Tapping for Newbies

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am new to card-based games. Recently I bought two boxes of Dungeon Command and tried to play a game, but I found the rules about tapping a little confusing.

1. Does tapping occur every time a creature is activated? On its turn? When playing an interrupt?

2. If I move and do a minor, but no standard action, is my creatured tapped?

3. Does gathering treasure cause the creature to be tapped?

4. When one of my creatures is attacked, is it tapped, or is it only tapped if I play a reaction order?

Thanks!
1) No, No, Yes (unless the card specifies otherwise)
2) Nope (and you can actually do as many minors as you want)
3) Yes
4) Attacking doesn't cause it to be tapped (unless the attacking card has a special ability), and as before with interrupts, it will be tapped unless the card says otherwise

You tap a creature only when:

1. It takes a standard action.
2. It takes an immediate action.
3. It assists another creature.
4. An order card or creature power requires it to tap.

Examples: Collecting treasure is a standard action, so the creature taps. Using a minor action does not cause it to tap, unless the minor action uses a power that requires tapping. Dodging a ranged attack when the creature has cover is an immediate action and requires it to tap.

Also, cowering explicity does not cause the creature to tap.

Hmm, okay, then I really am not understanding tapping.

It seems to be a rare occurance related to special actions such as following an order or obtaining treasure, right?

As an aside, what are the little arrowhead markers with the numbers on them for? In my initial game, I could not figure out what they are used for.

Thanks!
Hi Hreth, okay that makes it a little clearer. I'll play through following those rules and see how it goes.

Thanks!
The numbered arrow pieces are for when you multiple copies of the same creature on the board. You place one of the numbers on the card, and one on or near the creature. 

Either that, or I too have been missing what they are :D 
I'm confused as to why there are 30 spaces on the moral scale when it's a negative marking system, i.e. you lose moral from the death of your creatures, but do not boost your moral for killing enemy creatures. Even with the treasure chests in play, it would be nearly impossible to collect as much moral as the board can offer. Have any of you reached this much moral before. I must be missing something. Undecided
I'm confused as to why there are 30 spaces on the moral scale when it's a negative marking system, i.e. you lose moral from the death of your creatures, but do not boost your moral for killing enemy creatures. Even with the treasure chests in play, it would be nearly impossible to collect as much moral as the board can offer. Have any of you reached this much moral before. I must be missing something. Undecided

Well certain leaders start with higher morale and it isn't impossible to get into the 20's currently, just by collecting treasures.  I wouldn't be surprised if future cards and/or creatures have abilities that may generate morale is some shape or form, thus allowing decks to be created with morale generation as their primary mechanic. 
That's highly probable. I just wondered if anyone was attaining that number presently. Nothing in the game thus far indicated that it was highly probable to attain all the moral offered on the card. Thanks for your comment!!!
I found the videos that Mike77 posted on Youtube were very informative in reinforcing the rules and also confirming that I understand the answers that you guys have given regarding when to tap and when not to tap!

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

If a creature is already tapped, it cannot assist another creature even if it is in position to provide the assist, so only untapped creatures can provide an assist, right?

Thanks again everybody!
As Hreth said, assisting is one of the actions that will tap a creature. If it is already tapped, it can't be tapped again to assist.
If a creature is already tapped, it cannot assist another creature even if it is in position to provide the assist, so only untapped creatures can provide an assist, right?

If a creature is tapped for any reason it cannot be tapped again for any another reason, including assisting. You could, of course, play an order card or activate a creature power that untaps the tapped creature.

Some other things to keep in mind regarding assisting:

- Any number of creatures can assist (they all tap)
- Assisting creatures must have the Ability listed on the order card
- Assisting creatures tap even if the order card is a minor action 
Hi and sorry for brining this topic up, but I think I have a question related to it.

Once I take a standard action (attack), I should tap the creature that actually does the attack. And my standard action is done this way.
But if I use an order card that allows me to untap the creature, can I perform another standard action / attack the same turn with the same creature?

Thanks. 
Once I take a standard action (attack), I should tap the creature that actually does the attack. And my standard action is done this way.
But if I use an order card that allows me to untap the creature, can I perform another standard action / attack the same turn with the same creature?

Absolutely.  It's actually one of the reasons such cards were designed.