Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for October, 2012

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of October, 2012.
As a player who has little experience beyond 2-color decks, is there an easy way to tell if an opening hand is worth keeping at 4 colors? Or does the decision come from experience with playing the deck itself?
As a player who has little experience beyond 2-color decks, is there an easy way to tell if an opening hand is worth keeping at 4 colors? Or does the decision come from experience with playing the deck itself?

It is pretty much impossible to make a (legitimate) guide to mulliganing for ANY deck. Even general guidelines are often way too misleading (for example, "always mulligan one land hands" is a very dangerous mentality because it's correct to keep one land hands in some situations). As with any deck in Magic, for you to become familiar with when to mulligan and when not to, you will need to pilot the deck and see how various hands play out to figure out what to keep and what not to keep.

If you have lands of one color but cards of another, that's an easy mull (usually). If you have lands of one color and cards of that color, but no easy way to get your third/fourth color, then it's definitely worth considering. It depends a lot on what proportions the colors are in--you need to consider how many cards you could draw that would be effectively blank. If you only have a few white cards, it doesn't matter much that there's no white in the opener. If your only black is the flashback on Lingering Souls, then you could never see a black source for the entire match and be fine. By contrast, if you're trying to play Gideon, Tamiyo, and Black Sun's Zenith (all of which have double-color in the casting cost), you should be very wary of any hand that doesn't give a good mix of mana. That's one reason why control decks play extra lands, and then devote more deck slots to fixing on top of that.
those riddles were verry entertaining, do more stuff like this wizards
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Riddles I got:
Izzet: Half-Baked Idea
Rakdos: Get Down and Dirty
Selesnya: Strength in Numbers
Boros: Place Under Arrest
Dimir: Back-Alley Deal
Orzhov:  Corner the Market

Riddles I failed:
Azorious: Courthouse Square
Golgari: Circle of Life
Gruul: Break the Law
Simic: Cross-Species Technology

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/arc...

That one's awesome, but I really, really liked this one. I wish they credited the colorists somehow, though.
Rules Nut Advisor
Hmm, I really like the Nicol on the 2nd row on the right. Seems very Egyptian'esque ... If that's what they were going for.
"AMERICAN!" Nicol Bolas has me cracking up.
I noticed in DotP Hanna has new artwork. I can't remember what it is, but it may be Nielson's:

shop.tnielsen.com/images/PTHannaShipsNav... 
Those coloring contest entries are great!  I'm really glad to have seen these.

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison
"AMERICAN!" Nicol Bolas has me cracking up.

Yeah, that one and the rainbow power jace. What a wonderful group of pictures, I like them all.

Don't be too smart to have fun
In this Daily Decklist Article about using a Legacy Goblin deck:

G-Men

Conley Woods
Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Why are there 3 Angel of Despair in the sideboard?  I don't get it.
Primal Surge still looks like a giant ooze to me. Sorry.
In this Daily Decklist Article about using a Legacy Goblin deck:

G-Men

Conley Woods
Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Why are there 3 Angel of Despair in the sideboard?  I don't get it.

sneak and tell!
Not going to lie, I'd rather win a Modern Frame Sorrow's Path.
The "Jund Jr." deck link is now broken. Who do we contact to get that fixed?
The "Jund Jr." deck link is now broken. Who do we contact to get that fixed?

Trick Jarrett. You can email him with this link. You can also contact him on his Twitter account: @TrickMTG.
Is it a bad thing that I'm far more excited about the Sorrow's Path than the draft queue + Beast Tracker?  I think it probably is. 
Is it a bad thing that I'm far more excited about the Sorrow's Path than the draft queue + Beast Tracker?  I think it probably is. 

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way...

"But... what if the Community Team loses? What if they are defeated and the streak is broken? They'll get a special 2012 Community Cup version of Sorrow's Path in a modern frame"

But the sorrow's path will not be only for the players of the community cup rather than to everybody?
It's a pretty sad set of options, to be honest. I wish they'd approached the prizes from another route.
Forget the prizes--they're going to be doing Multiball Wacky Drafts! I don't know exactly how the coverage works for the Community Cup, but that's awesome and I will watch those if I can.
On the Golgari Duality daily deck list:I like the flavor but it seems to be running 2 copies of necrogenesis.
I love the Planeswalker control deck, but why Talismans of Dominance and Dimir Signets? There are much faster, stronger, cheaper artifact based ramp available in Legacy.
The only one I got was Nivix Guildmage ... People actually do this for fun? Ugh ... Maybe I wad just doing it wrong, by process of elimination of which possible names had the right letters ... But at 3am my name recalling skills were pfffft!
I got Nivix Guildmage and Blustersquall, but the only reason I got blustersquall was because it was already on my mind from thinking about how to fit it into my deck last night (it didn't end up fitting).

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I was relaxed, but after trying to solve this anagrams i was relaxed no longer D:
Which draft queue won the poll?
I love when standard decks are just as expensive as competitive legacy decks. :/
Cuneo's Enchantress deck, so fun to watch on MTGO.  Played it in the Legacy MOCS to a T8, but I guess the SCG was covered better.

decks.mtgoacademy.com/Decks.aspx?ID=1422...
The guild t-shirts are great, but it would be nice if there was a way to get them that didn't involve paying more for shipping than the shirt itself costs.  FedEx as the onyl shipping option? Really? Even tiny webcomics have figured out how to do decent shipping arragements and they don't have the economies of scale that Wizards has. Come on guys.
Okay, that pun made my sigh. You missed an opportunity to use Violet Pall!

So happy that those pages got posted. Jace is going strait into photoshop (crayons are for babies).
There's something unique and expressive about crayon artwork:

stushieart.com/tag/best-crayons-artists/ 
That's a...less than flattering angle for Gideon.
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
Modern Masters packs. In stores... June 7, 2012????

Were they just exceptionally well-hidden?
I think you had posted the wrong youtube link in the Decklist section. Currently is showing Gerry Thompson's decktech instead of Cifka's.
6 eurodollars a pack?

Wow, too expensive. Mtg is really becoming a game of the richest...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I'm wondering what the price of Modern Masters will be where I live. The gap between the US MRSP of regular a masters packs isn't huge but I'm nervous that the gap will widen when the product goes global.
I suppouse for the countries that never got some of these cards during their intial releases it will be a steal. Too bad for them it's all in English.
Not sure how on earth Cube didn't get all the votes. This thing has to be rigged...