Petition to add the Draft into DoTP 14

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know at least for me, to continue purchasing this product in the future, the next game needs to have the draft and have the ability to create your own decks with any card.

The series is great and taught me how to play magic but as I've grown better at the game, the current system this game has can only go so far. Each match is now dissolving into counter picks and resulting in very similar matches. One powerful deck can ruin the whole game (like in 2012).

We are not asking for much. Keep the same system as before. Have a bunch of premade decks that you have to unlock cards for and have a special online mode that is restricted to only using the premade decks that come with the game. Then:

1) Add a draft mode where you open randomized "booster packs", quickly create a deck and then can battle the computer or online against up to 4 people.

2) Add a create a deck feature where every card from the last 4 years of DoTP is available to you to create your own decks (conforming to Standard rules) and play online against other people who have done this.

Now I know what you are thinking Wizard developers and naysayers who will post in this topic. "That's silly, what about people who paid for cards in Magic Online? It's unfair to them. You can't provide access to thousands of cards that it would usually take a century to acquire for a $15 xbox live/PSN price tag".

My answer is: I never said charge normal price for draft and create a deck mode. Release the basic game for $15. Then have a separate DLC you can download to add draft and create a deck modes. Charge $40-60 for this. People who want this amazing experience can buy it. Those who just want the average experience can stick to the $15 release. Everyone is happy in theory.

Sign this petition if you agree with me that these mode would make DoTP 14 the best release yet.
Not to be a nitpicker, I would like to be able to create a deck too but isn't this all already available in Magic Online?

Release Magic Online for the Ipad and I'd be in
Yeah not gonna happen, they make too much money from drafting on magic online
I don't see it for draft thanks to competition with MtG Online and the time commitment involved in a draft tournament. A more feasible idea would be sealed deck, where you'd build a deck out of a set number of random cards, play other people doing the same, and have that deck list deleted when you exit. It would infringe on MtG Online less and is much better for casual, pickup play.
...whatever
I don't know man. I think most people play limited (draft/sealed) because it's so fun, not necessarily for the packs/cards they get to keep at the end. If I had a choice between a constructed and a limited tourney, I would pony up the extra money and play the limited tourney every time.

It is mildly addicting, the on the fly deckbuilding and whatnot.

I can't say this with certainty, but, if there were "free" drafting or sealed offered, I imagine it would eat a little bit into MTGO. I would certainly be doing it for free all the time instead of dropping $$$ on 3 packs, just for the "experience" of limited. I honestly don't think I'm alone in thinking this.
"I know at least for me, to continue purchasing this product in the future, the next game needs to have the draft and have the ability to create your own decks with any card."
Draft would be cool but in regard to your other point i completely disagree. if you want that play magic in real life or go on magic online. i got magic online and came back to duels, i prefer the way it's set up on duels better for digital stuff.
If people were allowed to create their own decks out of the limited amount of cards within duels all that would happen is people would mostly build the same decks and would go online and everyone would be playing pretty much same copied decks.
So stop being so arrogant and just enjoy duels for what it is 
I would hate to see duels turn into "who has the most money to buy rares". I just want to play magic! 
IF(and thats a huge IF) they do it the game will be A LOT pricier as well as u basically want them to enable things that are already present in MTGO so yea gl with that
No idea what draft is, but if they change anything (im happy the way it is) then just give us set colour options, like 5 monos and 5 dual to start with (with adding colour combos in DLC) and let us build a deck from a pool of cards. Like 200 black cards can be used in mono black or the B/R colour combo, but you can't make your own colour combos on the fly.

That would be interesting.

IMO, they should try and get people over from MTGO to play more DOTP. I bet you can sell DLC to more people through a popular DOTP than you can a MTGO (i'm not talking over all, but you could definately increase DOTP profits massively, seems as it is now over 4 platforms.)   
No idea what draft is,

All you need to know is, it requires the purchase of Booster packs.

Which is why they won't give us a means to do it without buying packs. 
There is a mod I play for the original DOTP that adds 'Draft Packs', which is essentially a whole new game mode. It works like this...

1. You pick a Draft Pack, which is essentialy a tri-colour deck comprising random cards (from all the available cards in the game) of the three colours you picked. You get all types of card EXCEPT lands (explained later).

2. You get your starting hand of 7 cards (you may mulli if you wish). When you have done this, the computer will add cards to your hand to bring it up to 14 cards, and then you have to discard 7 cards to bring your hand back down to 7

3. At the start of your turn, after you have drawn a card, you may remove (not discard) a card from your hand and trade it for a land of the corresponding colour. If you remove an artifact card, you get a random land

This is a really cool game mode that I still play every now and then. The randomness adds a whole new element to forward planning, and the fact that you control how many lands you have eliminates mana screw/flood

If this 'Draft' mode was introduced into the current or future DOTP games (with the cards we have now), I would gladly pay full price, no question.

Let's start with something simple people, like adjusting land counts manually. Improvements have already been made let's just keep going in the current direction of improvement.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Let's start with something simple people, like adjusting land counts manually. Improvements have already been made let's just keep going in the current direction of improvement.

That warrants a full game purchase? One change?

Why is a optional game mode addition so scary to you?

If this 'Draft' mode was introduced into the current or future DOTP games (with the cards we have now), I would gladly pay full price, no question.

People have said the same thing about Full Customization.
Problem is, Full Customization and Drafting already exist in the game Wizards WANTS you to be playing: Magic: the Gathering and/or Magic: Online.

As much as we'd be willing to pay for DotP, we would never pay as much for that as we would if we were playing M:tG or MtGO. We want them in DotP so we don't have to play the game/s they want us to play. That's why Wizards are not likely to ever add those features to DotP.

And if you ask Wizards directly, as I and others have, they will tell you the same thing they told me/us:
We'll pass your message to our design team, in the mean time, Magic Online has the feature you're looking for so you might be interested in trying it.

People have said the same thing about Full Customization.
Problem is, Full Customization and Drafting already exist in the game Wizards WANTS you to be playing: Magic: the Gathering and/or Magic: Online.

As much as we'd be willing to pay for DotP, we would never pay as much for that as we would if we were playing M:tG or MtGO. We want them in DotP so we don't have to play the game/s they want us to play. That's why Wizards are not likely to ever add those features to DotP.

And if you ask Wizards directly, as I and others have, they will tell you the same thing they told me/us:
We'll pass your message to our design team, in the mean time, Magic Online has the feature you're looking for so you might be interested in trying it.

Exactly, from a business perspective I'm sure they have no intrest in turning DOTP into MTG:O when that's their big money maker. Keep in mind that as good as duels is it's meant to be an introduction to Magic so that as people want to move on to things like the draft, they are then encouraged to go to a store or play MTG:O where they can make their real profit. And most of us can't complain about the package we're getting with Duels for the value in money it provides. Gotta look at it from both sides. Fairly certain WOTC makes more money from a single draft in MTG:O where money is spent for the booster packs than than 1 person purchasing Duels and it's DLC.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
DotP is the casual, arcady introduction to the game that appeals to a broad audience. MtGO appeals to those who are willing to invest money in collecting cards, competive play, and events. Draft belongs squarely with the second product. Adding features where the products bleed too much into each others' markets is only going to weaken the franchise.
Sign In to post comments