Bonfire vs Cloudshift

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent uses bonfire of the damned and I use cloudshift , does my creature die.
Yes it will.  With bonfire still on the stack you can cloudshift a creature of yours, but it will return to the battlefield as part of the resolution of cloudshift.  After cloudshift finishes resolving the bonefire can then resolve, so the creature that you cloudshifted is on the battlefield and will take damage from the bonfire.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

It would be different if the card said "target creature" instead of "each creature", because the creature that was targetted would no longer exist on resolution. "Each creature", on the hand, doesn't care what creatures existed when the spell was cast.
Cloudshift the way it works to drop targets is unique and almost contradictory to the rules of the game. I used to think couldshift was mainly to get the extra "enter the battlefield" pump off a creature before someone kills it off. I can understand the whole "a creature returning from exile is a fresh copy with no counters and what not" yet when it comes to legendaries it is really hard to convince people that a legendary target comes out of cloudshift while a spell targeting that legendary creature is still on the stack that the spell no longer has a legal target even though the named target is techinically still on the battlefield when it goes to resolve. Boardwipe or global effects is pretty much the only way around the target drop. I still think it is hard to justify the fact of dropping a target when its back on the battlefield before the aggressive spell resolves. Given it does the drop target effect it should cost more to cast imo.
Cloudshift the way it works to drop targets is unique and almost contradictory to the rules of the game. I used to think couldshift was mainly to get the extra "enter the battlefield" pump off a creature before someone kills it off. I can understand the whole "a creature returning from exile is a fresh copy with no counters and what not" yet when it comes to legendaries it is really hard to convince people that a legendary target comes out of cloudshift while a spell targeting that legendary creature is still on the stack that the spell no longer has a legal target even though the named target is techinically still on the battlefield when it goes to resolve. Boardwipe or global effects is pretty much the only way around the target drop. I still think it is hard to justify the fact of dropping a target when its back on the battlefield before the aggressive spell resolves. Given it does the drop target effect it should cost more to cast imo.

Well, you could try to start a discussion in Rules Theory, but it might help to just think of Cloudshift as teleporting the creature just out of the way of your opponent's Lightning Bolt. So a Lightning Bolt/Glacial Ray would miss, but something that hits a really wide area like Pyroclasm would still get it even though it moved.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I can understand the whole "a creature returning from exile is a fresh copy with no counters and what not" yet when it comes to legendaries it is really hard to convince people that a legendary target comes out of cloudshift while a spell targeting that legendary creature is still on the stack that the spell no longer has a legal target even though the named target is techinically still on the battlefield when it goes to resolve.

Look at the art of Cloudshift. The version of Avacyn on the left is the one you targeted, then one on the right is the one that exists after cloushift resolves. Your lighting bolt passes harmlessly though the cloud-that-looks-like-Avacyn, and the real Avacyn comes down to smite you.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
If my opponent uses bonfire of the damned and I use cloudshift , does my creature die.

I suppose that depends on the value of X and the toughness of the creature Tongue Out

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments