Building a Fortune Card deck with treachery cards

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't been able to find any new rules on how to build a Fortune Card deck that includes treachery cards. The original rules state that for every 10 cards in your deck you need 3 of each type(attack, defense, tactic). But, how many treachery cards can you include?
Do you still need to include 3 of each of the original types, leaving one slot for a treachery card? Or is it now 2 of each type of card if you include treachery cards, leaving 2 open spots? 
lol I was just coming on the boards to ask the same thing.

My interpretation was that you can only use the treachery cards as the optional extra fill in (that 1 card in every 10 that you can chose to be any type). That or they can be used to replace any cards taking up the slot of the regular card. The rules on the treachery cards are here:

www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...

and they aren't real clear.
Here's what the rules card included in the boosters says:

"A custom Fortune Card deck can contain any multiple of 10 cards (10, 20, 30, and so on), including Treachery cards. For every 10 cards in your deck, you can have no more than 2 Treachery cards with the same name."

My interpretation is that they've repealed the 3-per-type rule, and replaced it with this new rule. One of my players called Wizards support, and the call backs this up.
Here's what the rules card included in the boosters says:

"A custom Fortune Card deck can contain any multiple of 10 cards (10, 20, 30, and so on), including Treachery cards. For every 10 cards in your deck, you can have no more than 2 Treachery cards with the same name."

My interpretation is that they've repealed the 3-per-type rule, and replaced it with this new rule. One of my players called Wizards support, and the call backs this up.

This seems quite broken if true, because it means you can pick any one non-treachery card and have a custom deck of just 10 of those cards.  Did I interpret this correctly?

For example, I could have 10 copies of the rare tactic card Fey Passage: "Play during your turn as a move action.  You teleport up to 2 squares, or up to your speed if you have the fey origin."  With 10 copies of this card, any fey character would essentially be able to teleport as a move action (once per round, on his turn, for up to 10 times per encounter).
No, it's sounding like you can only have 2 of the same name card. So only 2 Fey Passage. it'd be nice to hear an official word on this.
No, it's sounding like you can only have 2 of the same name card. So only 2 Fey Passage. it'd be nice to hear an official word on this.

Well, the quoted text said "no more than 2 treachery cards with the same name."  Fey Passage (and any card before the most recent treachery set) is not a treachery card, so if the quote is correct then you're allowed to have as many as you want of non-treachery cards.

I've asked Customer Service online, and I'll post their response.
Well, it took a while, but I finally got Customer Service to admit that the developers have no idea what they're doing.  The first time I asked the question, its status got stuck on "Waiting on Internal".  So I asked it again, and I got this response:

Thanks for writing in! As you noted in your email, there is indeed a conflict in the custom deck construction rules for fortune cards and treachery cards and I do not currently have a definitive answer for you. The issue is under review by our developers, and I have forwarded your feedback to the team that is addressing this issue. While I cannot guarantee any further follow up with you about this issue, we may contact you for further information if needed.

This was the wording of the question I asked which generated the above response:

What are the rules for creating a custom deck of treachery fortune cards + non-treachery fortune cards?

(Treachery fortune cards are the ones in the most recent set, "Drow Treachery Fortune Cards". Non-treachery fortune cards are all the ones in all the older sets, "Shadow over Nentir Vale", "Neverwinter", "Fury of the Feywild", and "Spiral of Tharizdun".)

For non-treachery fortune cards, we were supposed to have at least 3 each of Attack, Defense, and Tactics cards per deck of 10.

For treachery fortune cards, we may have no more than 2 of the same named treachery fortune card per deck of 10.

But treachery fortune cards are not categorized as Attack, Defense, or Tactics, so what rules govern the creation of custom decks that mix non-treachery fortune cards with treachery fortune cards?

If we must still have at least 3 of attack / defense / and tactics cards for per 10 cards in our deck, that means we may have at most one treachery fortune card per deck of 10, in which case the restriction to only 2 named treachery fortune cards per deck of 10 is otiose.

In contrast, if the only rule now is that we may have at most 2 named treachery fortune cards per deck of 10, that means that restrictions on attack / defense / tactics cards are no longer in force, in which case a deck with 10 tactics cards (and 0 treachery cards), for example, is legal.

In other words, the old rule for custom deck creation (at most 3 each of attack / defense / tactics per deck of 10) doesn't fit well with the new one (no more than 2 of the same named treachery card per deck of 10).

So, what are the rules for forming custom decks of fortune cards, keeping in mind that some of these fortune cards may also be untyped treachery cards?

I'd appreciate a careful answer that doesn't just link to the fortune card rules FAQ, because the whole point of my question is that these rules seem obsoleted by the new treachery fortune cards which lack an attack / defense / tactics type.

Thanks.

Ugh; it's hard to maintain faith in Wizards of the Coast if they let something this egregious slip through quality control.  I doubt I'll ever hear back again from Customer Service on this issue, but if I do I'll try to dig up this old post and update it again.  Anyway, I hope this helps. 
I got this response from Customer Service on October 22.  Sorry it took so long for me to post this, but I had given up hope and wasn't checking for updates.

Thanks for your patience on this. I got a response from the developers, which I'm copying here (and will get added to the Fortune Card FAQ shortly):

The current Fortune Card rules state that in a custom Fortune Card deck, 9 of every 10 cards in the deck must fall evenly into the Attack, Defense, or Tactics categories. This does not conflict with the Treachery deck rules, which state merely that a custom deck cannot include more than 2 identically-named Treachery cards for every 10 cards in the deck. A 10-card deck of mixed Fortune and Treachery cards, therefore, could contain 1 Treachery card. A 20-card mixed deck could contain 2 Treachery cards that may or may not have the same name. A 30-card mixed deck could contain up to 3 Treachery cards, 2 of which could have the same name.

If you are interested in making Treachery cards a more prominent part of your game experience, however, consider the following rules variant. This is not a new rule, merely a suggestion as to how a group might go about using more Treachery cards.

"If the DM permits, you can substitute Treachery cards for one category of basic Fortune Cards (Attack, Defense, or Tactics). Your deck must still have at least three cards of each category for every 10 cards in your deck, and you can still have no more than 2 Treachery cards with the same name for every 10 cards in your deck."

Josh
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

Josh is right that the Fortune Card FAQ has also been updated to reflect this clarification.