Mechanic - Revealed at all times

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm back after a couple of months, and I feel like posting an idea I had.

Larnalia Eidolon |
Creature — Spirit
Play with Larnalia Eidolon revealed at all times.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Larnalia Eidolon is on top of your library, you may pay . If you do, prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to creatures you control this turn.
2 / 2

Lightbrize Oracle |
Creature — Human Cleric
Play with Lightbrize Oracle revealed at all times.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Lightbrize Oracle is in your hand, you gain 1 life.
3 / 3

Ill Omen |
Instant
Play with Ill Omen revealed at all times.
Counter target spell.

For the record, the last one is ill omen, not 3 omen.

Anyway, let me know what you think and why is it such a bad idea.

Oh, and by revealed at all times I mean that you play with it face up in your library and revealed in your hand.
at all times means that even when it is in your library, not only on top.  So how does it get revealed then (and keep it revealed)?  Besides this, I like it, especially the counter spell.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Shuffling isn't random when you can see where your cards are...
at all times means that even when it is in your library, not only on top.  So how does it get revealed then (and keep it revealed)?  Besides this, I like it, especially the counter spell.

I was editing the OP explaining that.

You play with it face up in your library and revealed in your hand.

The problem I see with that is shuffling and cheating... Maybe it would only work online now that I think about it.

@Sleeping: Yeah. Well, it should be the same in theory, but my experience... meh, you don't even need experience to guess that. >.<
I like it as well.  It has a ton of design space.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
 How would they cheat?  By making sure the card they can see came up on top?  I think Wizards set a precedence with the Miracle mechanic expecting the players to govern themselves.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

I was editing the OP explaining that.

You play with it face up in your library and revealed in your hand.

The problem I see with that is shuffling and cheating... Maybe it would only work online now that I think about it.

@Sleeping: Yeah. Well, it should be the same in theory, but my experience... meh, you don't even need experience to guess that. >.<

Face up in your library isn't really revealed if your opponent is not aware there is such a card in there.  I guess you would have to warn your opponent about it before the game starts.
worship the horn
Face up in your library isn't really revealed if your opponent is not aware there is such a card in there.  I guess you would have to warn your opponent about it before the game starts.

Yeah, that too. But I think they would probably notice anyway.
The first card could simply be revealed + activated when you draw it one step later.. Why not simply reveal the cards when they enter your hand? Please show us a card where being revealed somewhere down in your library is relevant, because making such a card is pretty difficult..
Oooh - I know. You could remove it from your deck when you shuffle - then roll a 60 sided die, or if your deck is EDH 100 sided, or if you're running Battle of Wits, a 2X0 sided die. Or if your deck is some other number a die with that number of sides.

And every time you draw a card you adjust your die, down one. Then when the die is at 1, you put it on the top of your library, revealed of course. And whenever you shuffle, you just re-roll the die.

Sounds like a blast and a half. I'd run the shit outta this card.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Or you could shuffle with the card face down, then every time you shuffle the deck, have a third party arbitrator with no personal relationship to either party in the game search through the deck for the "revealed at all times" card and flip it face up.  You would obviously keep this arbitrator on duty in case future shuffle effects occur, of course!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Or you could shuffle with the card face down, then every time you shuffle the deck, have a third party arbitrator with no personal relationship to either party in the game search through the deck for the "revealed at all times" card and flip it face up.  You would obviously keep this arbitrator on duty in case future shuffle effects occur, of course!

I like this idea. Suddenly all my casual games would be swarming with strangers, searching my library and flipping my cards. There are these guys at the gas stations in my town who just wait around for some kinda work. They don't speak much English, but I've always wanted to hire them - and I think we're all aware that Magic isn't the cheapest hobby.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I really think it would save a lot of trouble to be just revealed as soon as your draw it and as long as it is in your hand
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck

I like this idea. Suddenly all my casual games would be swarming with strangers, searching my library and flipping my cards. There are these guys at the gas stations in my town who just wait around for some kinda work. They don't speak much English, but I've always wanted to hire them - and I think we're all aware that Magic isn't the cheapest hobby.

I'm gonna need proof of your arbitrator's legality to work in country.
O.o Can't provide proof?
Disqualified!!! 
Decks
Legacy
Coffee Girl/Super Zero
[deck] 4 Glimpse of Nature 4 Scapegoat 1 Brain Freeze 1 Grapeshot 1 Storm Entity 4 Land Grant 4 Lotus Petal 1 Mox Opal 4 Mox Diamond 4 Temple Garden 1 Breeding Pool 4 Memnite 4 Shield Sphere 4 Phyrexian Walker 4 Ornithopter 4 Crimson Kobolds 4 Kobolds of Kher Keep 4 Crookshank Kobolds 3 Phyrexian Marauder [/deck]
Zubera Chum
[deck] 4 Ember-Fist Zubera 4 Floating-Dream Zubera 4 Silent-Chant Zubera 4 Dripping-Tongue Zubera 4 Ashen-Skin Zubera 1 Honden of Infinite Rage 1 Honden of Cleansing Fire 1 Honden of Life's Web 1 Honden of Night's Reach 1 Honden of Seeing Winds 2 Soul Foundry 4 Pentad Prism 3 Devouring Greed 3 Spawning Pit 4 Mountain 4 Island 4 Plains 4 Swamp 4 Forest 3 Terramorphic Expanse [/deck]
Burn
[deck] 4 Burst Lightning 4 Lightning Bolt 4 Lava Spike 4 Chain Lightning 4 Rift Bolt 4 Incinerate 4 Chain of Plasma 4 Flame Rift 4 Thunderbolt 4 Fireblast 4 Barbarian Ring 16 Mountain [/deck]
Envy
[deck] 4 Shared Fate 4 Serum Powder 4 Manamorphose 4 Elvish Spirit Guide 4 Simian Spirit Guide 4 Rite of Flame 4 Desperate Ritual 4 Pyretic Ritual 4 Seething Song 4 Lotus Petal 4 City of Brass 4 Gemstone Mine 4 Tendo Ice Bridge 4 Shivan Reef 4 Steam Vents [/deck]
Arcane Bin
[deck] 4 Ire of Kaminari 3 Psychic Puppetry 4 Desperate Ritual 3 Dampen Thought 4 Peer Through Depths 4 Sift Through Sands 4 Reach Through Mists 4 Eerie Procession 4 Ideas Unbound 3 Glacial Ray 3 Sensei's Divining Top 4 Lotus Vale 10 Island 6 Mountain [/deck]
Multiplayer Syphon
[deck] 4 Barter in Blood 1 Infest 4 Hideous Laughter 4 Screams from Within 4 Syphon Soul 4 Blood Tithe 4 Syphon Mind 4 Hissing Miasma 4 Twisted Abomination 4 Consume Spirit 2 Exsanguinate 1 Panoptic Mirror 4 Cabal Coffers 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth 1 Dark Depths 16 Swamp [/deck]
Extended
Elfball
[deck] 4 Heritage Druid 4 Nettle Sentinel 4 Llanowar Elves 4 Elvish Visionary 4 Elvish Promenade 4 Gilt-Leaf Ambush 2 Imperious Perfect 3 Elvish Archdruid 4 Regal Force 2 Manamorphose 2 Roar of the Crowd 2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn 2 Naturalize 18 Forest 1 Mountain [/deck]
Standard
Liquimelter
[deck] 4 Liquimetal Coating 4 Manic Vandal 4 Oxidda Scrapmelter 4 Tuktuk Scrapper 3 Acidic Slime 3 Hoard-Smelter Dragon 3 Viridian Revel 3 Ancient Stirrings 4 Flame Slash 4 Lightning Bolt 10 Forest 14 Mountain [/deck]
Humans!
[deck] 4 Angel of Glory's Rise 4 Faithless Looting 4 Shattered Perception 4 Wild Guess 3 Mad Prophet 4 Unburial Rites 3 Goldnight Commander 2 Lightning Mauler 3 Fervent Cathar 3 Fiend Hunter 2 Kessig Malcontents 4 Zealous Conscripts 4 Clifftop Retreat 4 Dragonskull Summit 10 Mountain 2 Plains [/deck]
The first card could simply be revealed + activated when you draw it one step later.. Why not simply reveal the cards when they enter your hand? Please show us a card where being revealed somewhere down in your library is relevant, because making such a card is pretty difficult..

No flavor, but:

CARDNAME |
Creature — Ooze
Play with ~ revealed at all times.
As long as ~ is in your library, other permanent cards on top of it are copies of ~.
4 / 4

Clash for 6, Killer Instinct for non-creatures, Abundance then Demonic Consultation to reorder your library. :P

I don't know, if I can come up with good ideas I'll post them.
@magicpablo666, I think you'd just run the **** out of anything that caused you to pick up stupidly sided dice.

EDIT: Wait, it let you swear but censored me? 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!

No flavor, but:

CARDNAME |
Creature — Ooze
As long as ~ is in your library, other permanent cards on top of it are copies of ~.
4 / 4

Clash for 6, Killer Instinct for non-creatures, Abundance then Demonic Consultation to reorder your library. :P

I don't know, if I can come up with good ideas I'll post them.

Cranial Extraction.  BOOM!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Cranial Extraction.  BOOM!

It's a decoy! BOOOM!!
It doesn't matter.  The card is in the middle of your deck somewhere.  So half your deck still got turned into copies of that card, which is not a land and therefore can be named!  You're still going to generally end up with around half your library exiled.  Just pray it's not at the bottom of your deck! 
Show
144902215 wrote:
@magicpablo666, I think you'd just run the **** out of anything that caused you to pick up stupidly sided dice.

EDIT: Wait, it let you swear but censored me? 

Yes I would, and don't tell anyone about my crazy forum powers!

139359831 wrote:
It doesn't matter.  The card is in the middle of your deck somewhere.  So half your deck still got turned into copies of that card, which is not a land and therefore can be named!  You're still going to generally end up with around half your library exiled.  Just pray it's not at the bottom of your deck! 

Yeah, I know. I just had to say something.

But anyway, it was just an example of a card that would be relevant even if it isn't on top.
Maybe...

CARDNAME |
Creature — Human Knight
: Put a token that's a copy of ~ onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Activate this ability only if you control an attacking creature and ~ is among the top five cards of your library.
2 / 2

Meh, there are probably better options.
Been thinking about that counterspell.  It is too strong for today's standard.  Opponent's knowing you have a counterspell isn't the problem.  The problem is the only 2 mana to hard counter.  Dual would be much better but maybe still too strong (for today's standard again, personnally I have no issue with counterspell
worship the horn
Been thinking about that counterspell.  It is too strong for today's standard.  Opponent's knowing you have a counterspell isn't the problem.  The problem is the only 2 mana to hard counter.  Dual would be much better but maybe still too strong (for today's standard again, personnally I have no issue with counterspell

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing TBH. But I don't really care about the cards. I was more interested in knowing what people thought about the mechanic.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing TBH. But I don't really care about the cards. I was more interested in knowing what people thought about the mechanic.

Gotcha.  I sometimes do the same thing.
worship the horn