Utility Mill

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
They are pushing mill pretty hard these days, eh? How about they really give it a shove!? The issue for mill is to make a deck that can mill, you can't really handle the opponent too well if you can, good luck milling.  How about we make spells slightly more blue intensive, or expensive and make them mill? For my point, everything here will mill for 2, 3 or 4 (small numbers that aren't horribly effective in most cases) but add up pretty quick, for :Um: more... or converting to :Um:.

Loss of Memory :Um::Um:
Instant
Return target creature you don't control to its owner's hand.
Put the top three cards of that player's library into his or her graveyard.
"I'll remember this the next time I unsummon that... too bad you won't."

Loss of Nostalgia :Um::Um:
Instant
Return target noncreature permanent to its owner's hand.
Put the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"I was once Hoodwinked around here... but I don't remember where exactly..."

Loss of Certenty :Um::Um::Um:
Instant
Counter target spell.
Put the top two cards of the target spell's controller's library into his or her graveyard.
"Cancel that order."

Presence of Will :Um::Um::Um:
Sorcery
Draw four cards.
Target player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
"It's amazing what good Tidings, confidance can bring you."

Fleeting Will :Um: (doesn't fit my plan as well)
Instant
Target creature gets -1/-0 until the end of turn.
Put the top two cards of the creature's controller's library into his or her graveyard.
"Does anybody else miss those occasional fleeting distractions?"
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
If you're going to put them all in one set, might as well keyword it.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Love the flavor text on all of these.  And I agree they need cards that have an effect on the board with a mill aspact.
Do you think this would give mill the push that it really needs?
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)

Dedisco Modus Operandi Post Facto | | Instant | Uncommon
Target play puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Counter any spells with the same name as those cards.

Tornado Elemental
Creature - Elemental
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield target player puts the top four cards of their library into their graveyard.
4/4 
Memories, like air, can blow away before we even realize it

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Any competitive Mill deck is running Black as well.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Do you think this kind of effect would work on a creature as well?

Master Milliner

Creature - Human Soldier

Every time Master Milliner becomes
tapped, target player puts the top two
cards of his or her library into his
or her graveyard. 

: Target player puts the top two
cards of his or her library into his
or her graveyard.

1/1 
Any competitive Mill deck is running Black as well.

Agreed, why should blue get all the fun?

Traumatic Death
Sorcery

Destroy target creature. That creature's controller puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is that creature's power.
"The ties that bind can be used to strangle."
--Baron Sengir
Rules Advisor
Undercity Miasma

Sorcery

Target player puts X cards into his or
her graveyard from the bottom of their
library, where X is the number of cards
in their graveyard.

"Oh gods... the STENCH!"

Traumatize, Undercity Miasma, game!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Ishmael, the Wishmaster
Legendary Creature — Djinn
: Choose a card you own from outside the game, then put it on the top of your library unless any player rolls a twenty sided die, then puts that many cards from top of their library into their graveyard. If a player does, you may exile Ishmael and flip a coin. If you win the flip, that player puts twice that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard instead.
3/5

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Ishmael, the Wishmaster
Legendary Creature — Djinn
: Choose a card you own from outside the game, then put that card on the top of your library unless any player rolls a twenty sided die, then puts that many cards from top of their library into their graveyard. If a player does, you may exile ~. If you do, flip a coin. If you win the flip, that player puts twice that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard instead.
3/5

Kevin, listen man. I know you've been on the Magic team for a long long time, but Magic is very three-dimensional. It's all technicalities and abilities. The greater majority lies in flavor and realism. Focus less on abilities and more on focusing your ability to bring things to life through them.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
That's not utility mill. Utility means upside, a choice for you. That is a downside, a choice for your opponent. It's like calling Browbeat utility burn.
Browbeat

You have... no idea how long I was looking for the name of that card earlier today!  X(
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Yes, more milling. I always approve of more milling.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Undercity Miasma

Sorcery

in their graveyard.

"Oh gods... the STENCH!"

And?

Kevin, listen man. I know you've been on the Magic team for a long long time, but Magic is very three-dimensional. It's all technicalities and abilities. The greater majority lies in flavor and realism. Focus less on abilities and more on focusing your ability to bring things to life through them.

Djinn are evolutionary entities. They can grant lesser humans things beyond their reach. Traditionally, things are requested, these requests we call Wishes. People simply ask for something from a power beyond their control (just like witchcraft, which is based on the same principal). The witch asks some unknown, higher power beyond his/her control to do something for him/her, usually without offering anything of true significance in return (just look again at what you offer to cast a witchcraft spell, pretty much nothing). Which means that higher power can take anything from you later that it finds to be equal of the service it granted you. If the witch was wise, it would go beyond what the ritual requests and make sure to offer lots of things of value first. That way, you've at least given a significant measure to pay for the service you've requested.

But it's typical for all girls to be all like,
"I'm a witch and I can get anything I want for free."

Well, that's naive. And that's not how things work. You just pay the price later, unaware of it. No one ever stops to think that someone may have been out to get you. Dark magic is a type of magic too, and it involves giving you bad information that leads you to mess with dangerous forces, or leading you to preform rituals incorrectly so that you pay the price for it. Anything that results in harm.

Use your head for what's it's there for! Think about things for once! If you're going to ask a power beyond your control for something, you better ante up and offer something beyond its worth. You pay upkeep in retail don't you? It costs 5000 dollars to produce a car, but you pay 25 grand for it at the dealership. Well, don't expect a higher power to be any different, always cover your bases and offer MORE than the minimum.

Aaaaanyways,

Djinn will grant wishes but they are very strict about fairness. If another person offers a higher price to cancel the request, they will honor it. But it's always open to higher bids and special offers, therefore, if a cancel is issued, you can offer a pardon, and in-exchange, it will double the cost they pay to cancel your request, then be gone forever.

I'll keep that in mind next time I deal with a witch/djinn.

139359831 wrote:
Undercity Miasma

Sorcery

in their graveyard.

"Oh gods... the STENCH!"

And?

Well, if you're fine with producing two-card auto-win combos... then yeah, no problem, more power to ya!  Just sayin... one exists with your card.
Show
144902215 wrote:
I'll keep that in mind next time I deal with a witch/djinn.

That's so humble of you. By the way, there is so much more to the whole system of Magic. I wonder if I could even begin to summarize it. But if there is a single thing that would help you more than anything, it's always be a nice person to everyone. Be very forgiving. Try as hard as you can to be kind to as many people as you can.

Don't be sour
. Don't be evil. Don't be hateful. There are serious consequences to being evil. It's not like Star Wars, where you can do evil and gain favor with the force for it. First of all, that's a huge misunderstanding. Those evil people all gained favor from the force out of suffering. Darth Sidious suffers a terrible disfigurement. Vader suffered heartache beyond measure in additional to mutilation. This was the true source of their favor with the force. The force gave them sympathy for their suffering. This immense measure of favor allowed them to request evil things, and the force would honor it. But in every evil request they make, they'd lose favor with the force. In the end, it was he who suffered most who was able to last the longest, because he had the most favor to waste away.

Well, in reality, it's a lot different. Evil doesn't serve a master. It only serves itself.  It's only in entertainment that evil forces admire other evil forces, they find them entertaining (or impressive). Yet they can't be trusted because they're evil, back-stabbers. And by nature, no one likes an evil, hateful person. Just think off all those girls who hate other girls because they're all mean to each other.

Exactly.

In reality, everyone loves a nice person. A kind person is a pleasure to be around. A charming person is popular. There are higher powers, this much is absolute. To gain favor with the only ones you can (the neutral, the beneficent) you've got to be an honorable person. Do good things. Be pure hearted.

Undercity Miasma

Sorcery

in their graveyard.

"Oh gods... the STENCH!"

And?

Well, if you're fine with producing two-card auto-win combos... then yeah, no problem, more power to ya!  Just sayin... one exists with your card.

Traumatize + Haunting Echoes is about the same thing.

Incidentally, black doesn't get mill all that often. They've transitioned black to get Jester's Cap effects. Just sayin.

Also, mill is a decent strategy, even now, if one is willing to commit to it.

Dedisco Modus Operandi Post Facto |  | Instant | Uncommon
Target play puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Counter any spells with the same name as those cards.

This card is awesome...just needs a better name.  
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Undercity Miasma

Sorcery

in their graveyard.

"Oh gods... the STENCH!"

And?

Traumatize + Haunting Echoes is about the same thing.

Not really.  Best case scenario, the player would still have a bunch of lands sitting in their deck they could draw through... so they'd have some time.  And that assumes you managed to take out every non-land card they have... possible?  Very much so.  Guaranteed?  No.  This card, however, is an outright win, because it directly puts both halves of a library into the graveyard with the combo (and for one mana cheaper, but who's counting).
Show
144902215 wrote:
I thought I'd deleted that "And?" because I thought I was being a jerk.

Dang.

Anyway, Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond is also an auto-win, and in a single color to boot, and suppose they manage to squeak out a Laboratory Maniac, then you handed them a two card WIN!

I'm just making  fun right now.  But I do think that only one color should have "top of the library, straight to graveyard" mill and that other colors should mill in other ways.

This is literally me. How did you know?
Oh, it's the same for you? It's definitely the most accurate description of my personality that I ever heard..
Mill is traditionally a blue thing, until you get a multicolour set/card.  Black gets to get rid of specific cards in a library, not exactly the top card... again, until you hit a multicolour set/card.
Show
Probably a bad idea, but just for fun:

Dark Profusion
Sorcery
Name a card. Put the top card of target player's library and your library into their owner's graveyards. If exactly two cards were put into graveyards this way, and neither was the named card, repeat this process.
Draw a card.
"...until only darkness remains."
Mill is traditionally a blue thing, until you get a multicolour set/card.  Black gets to get rid of specific cards in a library, not exactly the top card... again, until you hit a multicolour set/card.

Mill is traditionaly in the colorless section, [c]Mill stone[/C], so any color can get it.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Death at the Mill |
Sorcery
Put target creature on top of its owner's library. That creature's owner puts the top 4 cards of his library into his graveyard.
"He never even knew what hit him."

*The picture is of a giant millstone about to crush a totally unexpecting guy that is working."
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck

Mill is traditionaly in the colorless section, [c]Mill stone[/C], so any color can get it.

Don't be so hasty to equate colorless with "every color". Though I'm sure you could sneak minor mill like Shock with Mill 2 into other colors, as long as the flavor fit.

Irritate

Instant

Counter target spell. Its controller puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

And a twist on Bloodchief Ascension:

Mindburn

When a card enters an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, ~ deals one damage to him or her.

Don't be so hasty to equate colorless with "every color". Though I'm sure you could sneak minor mill like Shock with Mill 2 into other colors, as long as the flavor fit.

Mill does occur in black occasionally. Most mill decks use anyway.

Red gets Book Burning, but bleed's the whole point of punishing.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Irritate

Instant

Counter target spell. Its controller puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

And a twist on Bloodchief Ascension:

Mindburn

When a card enters an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, ~ deals one damage to him or her.

Mill does occur in black occasionally. Most mill decks use anyway.

Red gets Book Burning, but bleed's the whole point of punishing.

Mind burn + Mindcrank?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?