[Post Rotation] Borros Humans [Help]

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
UPDATED*

This is a semi-budget deck (I already have a few of the cards). No Bonfires, no caverns, just no $20-40 cards in general. It's not intended to be "tournament status" just a deck I'll be playing with at FNM. The main goal of this deck is get a silverblade paladin on the champion, and have Odric out on T4 and swing for unblockable damage. I have a fair bit of removal/exile for big and small to keep the board clear for my 2 drops if I can't get the right hand going. I'm up for splashing green possibly. But leave some suggestions, this is quite a bit different from my first list. I want card names, and if you give a card name I'd like to know what you think I should remove. Thanks!

1 Drops:
x4 Champion of the Parish
x2 Doomed Traveler
x4 Pillar of Flame
x2 Thunderous Wrath

2 Drops:
x4 Ash Zealot
x4 Lightning Mauler
x2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
x4 Rakdos Shread-Freak
x2 Mizzium Mortars

3 Drops:
x4 Silverblade Paladin
x2 Fiend Hunter

4 Drops:
x4 Odric, Master Tactician

Lands (22):
Dual Lands
Mountain
Plains

SB:
Rest in Peace (ruin all graveyard shenanigans)
Elite Inquisitor (replace with ash zealot)
Precinct Captain (replace with rakdos shread-freak)
Electrickery
Fencing Ace
Oblivion Ring
Anything?
22 lands, 38 other cards, and only 4 one drops. Good luck. You're honestly looking for the most lucky situations just to win.
It is going to be very counter-productive to have BOTH Elite Inquisitor and Ash Zealot. Both are certainly good, and deserve a spot, but one need to be in the SB and you swap them depending on certain matchups. The way I see it, your Ideal first 4 turns would look something like:

T1--Land, Champ.
T2--Land, Lightning Mauler. Swing 2 if open.
T3--Silverblade on Champ. Swing 3 DS.
T4--Odric with Mauler. Swing for 17 unblockable.

What I'm getting at is that you will more than likely not want to play Ash Zealot OR Elite Inquisitor if you can help it, solely because there are some better options out there that help you stay fast, which is what Boros wants to do. If Boros doesn't win fast, it is going to be next to impossible for you to win, because you only have 3 spells (I understand that it is because of Thalia), and later in the game, spells are huge. I also think Malcontents is a bit meh as a 3 drop. I would rather you run Doomed Traveler or Selfless Cathar
22 lands, 38 other cards, and only 4 one drops. Good luck. You're honestly looking for the most lucky situations just to win.

If you had read the top of the post, I said that was one of my concerns, and I was asking on input on what to remove for another 1 drop..
It is going to be very counter-productive to have BOTH Elite Inquisitor and Ash Zealot. Both are certainly good, and deserve a spot, but one need to be in the SB and you swap them depending on certain matchups. The way I see it, your Ideal first 4 turns would look something like:

T1--Land, Champ.
T2--Land, Lightning Mauler. Swing 2 if open.
T3--Silverblade on Champ. Swing 3 DS.
T4--Odric with Mauler. Swing for 17 unblockable.

What I'm getting at is that you will more than likely not want to play Ash Zealot OR Elite Inquisitor if you can help it, solely because there are some better options out there that help you stay fast, which is what Boros wants to do. If Boros doesn't win fast, it is going to be next to impossible for you to win, because you only have 3 spells (I understand that it is because of Thalia), and later in the game, spells are huge. I also think Malcontents is a bit meh as a 3 drop. I would rather you run Doomed Traveler or Selfless Cathar

Yeah that was one of my concerns, having 2 different cards that are RR/WW, I think I'd go with Ash zealot to start and if any of those cards that the inquisitor can protect from are being use i'd swap. Do you think I should switch x4 Elite inquisitor for x4 Doomed Traveler? And then switch the malconents for more removal? And to stay fast what were you thinking I replace Ash/Elite for? And those 4 turns are exactly my plan with this deck, I'm not feeling much flexibilty with it which I would like to change.. But since Hero of Bladehold is no more it kind of stinks. And I should add that I'm building on a budget, so I figured this would be one of my best decks to build on a budget. I really appreciate the feedback.

To cast a creature on turn two reliably, you need 15 producers. To cast a reliably on turn two, you need 15 producers. It's not happening for you. You have to have a pretty heavy concentration of mana for two drops with double color; you have to choose one and splash the other. You're going to need some dual-color mana producers to run two colors well with two drops with double color.
Your best bet for building Boros is to pick up the cards that are printed that you want to play, then wait a few months for Gatecrash so you can play Sacred Foundry. A lot of powerful boros cards will make the deck more viable, as well.

As for your list, drop Odric, drop the Malcontents, drop 1 Elite Inquisitor, add 3 of that "super exalted angel that gives all your guys exalted whose name I totally can't remember right now" angel, then you will want 24 lands.

(at)MrEnglish22

There are 2 viable replacement for hero of bladehold the first is hell rider and the second is sublime archangel also consider a nonhuman 1 drop this will give you alternative early game options so far the deck has been working great for me white splashing red for lightning mauler and hell rider im using clifftop retreats and cavern of souls for mana fixing 23 land 2 mountains 12 plains 4 cavern 4 clifftop and 1 stronghold. In my testing hell rider has pushed more late game damage but the efficiency of the arch angel is also viable vs other swarm decks

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

rwu
I don't see how Sublime Archangel is a viable replacement for Hero of Bladehold. Let's see here...

Odric Route
Turn 1: Champ.
Turn 2: Mauler, swing for 2.
Turn 3: Paladin, swing for 6-8.
Turn 4: Odric, bond with Mauler, swing for 17 unblockable.

Hellrider Route
Turn 4: Hellrider, swing for 15 and 4 burn.

Angel Route
Turn 4: Angel, swing for 8 flying? (Exalted only applies if you swing alone)

Sublime Archangel is the weakest of those three options, allowing the opponent to live past turn 4 to possibly find an answer. Hellrider is the strongest, but allows for chump-blocking. Odric will end the game unless they've stopped your previous attacks or have an answer to keep him from attacking.

If I were to pick a hands-down favorite to replace Hero of Bladehold, it'd be Odric. He's tougher than Hellrider, has first strike, and lets you dictate blocking when you crash in.. which often has lethal consequences for your opponent.
Sublime Archangel soul-bonded with Silverblade Paladin is just spectacular.  Some token bodies to up the Exalted count is always welcome.

That said, I love Odric, Master Tactician too. In addition to the Lightning Mauler, Slayers' Stronghold is a possible source of haste for the Big O. Fervor works too.

There are alternatives for stopping graveyard shenanigans; most of them should be side-board cards, I think. Here's a few ideas:
Rest in Peace
Dryad Militant
Grafdigger's Cage
Tormod's Crypt

Pillar of Flame is good enough to put an end to Gravecrawler.
I don't see how Sublime Archangel is a viable replacement for Hero of Bladehold. Let's see here...

Odric Route
Turn 4: Odric, bond with Mauler, swing for 17 unblockable.

Hellrider Route
Turn 4: Hellrider, swing for 15 and 4 burn.

Angel Route
Turn 4: Angel, swing for 8 flying? (Exalted only applies if you swing alone)

Sublime Archangel is the weakest of those three options, allowing the opponent to live past turn 4 to possibly find an answer. Hellrider is the strongest, but allows for chump-blocking. Odric will end the game unless they've stopped your previous attacks or have an answer to keep him from attacking.

If I were to pick a hands-down favorite to replace Hero of Bladehold, it'd be Odric. He's tougher than Hellrider, has first strike, and lets you dictate blocking when you crash in.. which often has lethal consequences for your opponent.

I completely agree with everything you've said. And the great thing about Odric currently, is it is out of the way of a lot of T4 removal. Ofc there are spells that can take it out, but it can avoid a decent bit of what's around. I've also been thinking about precinct captain..

The reason Sublime Archangel looks weak is that you're misplaying it. The scenario mentioned there should end with Silverblade attacking for 12, dealing 25 total in 4 turns.

Angel is also significantly better than Odric (who dies to Mizzium Mortars, and is thereby no better at dodging removal) and Hellrider because she's much better alone and is evasive.

Regardless, GW is much, much better than Boros. Boros has only one dual land, making the numerous double white costs hard to achieve along side burn spells, and the only good creatures it gets from red are Mauler and Zealous Conscripts.
The reason Sublime Archangel looks weak is that you're misplaying it. The scenario mentioned there should end with Silverblade attacking for 12, dealing 25 total in 4 turns. Angel is also significantly better than Odric (who dies to Mizzium Mortars, and is thereby no better at dodging removal) and Hellrider because she's much better alone and is evasive. Regardless, GW is much, much better than Boros. Boros has only one dual land, making the numerous double white costs hard to achieve along side burn spells, and the only good creatures it gets from red are Mauler and Zealous Conscripts.

I've been looking into a GW deck, but having trouble finding a good reliable combo, do you have a deck list to reccomend? And I'm on a budget. No $20-40 cards.. 
Bump.
Went 3 and 1 last night with boros, lost to r/ b control due to that curse that gives neg 1 to al my dudes ..... thragtustk was pretty popular last night ... i gave serra avenger a try last night and pulled off a supprise 10 damage with her paired with silverblade and the slayers stronghold to give her haste, shes no hero or sublime archangel but if your budget id say give her a shot im gonna keep her in my deck for a while thats for sure

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

rwu
UPDATED*

This is a semi-budget deck (I already have a few of the cards). No Bonfires, no caverns, just no $20-40 cards in general. It's not intended to be "tournament status" just a deck I'll be playing with at FNM. The main goal of this deck is get a silverblade paladin on the champion, and have Odric out on T4 and swing for unblockable damage. I have a fair bit of removal/exile for big and small to keep the board clear for my 2 drops if I can't get the right hand going. I'm up for splashing green possibly. But leave some suggestions, this is quite a bit different from my first list. I want card names, and if you give a card name I'd like to know what you think I should remove. Thanks!

1 Drops:
x4 Champion of the Parish
x2 Doomed Traveler
x4 Pillar of Flame
x2 Thunderous Wrath

2 Drops:
x4 Ash Zealot
x4 Lightning Mauler
x2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
x4 Rakdos Shread-Freak
x2 Mizzium Mortars

3 Drops:
x4 Silverblade Paladin
x2 Fiend Hunter

4 Drops:
x4 Odric, Master Tactician

Lands (22):
Dual Lands
Mountain
Plains

SB:
Rest in Peace (ruin all graveyard shenanigans)
Elite Inquisitor (replace with ash zealot)
Precinct Captain (replace with rakdos shread-freak)
Electrickery
Fencing Ace
Oblivion Ring

Thunderous Wrath is an interesting choice, definitely gives you pretty decent reach later in the game. How has Shred-Freak been for you? I would think that the RR cost for something not that great would be annoying. I feel like Precinct Captain is better overall than him, but thats just my opinion. Fencing Ace also isn't good unless you have a way to pump him out. He needs some kind of enchantment Spectral Flight or equipment Silver-Inlaid Dagger to make him good. Otherwise you are swinging with a 1/1 DS.