Divine Deflection

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's say I cast Divine Deflection targeting myself for some reason. If a source attempts to deal 1 damage to me, will it create a loop that uses up the entire shield in one go?

Edit: Additional question: If the target is instead a Gideon Jura who is a creature, but Gideon stops being a creature before the end of the turn, will he still be dealt damage when Divine Deflection prevents damage to me?
Rules Advisor
Apply Replacement Effects ONCE to each event. No loop.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

I would reccomend targetting your opponent in most cases.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Apply Replacement Effects ONCE to each event. No loop.

But doesn't each application of the replacement effect generate a new damage event?

Rules Advisor

614.5. A replacement effect doesn’t invoke itself repeatedly; it gets only one opportunity to affect an event or any modified events that may replace it.

What replacement effect?  All I see is a prevention effect with an additional effect.
615.5. Some prevention effects also include an additional effect, which may refer to the amount of damage that was prevented. The prevention takes place at the time the original event would have happened; the rest of the effect takes place immediately afterward.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
isn't a prevention effect a replacement effect?
proud member of the 2011 community team
No,  that's protection.  [Protection isn't either, actually]

"614.1. Some continuous effects are replacement effects. Like prevention effects (see rule 615), ..."

"615.1. Some continuous effects are prevention effects. Like replacement effects (see rule 614), ..."

[I'm stuck in a loop! I call this answer a draw!]
isn't a prevention effect a replacement effect?

No, I've made that mistake before.

Another question about this kind of thing (edited into first post, but people probably are just replying to the most recent post). If the target of Divine Deflection is an animated Gideon Jura, can it still deal damage to him if he stops being a creature later in the turn but remains a planeswalker?
Rules Advisor
«Whether the targeted creature or player is still a legal target is not checked after Divine Deflection resolves. For example, if a creature targeted by Divine Deflection gains shroud after Divine Deflection resolves, Divine Deflection can still deal damage to that creature.»

not sure how you have him stop being a creature, but that works
proud member of the 2011 community team
Another question about this kind of thing (edited into first post, but people probably are just replying to the most recent post). If the target of Divine Deflection is an animated Gideon Jura, can it still deal damage to him if he stops being a creature later in the turn but remains a planeswalker?

Yes. Divine Deflection's target only needs to be a creature when the spell is played, and when it resolves. Thereafter, so long as the permanent is one which can be dealt damage (that being creatures and planeswalkers), the effect will continue to function.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
But then...
«If Divine Deflection can't deal damage to the targeted creature or player (because the creature has gained protection from white, is no longer on the battlefield, or is no longer a creature, or the player is no longer in the game, for example), it will still prevent damage. It just won't deal any damage itself.»

But planeswalkers can be dealt damage, unlike other non-creature permanents.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
not sure how you have him stop being a creature

Interesting challenge!

I was teasing.

It's usually better not to.  Someone might mistake your post for an actual rules answer.

If you have a quibble about the rulings in gatherer, make a post in RT&T or send a PM to Avedomni.

Actually, I realized Gideon's a bad example anyways, as turning him into a creature also prevents all damage dealt to him for the rest of the turn. I guess you'd have to do Opalescence or March of the Machines shenanigans instead.
Rules Advisor
as turning him into a creature also prevents all damage dealt to him for the rest of the turn.

nah, Leyline of Punishment or Everlasting Torment will do nicely (though I suppose that'd mess with Deflection too)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Let's say I cast Divine Deflection targeting myself for some reason. If a source attempts to deal 1 damage to me, will it create a loop that uses up the entire shield in one go?

Yes it will. The damage dealt by Divine Deflection is a different damage event, so it will continue preventing the damage and then dealing it until the entire shield is used up.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have another question about this card.

My opponent controls a planeswalker and attacks me with two 3/3s. If I cast Divine Deflection with X=6 targeting my opponent, can I deal 3 to my opponent and 3 to his planeswalker? If one of the 3/3s has first strike does the answer change?
Rules Advisor
If you have a new question, please make a new thread.

1) No, you either redirect all damage or none of it. You can't split it.
2) Yes. In this case, Divine Deflection's ability will prevent two packets of damage. You can send one packet (the portion created from preventing first strike damage for example) to his planeswalker, and later in the turn (since Deflection is still active) you can send the rest of its damage to his face.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.