Switching Equipment for Multiple Daily Powers

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

A bit of a new comer on the forums here, so please forgive me if this question has been answered to death.

I've been going through my books and have been unable to find a ruling against switching equipment to gain new daily powers.  This is important because I want to know if it is feasible to make multiple copies of the same item, say Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and switch them out between fights to effectively give a character multiple uses of its daily power per day.

If this is acceptable within the realm of the rules, then I am perfectly fine with doing it.  If there is some rule or errata against it, could you please direct me to it?

Thanks in advance! 

from my understanding you can only use 1 daily magic item power / day.  This goes up to 2 per day in paragon and 3 per day.  Possible this is recharged if you hit a milestone but I'm not 100 % on that.  At work so I can't check on that last part.

However what you can do is make multiple items with ENCOUNTER powers on them.  And then juggle them during combat.  Each item has their own power to expend and there's no limit to how many times you can switch.  So for example, you have a weapon with an encounter power on it, you use it then switch weapons to another version of the exact same weapon and use it again.  Nothing that stops you from doing that, and they recharge during a short rest of course.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

With the current rules printed in the Rules Compendium and Heros books magic items have a Rarity level common, uncommon and rare.
By the (current) rules PCs are not supposed to be able to make uncommon or rare items.
Gauntlets of Ogre power are now listed as rare so the exact example you give is out of bounds.
Most items with daily powers are going to be uncommon or rare, by design.

By the old rules in PHB and DMG you were limited in how many daily magic items powers you could use each day. You were limited to an number equal to your teir, heroic 1, paragon 2, epic 3, you then got an extra usage at each mile stone ( two exp earning encounters ) just like gaining action points. So by those rules you could, but would have to have at least 3 fights to use two gauntlets once each. 

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Also the official rules in Living Forgotten Realms have other limits, and some home games like to follow LFR rules.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
When I DM, I use a couple of house rules:

1.  Players can use whatever powers the magic items they're wearing (or carrying if consumable) without the 1 daily/day tier limit.   If they are wearing 5 magic items that each has a daily power, so be it.   They can use all 5 if they choose.

However:

2.  Players can only have one magic item per slot.   In other words, if a player wearing magic gloves with a power on them finds another set of magic gloves with some other power, he must choose which one to wear, and sell, hand down, or permanently store the other.
Even if the power were an encounter power, I do not allow the player to use the magic from one set of gloves, and then later switch that out for another set of gloves.
#1 is the RAW as of the Rules Compendium.

In lieu of #2, I'd suggest a more limited restriction: you can't use the same daily item power twice in one day*, even if you have multiple copies of the item. You can still use different item daily powers in the same slot, though.

This eliminates the biggest problem with item duplication - using a single gimmick over and over.

* Excepting cases where another feature or power allows the re-use or recharging of an item daily power, such as the artificer's Arcane Empowerment feature.
I am not sure it was clarified, but the old rule about 1 Magic Item Daily Power per day was abolished.
i always have a 'no duplicate items' requirement on every table i run, specifically to prevent this kind of behavior from weak players
i always have a 'no duplicate items' requirement on every table i run, specifically to prevent this kind of behavior from weak players

Yeah, this is absolutely the easiest way to run it without cluttering your player's minds with even more rules. The only exception I make to this is for consumable items like whetstones, potions, elixirs, and alchemical items.
I am not sure it was clarified, but the old rule about 1 Magic Item Daily Power per day was abolished.

This was a smart move and it really made me wonder why the rule ever existed in the first place. It was extremely limiting and took a lot of the fun out of magic items. Was it due to unrestricted item creation using magic item rituals? Maybe they were using this as a way to control the power creep at higher levels. Or maybe they were using the recharge on milestone as yet another way to encourage players ever onward and not have a 15 minute work day.

What do you all think? Why did those restrictions exist in 4e at launch?
It was mostly for the sake of creating a reason for the PCs to keep going, ensuring that they couldn't nova a bunch of daily powers in the first encounter. To some extent it would also compensate for the use of character dailies as the day went on. This might have been more meaningful if the early item daily powers had actually been significant, but most of them would probably be considered for encounter powers nowadays.

What do you all think? Why did those restrictions exist in 4e at launch?

To prevent the "golf bag full of wands" problem.

Low-level wands are trivially cheap.  It is thus possible to have an in-practice  infinite supply of Wand Of Encounter Power Here, and thus never need to drop an at-will - instead, you pull out a wand and use the DAily on it and use an Encounter instead, and these Encounter powers have a huge selection.

Similarly, this stops you from carrying 400 sets of Dwarven Armor and getting infinite surgeless healing, etc etc.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.