release which coincidentally is the first one I've been excited about playing due to the format... Cry

*EDIT* just realized that I actually can play that Saturday as my wife has to work all day! Yippee! Laughing
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
You know, with the reduced total price and the similarities to the paper experience, I may just play an event this time around.

Yes, I also think you should have made the guildmarks tradable rather than forcing us to go to the store. But still, kudos on making me excited for a prerelease for pretty much the first time ever.
ricklongo and RicardoLongo on MTGO. Check out my articles at PureMTGO
man this is really messed up, they are forcing players to pay the store $5 for each prerelease you do because the guildmark gets used up each sealed i am assuming and they don't reward any in your prizes

this is a big upset for someone who likes to play in a bunch of prereleases over the week end
Second. Who gets any benifit if you make a super scarse Avatars? I never played any premier draft but since they last only 3 weeks there could not be so many top8 players around. Let's say 100 drafts fire so only 800 Avatars are released. Ever...

I collect avatars, so this caught my interest. The Isperia, Supreme Judge avatars are awarded to the top-8 for both the Top 8 Premier Drafts (of which there are never enough) and the Top 8 Sealed Deck Events. Since these will be scheduled events, we should be able to know the real number once the schedule is out.

5 Avatars for one set? That's got to be a record.

There was an event in the past where you got to select the avatars of our choice for prizes. That was awesome!
I hardly think Wizards is too concerned about people needing to buy something from their store in order to play in a prerelease.
It's not that much different than normal for most players.  The total cost is still $25 (plus tax on anything you buy from the store.)  Instead of 25 tix, you need 20 tix + a $5 guild mark/token.  The marks will no doubt be untradeable and worthless after the PR, knowing WoTC.  This means it is a bad idea to buy enough tokens for the whole weekend, in case you can't enter enough PR events to use them all.  You are also forced to use the store instead of using tix, which will be annoying for some users.  This could potentially encourage people to try to sell cards/tix in exchange for paypal funds to pay for guild tokens.   Those getting into the tix to paypal sales for the first time will find that it's not much fun at all, and we will see a small surge of scammers trying to make a buck.  Bring on the fun!
The new prerelease/release schedule is realy annoying me. Particularly with the RtR guild choices.

The old system with a week gap felt like a proper PRE-release. And for that reason I could understand the higher price and the appeal to some people, even though I always avoided them.
Then you reduced the price and I thought that was a good deal even though it still wasn't worth it to me.

Now these new ones don't feel like PRE-releases at all. A three day event that runs straight into a full release just doesn't feel very PRE to me.

But the bit that annoyed me enough to post is that I think the guild choice gimmick is actually quite a good idea. It might have actually gotten me to play in a proper PRE-release. But to pay extra for less prizes when I could just wait 3 days bugs me a lot.
However I might still have done it untill I saw there were 5 different release avatars and how you planned on releasing them. I prefer avatars to promo cards and to guarantee 3 of them I'm going to have to play at least one event I don't want to. Which will take away from my chances of getting one of the winning avatars.

If you made the release events use the guild packs I'd be happy. If the pre-release events had a better EV I'd be happy. If I could get a higher percentage of the avatars without playing a format I don't like I'd be happy. 

As it is I'm just annoyed by the whole thing.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

The new prerelease/release schedule is realy annoying me. Particularly with the RtR guild choices.

The old system with a week gap felt like a proper PRE-release. And for that reason I could understand the higher price and the appeal to some people, even though I always avoided them.

Wait, you're complaining about the shortening of the gap, which people have been asking for for ages now? I see it but I can't believe it.

The way it was before, we had almost three days where people simply had zero incentive to even open MTGO. There was a new set, but no limited events using it. There were new constructed formats, but not card availability to play in them. Simply put, dead time.

Extinguishing that dead time is one of the best things WotC has done in quite a while, along with pulling the MTGO release closer to the paper release.

Also, as we can all see in this very announcement, the prerelease events still have plenty going on to make them feel special (this time around, guild allegiances / guild packs). You can tell because people like me, who never ever played in prereleases, are actually excited about it now.

Wait, you're complaining about the shortening of the gap, which people have been asking for for ages now? I see it but I can't believe it.

The way it was before, we had almost three days where people simply had zero incentive to even open MTGO. There was a new set, but no limited events using it. There were new constructed formats, but not card availability to play in them. Simply put, dead time.

Extinguishing that dead time is one of the best things WotC has done in quite a while, along with pulling the MTGO release closer to the paper release.

Also, as we can all see in this very announcement, the prerelease events still have plenty going on to make them feel special (this time around, guild allegiances / guild packs). You can tell because people like me, who never ever played in prereleases, are actually excited about it now.

I never liked the pre-releases. I actually prefered it before we had them online. When they just released the set without trying to drag out an extra couple of tix for the privilage of owning cards a week before you could use them.

That said they did used to be PRE-releases. Now they are more like an intro event. And again I don't mind the events themselves, they look fun and intersting.
But the difference in value should be even more obvious now the events are so close together. Is a promo version of a bulk rare really worth that much more than an avatar? You don't even get much of a head start on owning the cards.

Is there any way to sort the cards that will be in each guild booster pack? (i.e. All cards deemed "Golgari" in the Golgari guild booster)

I know I can just take a pen, paper and time to write each card with their respective watermarks out from the sortable spoiler, but wanted to know if anyone did it for me first.
Is anyone else just underwhelmed with the cardpool? It could be my favorite guilds aren't in this expansion, but overall I just don't see very many cards that scream "build a deck around me".
Also, stop calling it a Pre anything. It's post launch. If you really want to charge for cards the same, view the value of the players the same, and still not insult their intelligence, just drop the Pre. It's 3 letters that we use differently here in MODO anyway.
Is there any way to sort the cards that will be in each guild booster pack? (i.e. All cards deemed "Golgari" in the Golgari guild booster)

You can search by guild mark on Gatherer. Here are the Golgari cards.

You can search by guild mark on Gatherer. Here are the Golgari cards.

Aha. Thanks for the head's up.
man this is really messed up, they are forcing players to pay the store $5 for each prerelease you do because the guildmark gets used up each sealed i am assuming and they don't reward any in your prizes

this is a big upset for someone who likes to play in a bunch of prereleases over the week end

I suppose the guildmark won't use up. It is a badge for your identity like the paper release. And I think you will need it later for a RAV+RTR block event like the Mirrodin event.

This is also the first prelease event that get me excited. But it's a pity online player can only get the badge (guildmark) but not the letter (maybe an "email"?). Really wish can get the Dimir badge and a letter from the new guildmaster in Gatecrash.

I agree with timotheos this time the prelease doesn't sound so PRE. But neither does it hurt.

I suppose the guildmark won't use up. It is a badge for your identity like the paper release. And I think you will need it later for a RAV+RTR block event like the Mirrodin event.

This is also the first prelease event that get me excited. But it's a pity online player can only get the badge (guildmark) but not the letter (maybe an "email"?). Really wish can get the Dimir badge and a letter from the new guildmaster in Gatecrash.

I agree with timotheos this time the prelease doesn't sound so PRE. But neither does it hurt.

The Guild Mark will be used when you enter the prerelase queue.  While we won't be able to deliver the Guild letter to players, if you view the full details of the Guild Mark in the Magic Online Store you will be able to read the letters for each guild. 

The Guild Mark will be used when you enter the prerelase queue.  While we won't be able to deliver the Guild letter to players, if you view the full details of the Guild Mark in the Magic Online Store you will be able to read the letters for each guild. 

Thanks for clarification Smile
I never liked the pre-releases. I actually prefered it before we had them online. When they just released the set without trying to drag out an extra couple of tix for the privilage of owning cards a week before you could use them.

That said they did used to be PRE-releases. Now they are more like an intro event. And again I don't mind the events themselves, they look fun and intersting.
But the difference in value should be even more obvious now the events are so close together. Is a promo version of a bulk rare really worth that much more than an avatar? You don't even get much of a head start on owning the cards.

I understand that, but I agree with Kensuu that it doesn't really matter; the semantics of "pre"-releases really shouldn't be key here.

As it is, they're making it a special event, with the extreme coolness factor of getting to open guild packs. I believe it's this sort of thing that should mark the online prerelease experience, not owning cards while the prices are inflated, or getting inb4 three days of dead time.
[
As it is, they're making it a special event, with the extreme coolness factor of getting to open guild packs. I believe it's this sort of thing that should mark the online prerelease experience, not owning cards while the prices are inflated, or getting inb4 three days of dead time.

I think it is partly the coolness factor that is actaually bugging me. That and the semantics.

These are probably some of the shortest duration on demand events they do. And in my opinion probably some of the coolest. 
I think they could be much better and drive more sales by running longer. But their insistance of calling these PRE-releases even though they are not realy PRE is spoiling them with an overly limited availability.

Well the tossing is over and the dust settles on another prerelease. My hat is off to WotC. I had serious reservations about this event as the helvault disaster is still fresh in my mind but I really gotta hand it to you guys. Very carefully thought out, Packaging, Instructions, Promos (with dates!!!) and guild playing cards as well as support material designs were all top notch. The achievement cards got little use at our event but they were well done, even if the players weren't interested.

You have my thanks.

Gary Adkison
Well the tossing is over and the dust settles on another prerelease. My hat is off to WotC. I had serious reservations about this event as the helvault disaster is still fresh in my mind but I really gotta hand it to you guys. Very carefully thought out, Packaging, Instructions, Promos (with dates!!!) and guild playing cards as well as support material designs were all top notch. The achievement cards got little use at our event but they were well done, even if the players weren't interested. You have my thanks. Gary Adkison

Wrong pre-release thread. This is for the online one which hasn't happened yet and which doesn't include half of the fun stuff you mentioned.

Did I get confused as well? Did Tim Willoughby say the Guild Prelease booster pack only has one possible rare - the guild master www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I joined the Izzet league online but I only got something like Mizzium Mortars or Conjured Currency. Where has the legendary dragon gone??   
So I caved in and played one. And I've got to say without all the related paper events, the earning planeswalker points for your guild, the achievements card, the welcome leter, etc. These just aren't as cool as I had hoped. And definately not cool enough to for the extra cost and lowered prizes.

Did I get confused as well? Did Tim Willoughby say the Guild Prelease booster pack only has one possible rare - the guild master www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I joined the Izzet league online but I only got something like Mizzium Mortars or Conjured Currency. Where has the legendary dragon gone??   

The articale says one rare/mythic rare. If you get a mythic it will definately be the guild leader but if you only get a rare it could be any in your guild colours.

So I caved in and played one. And I've got to say without all the related paper events, the earning planeswalker points for your guild, the achievements card, the welcome leter, etc. These just aren't as cool as I had hoped. And definately not cool enough to for the extra cost and lowered prizes.

The articale says one rare/mythic rare. If you get a mythic it will definately be the guild leader but if you only get a rare it could be any in your guild colours.

Read it again.

Every guild booster should have the pre-release promo card, so if you played Izzet you should have a foil Hypersonic Dragon with the promo set symbol. However, I don't see Hypersonic anywhere on the promo tab (I do see the other guild leaders). I would contact Customer Service and see what they say.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Read it again.

Every guild booster should have the pre-release promo card, so if you played Izzet you should have a foil Hypersonic Dragon with the promo set symbol. However, I don't see Hypersonic anywhere on the promo tab (I do see the other guild leaders). I would contact Customer Service and see what they say.

I think they are talking about getting Niv-Mizzet. Which would be garunteed if the rare in the promo pack was mythic. However if the rare was only rare it couild be any rare with the guild mark, plus the promo hypersonic dragon.

I played in one as well and while it was fun, I am looking forward to the regular release events.

After playing in the paper PRE and one online one I have to say I'm not 100% a fan of the guild pack thing, it kinda felt like in most cases your deck was made for you, felt like it took alot of the decisions out of sealed deckbuilding because unless another guild had a *massive* number of playables, or your guild was completely unplayable, it was just a matter of "Drag all cards of you chosen guilds colours to the deck screen, remove unplayables, add land, submit."
LOTS of bugs with new release. Rakdos Lord of Riots ability doesn't trigger. Golgari Keyrune can't block. I cast Skull Rend and my opponent only discarded one card. That was all in one event.

I just cast Revenge of the Hunted on Loxodon Smiter in a constructed game and my opponent wasn't forced to block.