Dragon 415 - Channel Divinity: Zehir

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Insider ArticleDragon 415 
Channel Divinity: Zehir
By Tim Eagon

In public, it is easy to repudiate Zehir’s murderous creed. Alone in the shadows, however, normally goodhearted people sometimes whisper desperate prayers to the god of darkness. As the lord of assassins, Zehir showers his blessings on those who kill; he does not care about a murderer’s motives or dwell on whether a victim’s fate is deserved. Some murmur that killers do not have to beg Zehir for his aid if they want him to take notice, because he knows when thoughts of murder creep into a person’s mind.

Talk about this article here.

Article Header Image

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I hope everyone enjoys the article...it was fun writing for the dark side of D&D!
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
The three coils description was useful and interesting, the faith was still missing entirely a decent writing about the clergy.

The paragon path was a bit too generic and uninspiring: Shadow Serpent Form is a cool concept, but somehow easy to replicate at this point in the life of 4th edition and everything else about the PP is overall a bit boring and lacking.
The Level 16 feature especially is pretty much useless, since it come too late in the life of a poison-based character and also do not bypass poison immunity that is the true problem of any poison based PC (the fact that there are level 1 very common monsters immune to poison is what really break the poison keyword in 4th edition).

The level 16 feature is too weak and basically does nothing for most poison focused PCs, since those are usually assassins or mc assassin.

About 1 in 5 creatures is immune to poison according to a quick compendium search I just did and it doesn't help with that.  That is not Shroomy's fault, but the path doesn't address that big flaw with poison attacks.

There is a heoric feat assasin feat called venom hand master that lets you ignore poison immunity and resistance so any PC who wants to focus on poison needs to take that feat.  If the path let you ignore poison immunity at least it would let you retrain that feat.

If you have issues with the paragon path, I'd encourage you to express them in the errata forum.  

I hope you guys otherwise enjoyed the article; I loved writing about Zehir's cult.  Since there isn't a lot of pre-existing lore about him and his church, I had a lot of freedom and I'm glad that it made it into the final version.
I liked the story of the Coils and the  general background info on this dark deity! Also, the artowrk is really cool !

PS I posted for it to get an Rule Update to No More Souls for Zehir to ignore both poison resistance and immunity altogheter.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

i agree with the others. i like it, but the level 16 needs to be immunity and resistances
I liked the story of the Coils and the  general background info on this dark deity! Also, the artowrk is really cool !

PS I posted for it to get an Rule Update to No More Souls for Zehir to ignore both poison resistance and immunity altogheter.

When Chris Perkins commissioned me to write the article, he asked that I explore the worship of Zehir from three perspectives:  evil curious, evil, and really evil, which is how I came up with the idea of the Three Coils.  There wasn't much written about Zehir prior to my article (basically some brief mentions in the DMG, Dragon 379, the MotP, The Plane Above, Divine Power, and the Monster Vault), so I had a lot of freedom to come up with my own lore.  Given his association with serpents, a twisted version of snake handling made a lot of sense and I also found inspiration in the tales of real life murder cults, like the Thuggees.  The 2e FR books like Faiths & Pantheons also influenced the way I thought about fantasy religions for D&D.

Yeah, Beth Trott did a really great job on the artwork.  I've been more than pleased with all the artists who've worked on my articles, and I don't think they get enough credit.