industructable truely industructable?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
using say a searing spear to do 3 damage to a industructuble 0/1 stuffy doll wont kill it and makes it do 3 damage to me?
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
Please Autocard: [c]Stuffy Doll[/c] = Stuffy Doll
Searing Spear

Correct, lethal damage will not destroy an indestructable creature.  So the 3 damage will be dealt to the stuffy doll, which will trigger it's ability and deal that much damage to the choosen player.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

ok thanks new to the forums so i will remember the carding method
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
would a murder work?
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Most indestructible cards have the reminder text: ("Destroy" effects and lethal damage don't destroy it.)

No destroy effects work on indestructible permanents.
Rules Advisor
would a murder work?

No.  Indestructible means it cannot be destroyed.

alright thanks guys for the fast informative answers :D
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Cards like Oblivion Ring or Tragic Slip will remove the indestructible creature from the battlefield as neither of them destroy it.

Cheers
Forcing your opponent to sacrifice it will work aswell.

For what constitutes as Destroy/Destruction:
701.6b The only ways a permanent can be destroyed are as a result of an effect that uses the word “destroy” or as a result of the state-based actions that check for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g) or damage from a source with deathtouch (see rule 704.5h). If a permanent is put into its owner’s graveyard for any other reason, it hasn’t been “destroyed.”

Since it only has one toughness, giving it -1/-1 or a -1/-1 counter would be very effective. Stuffy, watch out for infect and wither!

Cards like Oblivion Ring or Tragic Slip will remove the indestructible creature from the battlefield as neither of them destroy it.

Cheers

i thought tragic slip effects were considered damage by counters being along the lines of damage. like when the monster destroyed by counters reaching 0 vitality it would be considered being destroyed. however i do see your oblivion ring and removals but would -1/-1 counters work?

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Cheers

i thought tragic slip effects were considered damage by counters being along the lines of damage. like when the monster destroyed by counters reaching 0 vitality it would be considered being destroyed. however i do see your oblivion ring and removals but would -1/-1 counters work?

yes, reducing its toughness to 0 or less, via -1/-1 counters or effects like tragic slip will cause it to die. that doesn't count as destruction via damage, it's a separate rule that things with 0 toughness die.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Cheers

yes, reducing its toughness to 0 or less, via -1/-1 counters or effects like tragic slip will cause it to die. that doesn't count as destruction via damage, it's a separate rule that things with 0 toughness die.

ah i see for some reason i had it in mind for example stuffy doll doing the 1 damage to itself when tapped was equilivant to trying to put a -1/-1 counter in that aspect. thanks for clearing that up.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Just incase there is a misunderstanding, doing damage to a creature does not reduce it's toughness, temporary
-1/-1 and -1/-1 counters do.

For example

Stuffy Doll block Warclamp Mastiff.  After combat damage has been assigned, Stuffy Doll becomes a 0/1 with 1 damage marked on it.  This would destroy a normal creature as lethal damage, however Stuffy Doll cannot be destroyed.

as opposed to

Stuffy Doll is targetted with a not morbid Tragic Slip.  After Tragic Slip has resolved, Stuffy Doll becomes a
-1/0.  Stuffy Doll is put into the graveyard due to having zero or less toughness.  This does not count as destruction, but does count as dying.

Finally,

Stuffy Doll is enchanted with Spectral Flight and blocks a Griffin ProtectorStuffy Doll is now a 2/3 with 2 damage marked on it.  A non morbid Tragic Slip would be no use now, because it would only cause Stuffy Dolly to be a 1/2 with 2 damage until the end of turn.  Stuffy Doll would have lethal damage marked, but is still indestructible so this would not destroy it.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Just incase there is a misunderstanding, doing damage to a creature does not reduce it's touch, temporary -1/-1 counters do.

Good explanation overall, but this need to be addressed:

Temporary p/t reduction and -1/-1 counters are different things. Counters aren't 'temporary', they stay until something specifically removes them or the object changes zone.

Tragic Slip doesn't give a -1/-1 counter. Scar does. Both are able to send Stuffy Doll to the graveyard.

[<o>]
Ah, didn't even realise I had typed that.  Editing the original now...

Thanks
ah i see for some reason i had it in mind for example stuffy doll doing the 1 damage to itself when tapped was equilivant to trying to put a -1/-1 counter in that aspect. thanks for clearing that up.

well it could be if Stuffy had infect or wither

can imagine the LOL as my opponent activates Stuffy's ability and I respond with Tainted Strike

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

It's making me laugh just thinking about it :D