Does a Hexblade need to keep wielding their Implement?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The text in question:

"Your pact weapon persists until you no longer hold either it or the implement"

Every discussion I've been able to find has assumed that you need to be always holding your implement, but it doesn't say "until you no longer hold BOTH it AND the implement", it says that you have to be holding either with no mention of whether or not the other could leave your hand.

The implications (off the top of my head):
- You could use a heavy shield.
- You could most definitely use dual implement spellcaster.
- You could use a second weapon (specifically the ranger power throw and stab comes to mind, which includes a melee basic that you can make with your pact blade at-will)
- I suppose you could even group all of your (all hexblade) party's gold into buying a single very powerful implement and then pass it between everyone in the morning, each using it to summon their blade. I can imagine it would make for a pretty awesome adventure against a group of cultists who do that.

Thoughts?
Yes, they do need to hold the implement.  Parse it into two phrases.  It's 'until you no longer hold it, or until you no longer hold the implement'
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yes, they do need to hold the implement.  Parse it into two phrases.  It's 'until you no longer hold it, or until you no longer hold the implement'

Actually, "either" "or" clauses can be satisfied if *either* condition is true.  So, holding your Warlock implement?  False.  Holding your pact weapon?  True.  It persists since 'either' of the conditions is true.

This should be submitted for errata.  The wording in question should read "until you are no longer holding your implement."  With the added text of "the pact weapon also ceases to exist if you are no longer holding it."

That would satisfy the intent of "the hexblade has to keep the pact weapon and the implement."

Now, my question is: what if you have a way to use light or heavy blades as implements?  Once you've summoned the pact weapon (and if it's one of the light or heavy blade weapons) then it can satisfy both requirements at once and you can put your first implement up in order to wield a shield or something.  Yes?     
"Your pact weapon persists until you no longer hold either it or the implement"

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Actually, "either" "or" clauses can be satisfied if *either* condition is true.  So, holding your Warlock implement?  False.  Holding your pact weapon?  True.  It persists since 'either' of the conditions is true.

Actually no, if you "no longer" hold either or, then it ceases to persist.

it's a negative or.  The equivalent logical operator for "does it persist?" is the opposite, which is "and"

"persists while you hold either pact weapon or implement"
"persists until you no longer hold either pact weapon or implement"

The above two statements are not same.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I'm trying to figure this one out too. Almost every other character class has a way to gain a Quick Draw type effect. Is the Hexblade simply out of luck in this regard?