M'Nool - The Lost Plane

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to M'Nool. Hopefully I finish this one.

The Plane: Outline

Aeons ago, there was a Plane that thrived in peace and harmony with its inhabitants. Life for the residents of this Plane was quiet and prosperous. War did not exist - and there was little to no hardship. The villages of this Plane were easy going places. One could waste afternoon after afternoon dosing off under a tree in the warmth of the daylight. The cities, however, were slightly more bustling. Now don't get me wrong - they weren't teaming with action and mayhem, but if you wanted to have a pleasant time, perhaps meet a stranger, or hear some music, you'd want to go to the cities of this Plane.

One evening, much like all the others, the day was coming to a close. But there was something different about this evening - something exciting. In the hills behind one of the largest and most prosperous cities on the Plane, a flash of light appeared. It disappeared as quickly as it had come, but something remained. A man. He was a 'Walker. He'd come from far away, seeking refuge from his sins, from his past. He sought to forget his deeds. Filled with shame and fear the man slowly headed down the hill. He came to the city. A festival was occurring, and bright lanterns hung overhead. Music filled the ears of all present, and delightful treats were available for consumption.

Looking around at the smiling faces, and hearing the laughter and the strumming of stringed instruments and the blowing of horns, the man was filled with loathing. He hated these people and he hated himself. No, he could not forget the actions that had driven him here - little did he know, his greatest Evil was yet to come. He found a room at an inn, and paying for it with exotic foreign currency, he strode upstairs into his temporary quarters.

A small room, with a large bed, a little desk with a chair, and two red curtains. This was as close to home as the man would ever come again. He removed one of the curtains from its rod and cut a length of it with his sabre. Testing it out, he thought it strong enough. Standing upon the chair, he tossed one end of the torn curtains over the beams that supported the ceiling. He tied a good knot - strong. This knot would hold. Then, a noose.

In the morning, the housekeeper came in to make his bed and bring him a little breakfast. She found him there, in no mood for eating. The authorities were notified and the lowered his lifeless body from suspension. Examining the contents of his pockets, looking for some clue, the found the bottle. Thin and made out of some kind of rough red glass, they peered into it. When they removed the cork that held it shut, everything changed, a misty fog flowed out of it and corrupted the very air. As these men breathed it in, their minds darkened. They began to forget what they were doing, and where they were, and eventually they came to forget even who they were. The fog spread red across the City. As it came into contact with air, it changed the chemical structure into something entirely different - still breathable, but with some nasty side effects.

It didn't take long for the Fog to spread over the entire land, wiping clean memories as it went. Soon, there wasn't a soul on the Plane who could even remember what Plane he or she lived on - and that is the reason I cannot tell you the name of the Plane.

But, a savior did come. Not unlike the spreader of this Fog, she too was a Planeswalker. Using her magic to protect herself, Bliqu'e, crosses the Plane, slowly healing its atmosphere. As she goes, she names everything, and everyone. Without these new and enchanted names the people of this land cannot retain anything. She has chosen to call the Plane M'Nool. Naming each and every person and thing is a slow and grueling process, but Bliqu'e will not stop until it is finished, until all of these nameless faces have become people once more.

Commons - 65/65
Uncommons - 45/45
Rares - 40/40
Mythic - 13/13

Total - 158/158

Geography

M'Nool's geography is not a complex one. The three main continents make up for almost all the land on the plane. The Central Continent of Thuf is the largest. It is quite tumultuous. A landscape that stretches out in quiet chaos. Mountainous Cliffs cascade into Sunken Seas from which sprout Vertical Jungles. It is the least civilized and most hazardous part of the Plane, but often it is the object of interest for the civilized world. Of course, it is not immune to The Fog. After the initial Fog began to spread across Thuf, many of the explorers who were doing research there succumbed to it. Numerous of these began primitive tribes with beast-like hierarchies. Civilization suffered on every continent, but none more-so than Thuf. Thuf is roughly shaped like a horizontal oval. Almost an egg, on its side.

To the West of Thuf, lies Bazzaire, a crescent shaped continent. It is only about a third or the size of Thuf, and it almost strictly civilized. It was from here that the Eastward winds first began to blow The Fog. Before that, numerous principalities would be immersed in constant bureaucratic finaglings. Various courts were sweltering with political upheavals that stretched back a millennium. The Inevitable Fog quieted these halls though. After their minds were gone, there was no reason to continue on in their trivial pursuits. Now, Bazzaire lies in comfortable anarchy. Without motive, man has little will. He strives to survive, and just that.

Mirroring Bazzaire off the Eastern shores of Thuf, lies Vhekek. Vhekek is much like Bazzaire. It always has been. Consider it the dark twin. Where Bazzairian royalty would perhaps verbally insult their competitive continental contenders, Vhekekite royalty would like use cold steel for their insults. The people of Vhekek lived under a great deal of strain, and some were able to rise to power through malice and greed - others were crushed underfoot like so many juicy beetles. The only thing that made Vhekek preferable to Bazzaire for the M'Noolians was the possibility of a passionate life. One could truly live there, instead the dull rutted Bazzairian existence. Of course, one could just as likely die there too. Vhekek was the last place to receive The Fog. And as it now has consumed the mind of every Vhekekite, only nature remains. Vhekekite Nature is not pretty.

Kly, King of Quartz

Before the Fog, Kly had no name. He was merely a court Gargoyle. Finely crafted and nearly purposeless, he patrolled the rooftops and towering halls of a Bazzairian castle. It was a dull life. When the Fog spread he was as effected as anyone, but instead of continuing his vigil, he traveled down to the libraries of the fortress. Within these he taught himself to read and he learned of sorcery. He set out to travel and in his movements he found Pohestre. She returned his mind, and granted him protection from The Fog. After their brief meeting, Kly named himself Kly and went back to the Gargoyles of the fortress. He took command of their bumbling meaningless lives and became lord of the castle. He donned the title of King, and to this day he resides there commanding.

Holksto

Before the Fog, Holksto was called Cryan. He was one of the most feared rascals in Vhekek. He'd steal your gold and eat your dog if he had the chance. Cryan had a lot of deep-seated issues. His childhood had scarred him. When the Fog came and erased his mind, he became much sweeter. He still might steal a little magic from you, but he wouldn't even nibble your canine.

Pohestre

Pohestre came to M'Nool seeking to find information regarding her work with myths and legends across the Multiverse. She found such subjects fascinating and considered herself a young scholar of said topics. What she found was a Plane beyond repair. A true Myth unfolding before her eyes. Mustering her magiks, Pohestre found a way to counteract The Fog. She vowed to save this Lost Plane and become the hero of her own story.

Pio-Shek

Pio-Shek is an enormous sleeping fish. Usually he harmless and blindly drifts through the oceans of M'Nool. It has been said that before The Fog he was awake. It is also said that when his eyes open once again - that is when The Fog will be banished from this world.

Iggimöl

A harmless Frog before The Fog, this dangerous Wizard evolved in an odd manner. Where most people were only lobotomized, he was filled with both knowledge and hatred. Call it a glitch in the mist. Iggy hates The Fog more than anyone, but he also hates the lethargic and apathetic mourners that populate the Plane. He won't work with Pohestre, but he too is doing his part to rid the world of The Fog.

Tshaborex

Tshaborex was once a failed life. A man without mind. Weak, pale, and alone. He was dying, but as he died, he found himself filled with the power of darkness. He rose to his feet and began his murderous waltz. Wandering here and there and feeding. Soon he was an enormous force.

Rhuky

Rhuky Urnlaw is from another Plane. One unknown. He is a sour and foul character. His disposition is that of superiority. He is in M'Nool for the pawns. The people here need very little coercion in order to do what he tells them. So his work is made easier by this. But he is hardly satisfied by the dull life here. With that dissatisfaction has come pain. Pain for others.

Tritusks

Tritusks is an ancient Loxodon. The last warrior of an ancient order. Possessing no Magical skill, it is said that he was able to ward of The Fog with physical violence. Wow.

Gloog

A mighty God once roamed Thuf. A nameless entity of incredible power. A protector. A mediator. Though it still maintains those titles, what is now called Gloog has been corrupted by The Fog. The madness that seeps from the pores of this once-God destroys and restores blindly. Gloog is one of the best reasons not to visit Thuf.

Volvine

Volvine Ivineret is not a native M'Noolian either. She is a Planeswalker in search of entertainment. She enjoys the lawless country that M'Nool has become, and recklessly grips it by the horns. Volvine spreads her disasters like butter. Her untamable nature is almost as legendary as her vast power. The two make a dreadful combination.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
White

Commons 11

Righteous Triller
Creature - Human Citizen (C)
: Righteous Triller gains First Strike until end of turn.

"Anger and rage. Fleeting as a pheasant. And nearly as unpleasant."
- Slimbeau, Rhymomancer

1/1

Veteran of Yore
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
If you had 40 life, Veteran of Yore has +3/+3 and Vigilance.

"Fight to return. Return to better days. Better days that once were."

1/1

Holy Mantra
Enchantment
When Holy enters the battlefield, choose a word. Whenever a spell with the chosen word in its name it is cast, you gain 1 life.

Freshly-Hatched Glutsnake
Creature - Wurm (C)

"Animals are often adorable when they're newborn. . . Not this one."

1/2

Endless Odyssey
Instant (C)
Exile target creature. That creature's controller searches his or her library for a card, and puts it into his or her hand. Then shuffles his or her library.

"Your eyes are very sharp, yes. But can you find yourself?"

Chickenheart
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, then it has "exile this creature at the beginning of your upkeep" instead.

Return of the Flock
Sorcery (C)
Ripple 7
Put two 1/1 Goat tokens onto the battlefield.

"And in the morning, the verdant valleys of Ilcus were barren once more."

Gigas
Creature - Giant Soldier (C)

"I do remember one thing: I was told to stand here - so that's what I do. Everyone needs something."

2/9

Sudden Recollection
Sorcery (C)
Target player gains 10 life.

"With out a mind, one cannot lead one's life - but with my self restored, I feel as though I could lead ten Lives!" - Rublik, recently restored

Beheld Quadruped
Creature - Oxen
Whenever a player skips a turn, you gain 3 life.

"If time is stationary, then so is death."

Still-Stander
Creature - Giant (C)
Vigilance

"Some recall one or two things from before the fog - for instance, this specimen vividly remembers being told to guard this pass. From whom? He does not know. But he clings to this one tiny vestige with all of his heart's might."

4/5

Uncommons 8

Waterwheat
Enchantment - Theory (U)
Each Swamp was once a Plain.

"Under the branches and brambles and mud and murk, every now and then one can find a little remnant of grain."

Wandering Mortal
Creature - Human Citizen (U)

"What is my name? May it be Peace?"

1/1

Mañaknight
Creature - Elemental Knight
If a living creature once had vigilance, then Mañaknight has vigilance. The same is true for flying, fear, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, landwalk, lifelink, protection, reach, trample, and shroud.

Kly's Proclamation
Sorcery
Name every card in your hand.
Draw a card.

"Let them know our names. Their fear will only make us stronger."
- Kly, King of the Quartz

Surprise Twins
Instant
Copy target token creation spell. (A token creation spell is a spell that creates tokens)

"Surprise - Twins!"

Monumental Momentum
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has -4/+4 and protection from its owner.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, then it has -0/+8 instead.

Oblivard
Creature - Mutant Beast (U)
If Oblivard has been named this turn, it has protection from creatures.

4/5

Pohestre's Enforcers
Instant
Create 5 1/1 White Legendary Soldier Tokens. Assign each a name.

"I will mold you. I will break you. I will love you. I will sacrifice you. But, above all, remember that I will never replace you. Never."
- Pohestre to Kittens

Rares 6

Revenge of the Godsoul
Sorcery
Target player skips their next X turns, where X is -20 plus the number of creature cards in all graveyards.

"Mother Earth may cry for her lost children, but do not think that Father Time sheds no tears as well."

Kly, King of Quartz
Legendary Artifact Creature - Gargoyle
Tap an untapped artifact you control: Name a card.
Cards named this turn cost less to cast.

". . . To summon up the Wandering Mortal,
In the Quartz of Kly the King. . ."

2/2

The Time of Equality is Upon Us
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent takes an extra turn, you do as well.

"Why should one man farm worse land than another? And why should one be subject to greater grief? Are we not created equal? And should time not be a commodity dished out in equal servings to each man, woman, and child?"
- Ygor, Villager

Childlish Division
Instant
Each opponent chooses a permanent. Then each player shuffles all other permanents into his or her library.

"Which of your offspring do you care for more?"

Holksto, the Charmer
Legendary Creature - Giant Wizard (R)
At the end of each endstep gain X life, where X is the number of auras attached to ~.
: Attach target aura to ~.

4/4

Essence of Appelation
Creature - Elemental Avatar (R)
Flying
Identity - If Essence of Appellation was named this turn, when you cast it each permanent on the battlefield becomes named Essence of Appelation. (This effect lasts indefinitely)

"I bring a new era. An era in which no being, object, or location goes without knowledge of its own self. Each shall have a moniker - and from this our land shall be cleansed."

4/4

Mythic 2

Remember Pohestre
Planeswalker - Pohestre (M)
Whenever you name a card, put a loyalty counter on Pohestre.
+1: Put an Icon counter on target creature you control. That creature is now Legendary.
-1: Return a Legendary creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
-8: Play with your library revealed. Pohestre is no longer a Planeswalker, but instead a Legendary creature with power and toughness equal to the number of Legendary Creatures in your Library and the number of Loyalty counters on her.

{4}

A Fleeting Memory
Instant
As long as A Fleeting Memory is in your graveyard, you may cast enchantment spells from your graveyard.

"Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory it too good."
- Nietzche

[sblock=Blue]
Commons 11

Renamian
Instant (C)
Change the name of target card in a library, until end of turn.

"Wait, but I thought you were a gigantic baloth beast?"
"Nope - just a wee fairy."
"Oh, well have you seen a gigantic baloth beast around here?"
"Sorry, comrade. No such luck."

Secondary Swat
Instant
Ripple 2
Counter target spell and skip your next turn.

"Time is on my side."
- Zhaerohc, Lord of All Chronohomunculi

Ponderer of Titles
Creature - Satyr (C)
: Name a card.

"And what shall I call thee?"

1/1

Shadowsight
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is unblockable.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, then each other creature you control is unblockable instead.

Fatigue

Fiscian
Creature - Fish (C)

"The Fiscian creatures remain unaffected by the Fog, after all, they never really had memories to begin with."

1/3

Mystery Testudine
Creature - Turtle Wizard (C)
Cortex - If was spent to cast Mystery Testudine, it enters the battlfield as a Green Turtle Shaman with a power of 4 and a toughness of 1 instead.

"Civilized or Animal. What is my true nature?"

1/4

Intelligence Analysis
Instant (C)
Counter target spell unless its controller can name a card in your hand.

"Yours or mine?"

[C]Deja Vu[/c]

Meditations of the Mind
Sorcery
Draw two cards.
Meditations of the Mind costs less to cast if you skipped your last turn.

"Why think when you can know?"

Informaconversion
Sorcery (C)
Ripple 6
Name a card and search target opponent's library for a card that shares a name with the named card. Exile that card and put a token into play that is a copy of that creature. That opponent shuffles his or her library.

Uncommons 8

Wandering Mortal

"What is my name? May it be Knowledge?"

1/1

Blind Sight
Enchantment
Sacrifice Blind Sight:Reorder the top ten cards of your library.

"The eyes are not always meant to see."
- Pio-Shek, Sleeptalker

Ivivat of Temnoth
Creature - Cephalid Wizard
: Target opponent chooses a player. That player skips his or her next turn.
Whenever you skip a turn, at the beginning of your next upkeep draw 2 cards.

Contrav
Instant (U)
Ripple 5 (When you cast this spell, you may reveal the top five cards of your library. You may cast any revealed cards with the same name as this spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
Exile target spell.

Favorite Resurrection
Sorcery
Target opponent chooses a card in your graveyard. Put that card in your hand. Then shuffle your graveyard into your library.

Pio- Shek's Drifting Mind

Sorcery
Each enchanted creature gains all other activated ablilities of each other enchanted creature until end of turn.

"They say that Pio-Shek only dreams of what we cannot remember. Perhaps this explains why he has been asleep for so long."
- Yuk'ai, Man in Monk's Robes

Grayflood Seahemoth
Creature - Kraken
If your hand size is 1, and if, at the beginning of your turn, it was 6, then you may cast Grayflood Seahemoth for .

"Certain memories would rather not be forgotten."

1/6

Bitonal Stutter
Enchantment
Whenever a player would name a card, that player may name two cards instead.

"Chimney Crow. I mean Storm Imp. I mean Chtormney Crimp!"

Rares 6

Onymancer
Creature - Elemental (R)
Whenever you name a card, draw a card

1/1

Whimsy of the Gods
Enchantment
You may counter your own spells, if you'd like. (You don't have to.)

"My plans are nobody's business but my own."
- Rhuky Helloin

Versal Error
Enchantment
Versal Error enters the battlefield with X loyalty counters on it, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield. Each creature and Versal Error is a Planeswalker with loyalty equal to the number of counters on Versal Error.

"Living in a powder keg and giving off sparks."
- Bonnie Tyler, Total Eclipse of the Heart

The Gifts of the Grasp
Enchantment
Whenever a player untaps a tapped permanent that he or she does not control, he or she gains control of it.

"It is curious - what some will break allegiance for. . ."
- Iggimöl

Chronoxperiment
Creature - Mutant Serpent (R)
If you are looking at this card while it is not being shuffled, in your hand, in exile, in play, or in your graveyard, then you may cast it.

5/5

Revelatory Revenge
Instant
Revelatory Revenge costs less for each spell cast this turn.
Cast any number of spells from any number of graveyards without paying their mana costs, provided they were cast this turn.

Mythic 2

Static Century
Sorcery
Each player skips his or her next one hundred turns.

"The longest battles are fought on wrinkled fields by decrepit minds."

Pio-Shek, Dream of Sea
Legendary Creature - Fish
At the end of each turn, all tapped permanents become Islands.
Sacrifice Pio-Shek: Return each Island to its owner's hand.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."
- Patricia (Meg Ryan), Joe Versus the Volcano

1/1

[/sblock]

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Black

Commons 11

Romantic Reward
Instant (C)
Until end of turn, target creature gets -X/-X where X is the number of abilities it has.

"Impressive résumés sometimes impress the wrong people."

Scented Python
Creature - Snake (C)
As an additional cost to casting ~, have target opponent draw a card.

2/2

Guilty Pleasure
Instant
Destroy target creature and skip your next turn.

"A moment of silence for a lost life. Perhaps several."

Bandit of the Hollows
Creature - Badger (C)
First Strike

"The Adder's bite is lethal. The Badger's bite is worse."
- M'Noolian Wives' Tale

2/2

Ritual Killer
Creature - Ogre Minion (C)
Identity - If ~ was named this turn, exile it as it enters the battlefield, then return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.

2/2

Zombie Elephant
Creature - Zombie Elephant (C)
Deathtouch

"In life, the pachyderm exhibits strength and vigor. Strength and vigor have been known to remain with such creatures, even after death."

3/3

Hideous Kyphosic
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
Deathtouch
Cortex - If was spent to cast Hideous Kyphosic, it enters the battlefield as a White Human Druid with Lifelink instead.

"Beneath the grotesque skin and sinnews and scabs, lurks a heart pure and innocent."

2/2

Oracle's Search
Sorcery (C)
Name a card. Search your library for a card that shares a name with the named card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Ogur
Creature - Ogre Barbarian (C)

"But, why do you only smash?"
"When your head is completely empty, what else would you do?"

4/3

Mausolephant
Creature - Zomibe Elephant
Whenever a player skips his or her turn, return ~ from the graveyard to the battlefield.

"Is the will to remember stronger than the temptation to forget?"
- Sorin to Tshaborex

3/3

Ego Reduction
Enchantment (C)
Legendary creatures you control are not Legendary.

"What man knows his self?"

Uncommons 8

Wandering Mortal

"What is my name? May it be Power?"

1/1

Usurp
Instant
Destroy target creature if it was once something else. Then another target creature gains that creature's past.

"Who was once your King? And who will be your King again?"
- Hlemnole, Ragged God

Public Opinion
Instant
Target player reveals his or her hand. You may exile any cards in that hand that have been named. You may cast cards exiled this way.

"Revealing your anything about your true nature is a recipe for disaster."
- Julog, Catastrophe Chef

Ziggurat unto the Gods
Instant
Search your library for X Legendary Creatures and put them into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.

"Pushed or Fallen?"

Self-Inflicted Wounds
Sorcery
Draw X cards where X is the amount of life you've lost this turn.

"Without pain, one cannot gain."

Psychesplash
Sorcery
The next spell you cast has ripple X where X is the number of cards in your library.

"When brain is blood, and mind is muck, thoughts arise, but will is luck.
And when your dreams can't come unstuck, know that mine will run amok."
- Iggimöl

Spectre's Text
Enchantment
Whenever a player draws a card, the player to that player's right may name a card. The drawing player then reveals the card and, if it is the named card, that player puts it into his graveyard.

Labyrinthine Groundlength
Creature - Wurm Wizard (U)
Identity - If ~ was named this turn, you may return it from the graveyard to the battlefield, tapped.

9/9

Rares 6

Yesterday's Resentment
Enchantment - Theory (R)
You had 40 life.

"And you will again, if you are willing to consume those beneath you. . ."

Iggimöl
Legendary Creature - Zombie Frog Wizard (R)
Whenever a player draws a card, he or she reveals it, and then loses life equal to its converted mana cost.

"If ignorance is bliss, then is knowledge is pain?"

1/1

Romanticized Notions
Enchantment
When Romanticized Notions leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices five permanents.

"Womenfolk endorse a gentleman with plenty of permanents rends to his skin and flesh."
- Brvo, Veteran

Thuf Blood Injection
Instant
Target creature has +6/-6 until end of turn.

Underearthly Veintracer
Creature - Worm Demon
Deathtouch, Lifelink
At the beginning of your upkeep sacrifice a land.
Each land you control has all the activated abilities of each land in your graveyard.

5/5

Tshaborex's Sickness
Sorcery
Target player creates three 1/1 Black Germ creatures with "at the beginning of your upkeep you lose 1 life."

"Poison fears me."

Mythic 2

Tshaborex, the Grown
Legendary Creature - Theory Demon (M)
Tshaborex was once a 0/0 Colourless Homunculus Creature.

"There once was demon from Urborg. . ."

7/7

Rhuky, Emblazoner
Planeswalker - Rhuky
Whenever an opponent casts a spell you may remove a loyalty counter from Rhuky. If you do you gain an emblem with "You have protection from X" where X is the name of the cast spell.
+1: Sacrifice an Emblem.

[4]

Red

Commons 11

Rapid Fire
Instant (C)
Ripple 5
Rapid Fire deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Slow Burn
Instant
Slow Burn deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you skip your next turn.

"Where were you last night?"
- Tritusks to Garruk

Thought Occupier
Creature - Devil (C)
Whenever a player would name a card, they must name Thought Occupier.

"It's like having a song stuck in your head, if the song had sharp little claws."

1/1

Swollen Glands
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has haste.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, then it gets +1/+0 for each point of damage dealt to any opponent until the end of that turn.

Hill Hound
Creature - Hound (C)
Spend only mana produced by Mountains to cast Hill Hound.

"After the Fog, all of the domestic house creatures ran off. After all, their masters couldn't call them."

2/1

Heat Rash
Sorcery (C)
Heat Rash deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If a creature was dealt damage this way, it cannot block this turn.

"Who brings lotion to a battle?"
- Hajir, Minotaur Aesthetician

Zeitgeistian Embers
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has Haste and attacks each turn if able.
Whenever a Legendary Creature enters the battlefield you may attach Zeitgeistian Embers to it.

"Hot Trends"

Dominated Power
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has +2/+2 and "this creature attacks each turn if able."
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, then it gets +2/+2 instead.

Stone Sower
Creature - Homuculus Shaman
: Stone Sower deals 1 damage to target creature and player.
Whenever a spell or effect causes you to skip your next turn, untap Stone Sower.

Hestling
Creature - Dragon (C)
Flying
When Hestling dies you may name a card in your hand and reveal it, if the named card was Hestling, you may cast it.

2/2

Perjos
Creature - Elemental (C)

"My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light."
   - Edna St. Vincent Millay, A Few Figs from Thistles

7/1

Uncommons 8

Fire Inside
Enchantment - Aura Theory (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature was once a Legendary 5/5 Dragon with Flying, Trample, and Doublestrike.

Wandering Mortal

"What is my name? May it be Passion?"

1/1

Aspiring Globlet
Creature - Goblin Rogue
: Aspiring Globlet becomes Legendary. Any player may activate this ability.

"Some wishes do fall through."

3/1

(Flavour text funnier with art.)

Gambler's Hand
Enchantment
Whenever you would reveal any cards from the top of your library, reveal 7.

"I'll show you mind, if you show me wars."

Minions' Master
Instant (U)
Choose one: ~ deals 1 damage to each creature with toughness one or less; or ~ deals 4 damage to target player.

Loxodonicus
Creature - Elephant Rebel (C)
, Sacrifice Loxodonicus: Pick an adjective or noun, then search for your library for any number of Legendary Creatures with that word in each of their names, reveal them and shuffle your library, put 1 into your hand, and the rest onto the bottom of your library.

3/3

Descendant of the Nekoru
Sorcery
Create a 6/6 Red Cat Dragon token with Flying and Haste onto the battlefield. Then draw X cards where X is the number of Cat Dragons you control.

"How she found her way too this Plane, we may never know. The only important question is how will we be able to help her find her way out."
- Buhg, Librarian of Sorts

Magical Dragon
Creature - Dragon Wizard
Flying
Magical Dragon's power is equal to the number of spells cast this turn.

X/7

Rares 6

From Skin to Scale
Enchantment - Theory (R)
Each non-Human Dragon was once a Human.

"You can see it reflected in his scales. In the sadness of his eyes. In the heat of his fire - he attempts to reforge the past."

Lobotomic Bomb
Sorcery
Remove the top 90 cards of your library from the game, then draw 3 cards.

"It has been said that man only uses ten percent of his mind. You may wonder what that means. Let me show you. . ."

Sacred Sacrifice
Instant
Add to your mana pool for each permanent sacrificed this turn.

"Man's blood burns brighter than oil."
- Tshaborex

Minos Multiplier
Creature - Mutant Minotaur Wizard (R)
Ripple 5 (When you cast this spell, you may reveal the top five cards of your library. You may cast any revealed cards with the same name as this spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
: Target permanent spell in your hand becomes a copy of this card. Cast that spell. If you don't exile that card.

3/2

Martyr of M'Nool
Creature - Elemental Spirit (R)
Haste
At the beginning of the endstep, return Martyr of M'Nool to its owner's hand.
Identity - If Martyr of M'Nool was named this turn, it gains ", Exile this card from your hand: Add to your mana pool."

4/2

Malicoal
Creature - Dragon Beast (R)
Flying
At the beginning of your combat phase, name a card. Malicoal deals 5 damage to all creatures with that name.

5/5

Mythic 2

Rash Action
Sorcery
Search any library for any number of creatures. Put them onto the battlefield under target opponent's control. They gain haste. At the end of that opponent's next endstep shuffle them back from whence they came.

Athazagoraphobia
Creature - Incarnation
The Legend Rule is reversed. (It now reads: If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are in any graveyard, all are put onto the battlefield. This is called the “legend rule.” If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn’t apply.)

6/6

139359831 wrote:
Green

Commons 11

Revolve
Instant (C)
Target creature gains all the abilities it has ever had, until end of turn.

"And it all came back to her. Everything she had ever learned. Everything she had ever known."

Leafhat
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Spells that target enchanted creature cost more to cast.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, those spells cost more to cast instead.

"Stylish and comfortable."

Cluster Moirb
Creature - Insect (C)
Ripple 6 (When you cast this spell, you may reveal the top six cards of your library. You may cast any revealed cards with the same name as this spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.)

"The more the scarier."

1/1

Tusk-skin
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has +0/+6.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary, it gets +0/+9 instead.

Hide of Yesterday
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant permanent
Enchanted permanent is Indestructible.
Icon - If enchanted permanent is Legendary, each other aura gains Hide of Yesterday's abilities.

Honey Hunter
Creature - Bear (C)
Whenever you play a forest, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it is another forest, you may put it into your hand. If not, put it on the bottom of your library.

2/2

Meta-Physical Prowess
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchanted creature is Legendary and Indestructible.

"He was known not for his deeds,
nor for his conquests,
and not for his words,
or even his relations. . .
But instead, he was known for being known."

Myosotis Wreath
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +6/+6.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary then spells and effects that cause you to skip a turn, cause you to put a 3/3 Elephant token into play instead.

Untrained Beast
Creature - Beast (C)
Identity - If ~ was named this turn, it enters the battlefield as a 3/4 white Beast instead.

"The crack of the whip is a difficult thing to forget."

4/3

Ariolimax
Creature - Slug (C)
You may have ~ assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.

"The slug approaches battle with no sense of fear. Fear itself, dares not to approach the slug."

5/7

Ghwerther
Creature - Oxen Beast (C)

"To tame a wild beast - you must work with it for many days. Untaming a beast is much simpler."

6/7

Uncommons 8

Wandering Mortal

"What is my name? May it be Providence?"

1/1

The Ripest of Fruits
Instant
Copy target mana ability.

"One must only be careful that it isn't rotten."
- Tshaborex

Syntactical Brawn
Instant (U)
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Identity - If ~ was named this turn, that creature gets +6/+0 until end of turn instead.

"Memories make some happy, others sad. For me, all I feel is anger. . ."

Bridge Flautist
Creature - Troll (U)
Whenever you name a card, search your library for a creature card and put it 3 cards from the top of your library.

"The melody will let you know where to go."

1/1

Legendary Status
Sorcery
Each creature you control gets +X+X where X is the total combined power of each Legendary Creature on the battlefield until end of turn.

"I can feel myself inside you."
- Tritusks

The Orphan's Godgift
Enchantment
Sacrifice The Orphan's Godgift: Any number of target creatures become Legendary until end of turn.

"Every man deserves his fifteen minutes. And if he only has fifteen minutes left. . . Well, better late than never."
- Nov, Shaman of the Square

Balanced Act
Instant
Create an X/Y Elephant token and a Y/X Elephant token, where X is the number of cards in your hand, and Y is the number of cards in target opponent's hand.

(Really more a Euclidean Plane Card.)

Territorial Dispute
Sorcery
As an additional cost to casting Territorial Dispute, sacrifice X lands. Search your library for X creatures and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Rares 6

Malachite Sky of Yesterdawn
Enchantment - Theory (R)
All Green creatures once had flying.

"Slinking upon the ground, the snakes and bears and elephants dream of the day that they shall retake the clouds."

Chloroplastic Domination
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has +1/+1 and Trample.
Icon - If enchanted creature is Legendary it gets +3/+3, Trample, and "Each forest you control is a 3/3 green Treefolk creature in addition to its other types."

Coniferous Migration
Sorcery
Cast Coniferous Migration only if you control no forests.
Search your library for three forests and put them onto the battlefield tapped.

"Where once there was no life, now there shall be beasts. Where once there was no howl, no there shall be roar. Where once there was no branch, now there shall be roots."
- Thuf Temple Engraving

Center of Gravity
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Land
Enchanted Land has "If this land is untapped each creature you control has +2/+0. If this land is tapped each creature you control has +0/+2."

Tritusks, the Rememberer
Legendary Creature - Elephant Warrior (R)
If damage dealt by ~ would be prevented, double it instead.

"Just try and stop him."
- Yilis, Loxodon Diplomat

5/5

Thuffian Blarney
Creature - Giant Mutant Crocodile
Whenever a player casts a spell, Thuffian Blarney gains your choice of Indestructible, Unblockable, Haste, Trample, First Strike, Lifelink, or Deathtouch, and loses all previously held abilities.

7/7

Mythic 2

Heed the Call
Instant
Put a creature card that has been named this turn from your hand onto the battlefield.

"When one hears the horn, when the echoes ring from cliff to coast, when the prayers reach one in one's dreams, would one deny these callings?"
- Glooog

Gloog
Legendary Creature - Fungus Elemental Rebel
Trample
Whenever Gloog enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield create a token for each creature in each graveyard.

9/11

Multi-Colour

Rares 2

Cogniloch
Sorcery (R)
Until end of turn each creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Boiling Recollection
Sorcery (R)
Name a card. Search your library for as many as four copies of that card. Reveal them and put one in your hand. Put the rest on top of your library in any order.

Mythic 2

Magus of Submission
Creature - Devil Wizard
Whenever you take an extra turn, target opponent controls you during that turn.
: Take an extra turn after this one. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

"Desperate times call for desperate pleasures."

(Fenix. Reference)

Volvine, Unstable ()()
Planeswalker - Volvine
Each player plays with the top card of his or her library revealed. As long as that card is a sorcery, Volvine has a +3 ability with the text of that card as its rules text.
[3]

Colorless

Commons 8

Shifter's Valley
Land (C)
At the beginning of your upkeep choose a basic land subtype at random. Shifter's Valley loses all subtypes and gains the chosen subtype. (Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest)

"The only place I fear to tread."
- Tritusks, Hero of the Minded

Glimmer
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
When you cast Glimmer, draw a card.

Man of Many Pasts
Creature - Human
Man of Many Pasts is coloured.

"Where does he hail from?
Nobody knows.
But he must come from somewhere,
and somewhere he goes."

1/1

Kelp Drifter
Creature - Humunculus Merfolk (C)
Cortex - If was spent to cast Kelp Drifter, you may return an Island you control to your hand when you cast Kelp Drifter.

"The sea is deep, and its pearls are valuable - but the thalamus may contain the most valuable pearls of all."

1/1

Helm of Remembrance
Artifact - Equipment (C)
Equipped creature has +0/+4.
Icon - If Equipped creature is Legendary, it has whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, instead.
Equip -

Prefognitive Strawman
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (C)
Identity - If ~ was named this turn, when you cast it, it gains haste.

"If I only had a name. . ."

2/2

Mindless M'Noolian

Creature - Human Citizen (C)
When ~ dies, each player may draw a card.

"M'Nool is a land filled with secrets. Some keep them without even knowing."

1/1

Giant Empty Husk
Creature - Homunculus (C)

"Feelings without thoughts.
Existence without purpose."

7/7

Uncommons 6

Esoteric Library
Land (U)
Esoteric Library enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.
: Add or to your mana pool.

Igneous Zone
Land (U)
Igneous Zone enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Mist-Field Frost
Land (U)
Mist-Field Frost enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Unsung Ruins
Land (U)
Unsung Ruins enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Sweltering Fogwood
Land (U)
Sweltering Fogwood enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Kly's Sky Servant
Creature - Gargoyle Warrior
Flying , Vigilance

2/2

Rares 4

Momentalis
Legendary Land (R)
: Add to your mana pool.
Whenever a creature gains an ability, it doesn't lose it.

"You wish to never age? Then only must you sip of the silver stream. Drink and stay for a day or so. . ."

Utopian Charter
Artifact (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control five citizens, and each of them is a different colour, you win the game.

"All men deserve equality, whether or not they know their own names."
- Hulmak, Political Savant

Liar's Pendulum

Zhaerohc's Homoservant
Creature - Homunculus Lord
Homunculi are colourless and can only be targeted by colourless spells or effects.

"Has the whole world gone colourblind?"
- Zhaerohc

2/2

Mythic 1

The Only
Legendary Creature - Homunculus (M)
Whenever a spell targets the Only, you may cast the top card of your library for . (If you cannot see the top card, then you must pay its cost before looking at it. You may not cast lands.)

"What he doesn't know can hurt you."

1/1

139359831 wrote:
First up, I'll be adding some cards that you may have seen already. Posted from contests, or just as stand-alone designs. I'll also be adding a reprint.

Onymancer
Creature - Elemental (R)
Whenever you name a card, draw a card

1/1

Cartographic Quest
Sorcery (C)
Name a card. Search your library for a land card with the chosen name, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

"Certain places will not let you find them until you have discovered them."

Oracle's Search
Sorcery (C)
Name a card. Search your library for a card that shares a name with the named card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Forgotten Existence
Instant (C)
Destroy target unnamed creature.

"But, what should I put on the tombstone?"

Martyr of M'Nool
Haste
Identity - If Martyr of M'Nool has been named, it gains ", Exile this card from your hand: Add to your mana pool."

4/2

Malicoal
Creature - Dragon Beast (U)
Flying
At the beginning of your combat phase, name a card. Malicoal deals 5 damage to all creatures with that name.

5/5

Liar's Pendulum

Comments and criticism welcome.

139359831 wrote:
Martyr of M'Nool
Haste
Identity - If Martyr of M'Nool has been named, it gains ", Exile this card from your hand: Add to your mana pool."

4/2

I hereby name him... Larry!  *gets free mana* 
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
You already know I like this.
You already know I like this.

Yeah. Actually, I probably wouldn't even have made this thread if it weren't for what you said. I'm not a finisher of stu

139359831 wrote:
At least you only have one set. I think i should just make stories and mechanics and then have other people make cards. I just had an idea for a mexican/mayan themed plane with skeleton tribal and art like dia de los muertos, beasts, canibals, and lots of graveyard recursion.
Okay - on I go with the continued card production. I feel motivated now, but try coming back here in a month.

Ponderer of Titles
Creature - Satyr (C)
: Name a card.

"And what shall I call thee?"

1/1

Boskseeker
Creature - Elf Shaman (C)
Identity - If Boskseeker has been named, when it enters the battlefield name a land card.

"What about that place, with all the - what do we call those - trees, now?"

2/2

Essence of Appelation
Creature - Elemental Avatar (R)
Flying
Identity - If Essence of Appellation has been named, each card in each library shares a name with it.

"I bring a new era. An era in which no being, object, or location goes without knowledge of its own self. Each shall have a moniker - and from this our land shall be cleansed."

Now a Land Cycle:

Esoteric Library
Land (U)
Esoteric Library enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Igneous Zone
Land (U)
Igneous Zone enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Mist-Field Frost
Land (U)
Mist-Field Frost enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Unsung Ruins
Land (U)
Unsung Ruins enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Sweltering Fogwood
Land (U)
Sweltering Fogwood enters the battlefield tapped, unless it has been named.

Now, I just need to think up another theme or two, and some additional mechanics. Hmmm.

139359831 wrote:
Essence of Appelation+Cranial Extraction=auto-mill!  
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Forenote: This is awesome. Please finish this.

Oracle's Search
Sorcery (C)

This is not functionally different from Diabolic Tutor (even with an upside in this set) - your mana cost and rarity should reflect this.

Forgotten Existence
Instant (C)
Destroy target unnamed creature.

"But, what should I put on the tombstone?"

This is a great card. The memory issues just worry me slightly, but in an enviroment where everyone will probably be writing down all the cards named anyway, it's probably fine.
Essence of Appelation+Cranial Extraction=auto-mill!  

White Black needs more Combo. All the good ones are Red Blue. Well, most of them. Besides, it'll only be Modern Viable anyway.

139359831 wrote:

Oracle's Search
Sorcery (C)

This is not functionally different from Diabolic Tutor (even with an upside in this set) - your mana cost and rarity should reflect this.

Ah, but now they know what the card is. You reveal it. That is why it is cheaper. Plus I thought all the Tutor junkies hated Diabolic?

139359831 wrote:
Ah, but now they know what the card is. You reveal it. That is why it is cheaper. Plus I thought all the Tutor junkies hated Diabolic?

At least make it Uncommon, it's an uncommon ability.

At least make it Uncommon, it's an uncommon ability.

Okay, well, I hear you - and I certainly considered it when I designed the card. But, really, there are not very many cards that aren't in M'Nool that work well with the M'Noolian idea of naming. A lot of the naming things are bad. Like name a card, and then get rid of it forever. For naming to be a positive effect and not so parasitic, I want it to be easy to splash Identity cards in a deck that isn't focused upon them. I also want them to work in a limited environment. I'll continue to consider the Rarity of this card. It really depends on how many Identity cards end up in the set.

139359831 wrote:
An idea: cards that cannot be named / cards that get bonuses if they aren't named. Maybe just a couple of those, but it would be interesting to see them nonetheless.

I like this idea, but I do worry about the power issues that arise from common tutors. 
I like magic almost as much as i like basketball and surviving aids.
Time for some non-naming abilities? The other themes aren't established very well, so we'll see how these go.

I think most of you have seen the first one:

Cogniloch
Sorcery (R)
Until end of turn each creature's power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your hand.

Chronoxperiment
Creature - Mutant Serpent (R)
If you are looking at this card while it is not being shuffled, in your hand, in exile, in play, or in your graveyard, then you may cast it.

5/5

Hill Hound
Creature - Hound (C)
Spend only mana produced by Mountains to cast Hill Hound.

"After the Fog, all of the domestic house creatures ran off. After all, their masters couldn't call them."

2/1

Sudden Recollection
Sorcery (C)
Target player gains 10 life.

"With out a mind, one cannot lead one's life - but with my self restored, I feel as though I could lead ten Lives!" - Rublik, recently restored

Okay, so I just made up those last two, on the spot. I think they're okay. Tell me if you think otherwise.

139359831 wrote:
Your set needs rulings for naming things. When i name something through something like meddlig mage, then it dies, is it still named? And then something like a sorcery or I dunno.
An idea: cards that cannot be named / cards that get bonuses if they aren't named. Maybe just a couple of those, but it would be interesting to see them nonetheless.

Yeah, I made one or two of those. I would like to limit it, because the hosers of central themes usually don't do very well.

Let's see:

Erasure1
Enchantment (C)
When Erasure enters the battlefield, name a card in a graveyard. Cards that share a name with that card can't be cast.

Oblivard
Creature - Mutant Beast (U)
Protection from Named Creatures. 2

4/4

1Name pending
2I'm okay with memory issues.

139359831 wrote:
Your set needs rulings for naming things. When i name something through something like meddlig mage, then it dies, is it still named? And then something like a sorcery or I dunno.

Rule XXX.X: Once a card has been named it remains named until for the duration of the game, unless another spell or effect would specifically change this.

139359831 wrote:
This'll be textbook memory issue; the sort of thing that was dodged with Imprint. 

Using the nomenclature 'name a card' can be confusing too, though I know you want some backwards compatibility.

Here's an idea:

Ordain: Ordain is an action keyword that appears on certain cards. Whenever you would name a card, you may choose it to be the ordained card. You may have only one ordained card.

Erasure -
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, ordain a card. Exile all cards with the chosen name from graveyards.
Ordained cards cannot be cast. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)

Inescapable Doom -
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, ordain a card.
At the beginning of your upkeep, search your library for a card with the ordained name and reveal it. Put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)

The Notorious Dead -
Instant
Ordain a card, then destroy target creature if it is ordained. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)
"You brought hope to thousands. Now there's no hope for you." --Ijit, High Oceon

Everseed Shaman -
Creature - Human Shaman
~ has all names.
2/2 

Witch Hunt -
Instant
Ordain a card. ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player, then deals 2 damage to each ordained creature. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)

Antagonism -
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, ordain a card. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)
: Counter target spell with an ordained name. 
"You've chosen to be my enemy. It shall be the last choice I allow you." --Ijit, High Oceon 

Oblivian -
Creature - Elemental Frog
When ~ enters the battlefield, ordain a card. (To ordain, name a nonland card. You may only have one ordained name and may change it each time you ordain.)
~ has protection from ordained cards. 
4/4

Hope you like it.  
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Blue satyr? Wha?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This'll be textbook memory issue; the sort of thing that was dodged with Imprint. 

Using the nomenclature 'name a card' can be confusing too, though I know you want some backwards compatibility.

I don't think the memory issues will be as bad as all that. Ordain is cute. I was going to make something very similar to Everseed Shaman at some point. You see that I want other "name a card" cards to actually work with this a little? Now you can use Pithing Needle to get your Fancy lands into play untapped if you so choose.

139359831 wrote:

I don't think the memory issues will be as bad as all that. Ordain is cute. I was going to make something very similar to Everseed Shaman at some point. You see that I want other "name a card" cards to actually work with this a little? Now you can use Pithing Needle to get your Fancy lands into play untapped if you so choose.

I totally get that you want 'name a card' to work with this. I even wrote out ordain to try to match it, but couldn't make it work. Perhaps someone else can?

The idea being that there's only one named card at a time would avoid memory issues, because they are always worse to gameplay than designers think. Always. 
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Just...use a piece of paper. It's no more a memory issue than counters and tokens. I don't think "memory issue" should be an acceptable excuse any more. This isn't a game for babies. rant rant rant blah blah.
What about this:

Rule XXX.Y: Whenever a card is named, it remains named until the end of the current turn.

There's that rule that says that cards override rules, right? So things like Meddling Mage wouldn't have to be erratad.

If I go with that, I will have to edit a couple of cards, but I'd rather make this work now, than have to change it later.

139359831 wrote:
Just...use a piece of paper. It's no more a memory issue than counters and tokens. I don't think "memory issue" should be an acceptable excuse any more. This isn't a game for babies. rant rant rant blah blah.

Memory issues are bad for a whole slew of reasons, plus there's plenty of them in Magic gameplay to begin with. Actively creating one seems silly when one can instead NOT do it.

Consider it a challenge, to make this 'naming' mechanic work. I took a stab at it.

Anyway, hope the input is helpful in some way.
Just...use a piece of paper.

If I wanted to spend time documenting and keeping track of a bunch of abstract numbers and making sure another party who is also documenting and keeping track of those abstract numbers doesn't cheat with those numbers, I'd quit Magic and become a tax auditor.
Show
144902215 wrote:
I think I might go with an Odd number theme. What do you guys think? Maybe even go so far as a prime number theme? Sort of like, the mystery of the past - you can't see what once occured, because even the present is hazy. Thoughts?

Five vanilla commons:

Ogur
Creature - Ogre Barbarian (C)

"But, why do you only smash?"
"When your head is completely empty, what else would you do?"

4/3

Perjos
Creature - Elemental (C)

"My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light."
   - Edna St. Vincent Millay, A Few Figs from Thistles

7/1

Ghwerther
Creature - Oxen Beast (C)

"To tame a wild beast - you must work with it for many days. Untaming a beast is much simpler."

6/7

Gigas
Creature - Giant Soldier (C)

"I do remember one thing: I was told to stand here - so that's what I do. Everyone needs something."

2/9

Fiscian
Creature - Fish (C)

"The Fiscian creatures remain unaffected by the Fog, after all, they never really had memories to begin with."

1/3

P/T -"/" = primes. Lame? Choose one: Y or N.

139359831 wrote:
They're so... oblong!  Tongue Out
Show
144902215 wrote:
People I play with already use paper to mark down whenever cards are reveled by duress and crap like that, but then they're kinda spikey and play in pro tours and junk.

Laziness is no excuse though.
Love the concept.  I agree that memory issues are something wotc should worry about but that has very little place in fantasy card creation.  But whenever I read M'Nool, all I can hear is:

On the fifteenth of May
in the jungle of M'Nool
in the heat of the day
in the cool of the pool
He was splashing
enjoying the jungle's great joys.
And Horton, the elephant
heard a small noise.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
in the jungle of M'Nool

For real? Damn you Dr. Suess! Always stealing from my mind in the future. I don't even own that one.

Also, Dudibus, you have a remarkable knowledge of Suessian words. I'm both amazed and concerned.

139359831 wrote:
amazed and concerned.

Should be a split card.
P/T -"/" = primes.

i'm trying to work out a way to interpret this so that it makes sense but I'm not succeeding

also yeah it's lame  
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Ogur
As theScion pointed out, memory issues. I think all the name triggers should only go off if the card was named this turn.

Essence of Appellation is confusing. Does it totally replace the name of everything, or does everything somehow gain two names?
Erasure is white, and should be uncommon or higher.
Oracle's Search should be uncommon.
Forgotten Erasure is extremely ambiguous. As written, it sounds like it destroys only creatures with no name. Try "Destroy target creature that hasn't been named."
Malicoal should be rare or higher.

Last of all, I think forcing people to remember names is pretty annoying. I just read through the spoiler twice, and I can't remember the name of anything in your set. Imagine if I were a new player and I had to memorize literally every card in M'Nool at the prerelease. Yeah, not going to happen.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Okay, I am sighing.

Several designers that I respect and admire have voiced negative opinions about Identity and the whole Naming matters subject. So I have a few options:

A)Keep it as is. Probably won't pick this one.

B)Limit it to a subtheme. I will make 4/8/12 cards with Identity. 1/2/3 four card cycles - with Green excluded. All of the Identity cards will have important EtB effects/effects in your hand. That should make them easier to remember. Then 10 to 15 support cards for the set. Tutors and Sphinxes and stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary - stuff you'd find in any set. And then <10 cards that benefit from named cards - like Onymancer (the name a card, draw a card fellow).

C) Cut the keyword all together and make a couple of cards that say things like "Name a card. Search your library for a card that shares a name with that card. You may cast that card as though it had "flash"" or something.

D)Give up.

I'm leaning toward B, but C is a viable option too. And of course there is always D. I'm looking for opinions on this - so if you have one, would you mind sharing it?

139359831 wrote:
in the jungle of M'Nool isn't the actul word.  It's just Nool.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
1) Please don't give up.
2) Please keep Naming Matters, it's a great idea and I'm sure it can be done.
3) Please limit Identity to named this turn and put it on postive effects making you want to name stuff that turn to get the positive effect.
For example
Chosen Dominance

Instant

Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
Identity - If that creature has been named this turn, it gets +4/+4 until end of turn instead.
This limits the remembering to that turn, not difficult and doesn't change the pre-existing rules.
4) Don't try and do anything to crazy with names (like not changing names of lots of cards or having to remember all the named cards in a game). Keeping it simple will still get people interested in it.
5) This is just my opinion.

So in answer to your question; somewhere between A and B.