Most popular commanders

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
The commander decks have us slew of new commanders (15 I think).

So which ones are the most common? I'm seeing alot of ghave animar and mimeoplasm followed by zedruu and edric.

3DH4LIF3

Kaalia is almost omnipresent.  I thought this was a general thread when I first clicked on it.  I thought we were talking about stuff like Omnath or Rafiq.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I'm in the Mimeoplasm crowd, but have also seen (personally) 3 different decks using Child of Alara.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Kaalia and Ghave for sure. There's at least three of each that float in and out of the local store's Commander night. No other card from the Commander set has more than one that I've seen more than once. Olivia Voldaren is probably the most played non-Commander commander there.

After those three there's a wide variety. 

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

We can get general with commanders (pun?).

We generally try not to repeat one, but it happens. We have rubina, thrax, sharuum, damia, uril, Karn, tariel, griselBanned (or geth), 2 wydwens, 2 niv-mizzets, 2 animars, avacyn, hidetsugu, arcanis, teneb, zedruu, riku, slivers, sen triplets, ghave, karador, skullbriar, edric, kresh, mimeoplasm, pheldy, momir vig ... we've had others that have been taken apart too. Not too many of the same.

3DH4LIF3

I see Kaalia, Ghave, Edric, Mayael, and Rafiq the most. Today, however, I played against a Lord Tresserhorn deck. Was weird. Games went well for me.
Same. We get a lot of variety, but those three generals show up with multiple people. Offhand I remember seeing Niv-Mizzet, both Mikaeus, Sen Triplets, Rith, Rafiq, Jenara, Jor-Kadeen, white Sygg, slivers, Uril, Radha, Stonebrow, Savra, Zur, Sharuum, Nin, Damia, Riku, various angels, Ulamog.....ok, there's no way I remember them all. I do know that the R/W/U wedge commanders are largely ignored, same goes for the Jund trio.
I guess I'm a prime offender, I have like 7 decks put together and 2 works in progress.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I suppose its not surprising that the new commanders are popular. But now that I on it rafiq seems a little resurgent.

3DH4LIF3

At our shop we have Talrand, Sky Summoner, Damia, Sage of Stone, Gisela, Blade of Goldknight, Glissa, the Traitor, Teysa, Orzhov Scion, Sliver Overlord, Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Kresh the Bloodbraided.

Two of us have all 5 of the preconstructs. I dig Ghave a bunch but have never spent much time building him. Edric, and Kresh are both mine. The Sliver fella doesn't show up much.

Just based off everything I've ever seen online Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is the most popular general.
I see Kaalia, Ghave, Edric, Mayael, and Rafiq the most. Today, however, I played against a Lord Tresserhorn deck. Was weird. Games went well for me.

Of all five of my current EDH decks, Lord of Tresserhorn is my favorite.  Maybe it's because he's not too popular or it takes a bit of finesse to work around his drawback, but I just love it.  My other decks have kind of fallen to the wayside.

I'm playing with a new group at the moment, so I haven't seen all of their decks, but so far we have:

Mine:  Rith, the Awakener, Kemba, Kha Regent, Merieke Ri Berit, Lord of Tresserhorn, Grimgrin, Corpse-Born

Others:  Ruhan of the Fomori, Rafiq of the Many, Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

It's a fun group.  We play Planechase every time too, as I finally completed my collection of planes.

Also, Maelstrom Wanderer has been popping up at my LGS pretty frequently lately.

We have a few 'original' generals in our group.

Phelddagrif
Cromat (Illusion, who knew?)
Karador
Mimeoplasm
Zedruu
Kaalia
Lord of Tresserhorn
Rasputin Dreamweaver - This one is teh bollocks, white mana ramp if you can believe:  Blink this one all day long.  I just found out that there is an infinite combo with Rasputin:  Lattice, Rasputin and Deadeye.  Hilarious, and far cooler than using Palinchron.

My current generals are:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (well, when he comes out... deck's built, though)
Ayesha Tanaka - Banding deck, yes you heard correct.
Adun Oakenshield
Gaddock Teeg
Savra, Queen of the Golgari
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Rubinia Soulsinger

Working on -

Asmira, Holy Avenger token based oppression, would you believe I can't find an aura shards?
Sen Triplets because I traded for a foil one... and uh, no other reason. Dunno what the focus will be just yet.  But it can be pretty rude.  Maybe I'll make that one my stax/tax deck.

One guy in our group has like 20 EDH decks... he has a bunch that he's working on all the time:

Wort (the gold one, not hybrid)
Azusa
Animar
Thrax
Circu (this is one of my personal favourites to play against... because it's MEAN.)
Geth
Mikaeus, the Looney.
The Dragon Tyrant thingy guy.

I can't remember all of them, but most are pre-commander box release.  Personally, I'm getting tired of playing against commander EDH decks.  I wouldn't mind building an Archer based Lady Caleria deck for giggles.  It would be fun!
Cromat an illusion? I knew. He's my preferred 5c commander.

3DH4LIF3

I play Cromat, too. The deck functions pretty well given the admittedly less than optimal deck building strategy I went with: All 10 Balefire Liege type cards plus Tolsimir Wolfblood and Knight of New Alara, and as many multicolor cards as I could cram in.

I was thinking that I wanted to make a mono-green deck because only one of my five decks sports green.  However, I keep going back to Omnath, who seems almost cliched at this point.  Also, the Golgari greatness coming out of RtR makes me want to go for The Mimeoplasm.  *Sigh*

I was thinking that I wanted to make a mono-green deck because only one of my five decks sports green.  However, I keep going back to Omnath, who seems almost cliched at this point.  Also, the Golgari greatness coming out of RtR makes me want to go for The Mimeoplasm.  *Sigh*

Why not use Skullbriar then or Jarad? Either one could put the Golgari cards and aren't so frequently seen (at least in my experience)
Sapling of Colfenor and Sisters of Stone Death are good choices as well.

In fact, I think it would be fun to build a deck around Sisters.
My playgroup consists of 10 people.
Some of the decks are: [C]The Mimeoplasm[/C], [C]Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund[/C], [C]Sedris, the Traitor King[/C], [C]Grimgrin, Corpse-born[/C], [C]Uril, the Miststalker[/C], [C]Kemba, Kha Regent[/C],[C]Sigarda, Host of Herons[/C], [C]Rafiq of the Many[/C] and [C]Sliver Overlord[/C]

Some of us tend to build new decks on a daily basis just for fun. So the decklist changes all the time. Sometimes we even pick the deck we're playing at random. 
It's a fun group.  We play Planechase every time too, as I finally completed my collection of planes.

I don't mind Planechase EDH once in a while, but the games tend to take an extra hour to play, so I'll ony go for it if I've got alot of time on my hands.
Oh gawd, do they ever dangerousbeans.  One of my regular friends brings out Planechase every now and again.  Only problem is, unless the plane is really problematic(for everyone, or makes one deck OP, for example), we tend to forget about it after a while, and sit on one plane.  Anyone have that problem?

The commanders I frequently see are Wort, Boggart Auntie(he's been 'encouraged' to build other EDH decks, though...), Riku of Two Reflections, Thromok the Insatiable, Karn, Silver Golem, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, and Sharuum the Hegemon(of course).

I personally play with Sedris, the Traitor King, Merieke Ri Berit, Captain Sisay, and Olivia Voldaren.
I suppose I like all the variance that comes with the Commander format inherently, and Planechase just rachets it up a few notches.  I really like those long games, though.  With our group, anyway, there's always something happening.  I'd probably feel differently if the game lagged.

On Thada Adel... oh I hate her.  "Oh, you have an island?  Gimme your stuff!" or "Oh, you don't have an island?  Well now you do (Spreading Seas).  Gimme your stuff!"  I want my playgroup to consider banning her from being a commander. 

She seems annoying to meta game against. Don't play artifacts? Right... :/

3DH4LIF3

She seems annoying to meta game against. Don't play artifacts? Right... :/

I was playing Kemba, Kha Regent, so you can imagine how well that went. 

My playgroup is bonkers huge, but The decks I see most of are Animar and Sharuum. 

The most ''mainstream'' decks in my opinion are Animar, Sharuum, Mimeoplasm, Omnath, Rafiq, Kresh and Karn, Silver Golem

Now, I like to keep things hipster. I play wrexial, the risen deep goddammit xD.  
My playgroup is bonkers huge, but The decks I see most of are Animar and Sharuum. 

The most ''mainstream'' decks in my opinion are Animar, Sharuum, Mimeoplasm, Omnath, Rafiq, Kresh and Karn, Silver Golem

Now, I like to keep things hipster. I play wrexial, the risen deep goddammit xD.  

Karn?  Really?  I can't say I've seen a single one, yet.  I've seen a lot of praise for him on the interwebz, though.  Otherwise, I agree about the other guys.  I'm trying to resist the urge to build around Omnath or the Mimeoplasm. 

Props dude...he was my first commander when I got into this format, so I've got a special love for him(so much so that he remains in my Merieke deck to this day).

Karn?  Really?  I can't say I've seen a single one, yet.  I've seen a lot of praise for him on the interwebz, though.  Otherwise, I agree about the other guys.  I'm trying to resist the urge to build around Omnath or the Mimeoplasm. 

I forgot we had a second karn... the player isn't very consistent though.

I have mine, and have seen two or three others I think... 

3DH4LIF3

In my area, most common decks are memnarch, sharuum, niv-mizzet, mimeoplasm, scion the ur-dragon, omnath and zur. But these are just the commanders multiple people employ. Others include too many to remember
I'm sick AND tired of seeing Scion of the Ur-Dragon decks!

I see a lot of Jenara, Asura of War and Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I have Wrexial in my Sygg deck, but he turns me into a bad person. Because of him I ended up strip mining one dude's lands 4 times per turn.

Speaking of Sygg, I've only ever seen one other deck running him.

I've seen several Thraximunder decks, surprised nobody has mentioned him yet.
On Thada Adel... oh I hate her.  "Oh, you have an island?  Gimme your stuff!" or "Oh, you don't have an island?  Well now you do (Spreading Seas).  Gimme your stuff!"  I want my playgroup to consider banning her from being a commander. 

Just curious what the ban critra would be? Stealing stuff is her only real power, is Geth, Lord of the Vault banned?
I have Wrexial in my Sygg deck, but he turns me into a bad person. Because of him I ended up strip mining one dude's lands 4 times per turn.

Speaking of Sygg, I've only ever seen one other deck running him.

I've seen several Thraximunder decks, surprised nobody has mentioned him yet.

I've seen a few Thrax decks now that I think about it.  I was going to try to build one myself, but I had so many ideas that it became two decks: Lord of Tresserhorn and Grimgrin, Corpse-Born

Just curious what the ban critra would be? Stealing stuff is her only real power, is Geth, Lord of the Vault banned?

Geth doesn't tutor up what he steals.  That's a big difference.
In my area, most common decks are memnarch, sharuum, niv-mizzet, mimeoplasm, scion the ur-dragon, omnath and zur. But these are just the commanders multiple people employ. Others include too many to remember

I am so sorry to hear that these are the decks you have to deal with.
Those guys aren't so scary! Except for all of them..
It's not even that they're scary, they're ubiquitous.  Also, most of them are lame combo machines.  When anyone ever plays Niv-Mizzet, I basically just sit around waiting for them to play Curiosity, or save my counterspell for it.

I have Niv-Mizzet friend who dedicates 3 cards to the curiosity combo goes hard with the rest of the deck. That's why I think it's scary. It's a really solid plan B and I can't always save counter magic for it.
I loved my Zur the Enchanter deck. First time I heard of EDH, I threw a deck together with one of the few Legendary creatures I had...

Turn 1 Land
Turn 2 Mana ramp
Turn 3 Zur 
Turn 4 Attack
Turn 5 Attack 

Enchantments he can grab are just crazy.

Ok looking back at turn 2 that wouldn't work at all, but I do remember having him consistently casting on turn 3. 
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
I've also seen many Azusa and Prog decks. Gisela too, don't know how I forgot her. Sooo many Giselas. I was guilty too though so I can't complain.
I like Gisela, Blade of Goldnight as a tool in my Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer deck. She's just too expensive for me to use her as my general.

There's little duplication in my play pool, mostly because we're all pretty casual and don't like copying each others commanders. I think the only doubled commander among the folks I regularly play with is Kresh, the Bloodbraided. Which I am fine with because saying his name is a blast. "Kresh... THE BLOODBRAIDED!"

Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Azami is another commander I see frequently and makes me sad.