[DC] Rider ability

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Goblin Wolf Rider's Rider ability states:

"When this creature is destroyed, you can immediately deploy 1 Goblin or Wolf creature of Level 3 or lower in the square it occupied."

Where is this Goblin or Wolf creature supposed to come from?  Your creature hand?  The Creature deck?  The Graveyard?  From outside of these three piles?  From any of these?
Good question.  I would interpret it as only from your creature hand, but then it would have limited usefulness depending on the makeup of your warband.  I look forward to a ruling on this one.
Wouldn't you deploy it the same way all creatures are deployed, i.e. from your hand.
Wouldn't you deploy it the same way all Creatures are deployed, i.e. from your hand.

Exactly. The Rider power only breaks two rules: a) that you deploy during phase 3 (your Deploy phase) and b) that you deploy in your Start area.  The rules text says:

"[...]Choose any of the Creature cards in your hand and place the corresponding miniature[...]"

Since the Rider power doesn't let you choose your creature from your graveyard or your Creature deck, you still have to play by the rulesbook, where the creature comes from: your hand.
I would interpret that to mean from any source available. If you do not have a creature in your hand that matches the criteria (goblin or wolf of level 3 or lower), then you must be able to draw either from your Creature deck or your graveyard.
i'm gonna rule with deploy rules as well. you must "deploy" from your hand. if you don't have one in your hand, oh well.

key words is "you can deploy"
The Goblin Wolf Rider's Rider ability states:

"When this creature is destroyed, you can immediately deploy 1 Goblin or Wolf creature of Level 3 or lower in the square it occupied."

Where is this Goblin or Wolf creature supposed to come from?  Your creature hand?  The Creature deck?  The Graveyard?  From outside of these three piles?  From any of these?

The power says "deploy 1 Goblin or Wolf creature of Level 3 or lower." The term "deploy" is defined on p. 14 in the rulebook as follows: "Choose any of the Creature cards in your hand and place the corresponding miniature in your Start area, placing the Creature card face up in front of you."

In other words, the Goblin or Wolf must come from the creature cards in your hand.

By the book, I'd agree with you Hreth.

But in the spirit of what is intended by the rule, which is that the rider and mount are two separate creatures, I'd be inclined to house-rule it and let the player replace either the rider or the mount with a Creature from any source (hand, deck, or graveyard)--maybe to make it fair, the attacker can state whether they attacked and killed the rider or the mount.
But in the spirit of what is intended by the rule, which is that the rider and mount are two separate creatures, I'd be inclined to house-rule it and let the player replace either the rider or the mount with a Creature from any source (hand, deck, or graveyard)--maybe to make it fair, the attacker can state whether they attacked and killed the rider or the mount.

That's what House Rules are for, to capture your story lines, interpretation, style of play, etc. I'm just trying to help answer the OP's question.

By the book, I'd agree with you Hreth.

The attack can kill both the goblin and the wolf. The intention of the rule is not in question, they clearly intend for you to follow all of the normal deploy rules execpt for the stated exeptions. I'm not sure what the spirit of the intention is though Tongue Out

The type of attack is probably relevant as well. An arrow can pierce only one creature, whereas a spell would probably affect both.
The type of attack is probably relevant as well. An arrow can pierce only one creature, whereas a spell would probably affect both.

The game doesn't have this level of simulation. What do mean when you say the type of attack is relevant? Are just talking about creating a thematic explaination. An archer could kill the Rider and the controlling player may not have a Gob or Wolf to bring into play at that time. 
It's from hand only. You are supposed to try building your warband so as to take advantage of the ability. If you don't have a creature card the ability is useless. Think of it as the opponent killing both the rider and the wolf.