MonoBlack Discard - Ideas?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

+ assorted lands to taste. I envision a Duress > Ravenous Rats > Mind Rot > Mutilate opening following up with a Shrieking Affliction. I feel like it would need more spot removal, maybe from red. Any thoughts? Too slow?
Tragic Slip, Pillar of Flame, and, in the Sideboard, Vile Rebirth. You're going to be sinking most of your early game to removing their creatures, so this needs more removal. Bonfire of the Damned and Killing Wave are all great sweepers too. I'd invest in 4 Blood Artist and 4 Gravecrawlers as well, so you get damage/life when you sweep, catching your life up if you've taken a beating from early beaters while bringing your opponent down. 

Also, I see Essence Harvest as a potentially stellar card when running Desecration Demon.  

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Tragic Slip, Pillar of Flame, and, in the Sideboard, Vile Rebirth. You're going to be sinking most of your early game to removing their creatures, so this needs more removal. Bonfire of the Damned and Killing Wave are all great sweepers too. I'd invest in 4 Blood Artist and 4 Gravecrawlers as well, so you get damage/life when you sweep, catching your life up if you've taken a beating from early beaters while bringing your opponent down. 

Also, I see Essence Harvest as a potentially stellar card when running Desecration Demon.  

Ok, added some more early removal. I'm hesitating to go to less than 23 lands. Maybe sub Bonfire of the Damned for the Brimstone Volleys?

Edit: I guess this isn't really MonoBlack anymore :D. It was when I started, I swear!

Ok, added some more early removal. I'm hesitating to go to less than 23 lands. Maybe sub Bonfire of the Damned for the Brimstone Volleys?

Edit: I guess this isn't really MonoBlack anymore :D. It was when I started, I swear!

-2 underworld connections
+2 duress

-2 rakdos's return
+2 slaughter games

Rakdos's return isnt that good, especially since by the time this card gains value, they should not have more than 1-2 cards in thier hand.. and think about it, they will hold onto thier best card when you make them discard, so use slaughter games instead and remove all copies of thier best card from the game.

and if you need to draw cards you already have sign in blood, so id go with duress to take a turn 1 peak at thier hand to see what your up against/get the best timing for mutilate. I would even go 3 duress 3 mind rot b/c drawing two mind rots by turn 5 really sucks for you.. its just overkill

Worry only about the current. Think about the rest. And you wont have to worry.

+2 duress

-2 rakdos's return
+2 slaughter games

Rakdos's return isnt that good, especially since by the time this card gains value, they should not have more than 1-2 cards in thier hand.. and think about it, they will hold onto thier best card when you make them discard, so use slaughter games instead and remove all copies of thier best card from the game.

and if you need to draw cards you already have sign in blood, so id go with duress to take a turn 1 peak at thier hand to see what your up against/get the best timing for mutilate. I would even go 3 duress 3 mind rot b/c drawing two mind rots by turn 5 really sucks for you.. its just overkill

My Duresses got removed from the list in my last post, but I have 3 in there now. I like Rakdos's Return more for the option to go to my opponent's face with it as a finisher, in addition to hitting their hand if they manage to refill above 1 late game. A Rakdos's Return with a couple of Shrieking Afflictions in play should end it pretty quick. What I may do is:

-2 Underworld Connections
+1 Sign in Blood
+1 Slaughter Games

-1 Mind Rot
+1 Slaughter Games

I would really like to get Essence Harvest in there though...but I think I'll test this out and see what happens. Thanks guys.
The reason I like this deck so much is because I was literally making the same kind of thing.

This is the decklist I came up with, after fixing mine by looking at yours lol..

2x duress
2x appetite for brains
3x tragic slip
4x shrieking affliction
4x ravenous rats
2x devil's play
2x sign in blood
2x Dreadbore
3x mind rot
2x essence harvest
1x bonfire of the damned
4x mutilate
3x brimstone volley
4x Desecration demon

sideboard:
4x pillar of flame zombies swap
3x cower in fear tokens
2x rakdos's return
2x slaughter games
4x vile rebirth vs aggro this could be really nice..

the land is easy:
4 mountain
4 dual lands
15 swamps

+2 duress

-2 rakdos's return
+2 slaughter games

My Duresses got removed from the list in my last post, but I have 3 in there now. I like Rakdos's Return more for the option to go to my opponent's face with it as a finisher, in addition to hitting their hand if they manage to refill above 1 late game. A Rakdos's Return with a couple of Shrieking Afflictions in play should end it pretty quick. What I may do is:

-2 Underworld Connections
+1 Sign in Blood
+1 Slaughter Games

-1 Mind Rot
+1 Slaughter Games

I would really like to get Essence Harvest in there though...but I think I'll test this out and see what happens. Thanks guys.

One other thought about Slaughter Games, I could see it whiffing late game too if my opponent starts holding onto lands to increase their hand count. I might actually go with Dreadbore instead. Other than discard, I don't have much to deal with planeswalkers.
Thats a good idea.. maybe slaughter/rakdos return can be sideboard so vs control decks or stall decks they can be thrown in there and vs aggro/mid range you will have dreadbore..