Planning out a Vampire deck

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am in the process of building a Vampire deck, I just started sorting through my creature cards this afternoon. I will post my available cards once I have a moment and I am not at work but are there any suggestions as to the types of cards I should put in this deck such as instants and sorceries, should I make use of enchantments (creature, player, curse) and if so should I limit the enchantments to only so many in favor of faster cards such as instants?

The deck is going to be Red/Black and I only have cards currently from Innistrad block and Core 13 with a smattering of core 12 and whatever is available from the dual deck for RTR. Just so you guys know what I have to work with, I really don't want to buy singles but if I need a couple of cards to fill out the deck I will prolly get them as long as they aren't to expensive.

Aside from these things I really want this deck to play well and be able to win against a variety of different builds. I also want it to be fun to use and seeing as it will contain only Vampire creatures I want to try and keep the other spells inside that theme if possible.

Available Cards:

Creatures:

Red Spells Available:

Enchantments:

Sorceries:

Instants:

Black Spells Available

Enchantments:

Sorceries:

Instants:

So this is the list of spells and creatures that I have available to build with. Let the building begin! hehe
Once  I see what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help you. I'd suggest starting with any aggressive-looking vampires that you've got. My top picks for each color in those sets (not including rares) are:

Rakish Heir: This guy fuels your vampies desire to feast.
Vampire Nighthawk: It's almost a crime to not run the gem in a vampy deck.
Stromkirk Captain: It's a captain for your deck, and gives em all first strike. Not too shabby!

Also checking out the vampires from the Zendikar block can lead to a few exceptional choices for creatures and spells.

Speaking of spells, basically grab the best kill/burn spells you can from your collection, like
Doom Blade
Shock

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

Yea, I have plenty of the Rakish Heir and Vampire Nighthawk cards and was planning on using them @ 4x maybe 3x for the Heir though because I want to leave room for the other Vamps to use his ability. Unfortunately I have only one of the Stromkirk Captain I may have to pick a couple of them up. I will take a look at the Zendikar block and see if there is anything there I want to use, it is going to be a casual deck for the time being so I might as well utilize all resources.

As for spells I was going to use a couple doom blades and a couple murder so I don't get slammed by a black deck running a powerful creature.
Vampire Hexmage would be nice as maybe a 2-of in the deck. She kills planeswalkers and has first strike, though the double black mana might be a bit too heavy in a 2-colored deck. Also Feast of Blood would be better than murder for the deck. I have a mono-black vampire deck and I've dabbled a bit with making it black/red but I never got mine to work quite right. Probably because I loved too many heavy-black vamps haha.

oh, and Blade of the Bloodchief. That is all.

"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this."

Just a quick question about first strike and deathtouch. If a creature has deathtouch and gain firststrike will it kil a defended or defending creature regardless if it deal enough damage? if so then I think I may focus a little on those atributes if I can.
Yes it would. Deathtouch only needs to deal 1 point of damage for it to become lethal. That's one reason why Vampire Knighthawks are so deadly along side Stromkirk Captains.

Awesome, I may just put 4x of Vampire Nighthawk and Stromkirk Captain and take advantage of the first strike, deathtouch combo. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow morning to post a list of my cards so I can get the real discussion started here.
All available spells have been listed in the OP, hopefully with your help I will be able to get something decent and fun to play put together. As an after thought do you think that it would be viable to build a werewolf deck alongside this one somewhat like a dual deck format kinda thing? Would they be comparable in power or would one dominate over the other?
I would suggest pulling the following cards out of your collection:

stromkirk noble
rakish heir
falkenrath exterminator
stromkirk captain
driver of the dead
blood seeker
vampire nighthawk
bloodline keeper
vampire nocturnus

furvor
nightbird's clutches
pillar of flame
vampiric fury
brimstone volley
dark favor
hideous visage
disentomb
doom blade

Try building a decklist out of those cards and post it instead of the list of cards you have. When building the deck, try to put in more of the 1-3 cvc cards and less of the 4+ cvc cards. So have like x4 vampire nighthawk and x2 bloodline keeper. Also pay attention to the mana curve. You want more creatures and spells that cost 1-2 then you want that cost more. 3 cvc should be the midpoint of the curve, then it should slope down as things cost more. Then ppl can help you from there. For the most part on this forum you will get more help when you post a deck than without a deck to work off of. If you want a good example of a vampire deck, check the one I have posted on my blog. It's mono-black, but you can get an idea of what a decent vampy deck can do. Link to my blog is in my siggy btw.

Sign In to post comments