unsummon and gravecrawler

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
When would be the correct wording and best time to try to unsummon my opponents only zombie when he tries to play his gravecrawler from his graveyard
You can't stop him casting Gravecrawler from his graveyard by Unsummoning his only Zombie in response. You should Unsummon it before his main phase before he has a chance to cast it.
Rules Advisor
Once your opponent has cast Gravecrawler, removing all their Zombies will not stop Gravecrawler from resolving.

After Gravecrawler dies in combat, you can remove remove all their Zombies during the end of combat step. Your opponent will not be able to cast Gravecrawler, because they can cast it only during their main phase. During their main phase, they will not be able to cast Gravecrawler, because they will not have any Zombies.
If he were to try, he would succeed, so you have to do it before he even tries. Three possibilities:

• When your opponent is not able to cast creature spells, i.e. outside of his main phases or when the stack isn't empty.

• When you have priority, e.g. at the start of your main phase or in response to you casting another spell.

• When he does not have the necessary mana available.

Once your opponent has cast Gravecrawler, removing all their Zombies will not stop Gravecrawler from resolving.

After Gravecrawler dies in combat, you can remove remove all their Zombies during the end of combat step. Your opponent will not be able to cast Gravecrawler, because they can cast it only during their main phase. During their main phase, they will not be able to cast Gravecrawler, because they will not have any Zombies.

Note that while the above is true, if the zombie you unsummon is a non-token, and they are able to cast it again in their second main phase, nothing is then stopping them from retaining priority after it resolves and then casting Gravecrawler from their graveyard (assuming they also have enough mana for that too).

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Note that while the above is true, if the zombie you unsummon is a non-token, and they are able to cast it again in their second main phase, nothing is then stopping them from retaining priority after it resolves and then casting Gravecrawler from their graveyard (assuming they also have enough mana for that too).

~ Tim   

This, of course, assumes that no effects are triggered when the new zombie enters play.
Sign In to post comments