RW Giant Tribal (Multiplayer)

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
A word on my meta
I play in a meta which is largely dominated by either old legacy decks (Elves tribal for one) or by newer control decks. One player in particular plays a deck that is largely only counters and mind control.

A note on the deck design
This deck was inspired by a random though of "it would be amusing to play two-headed giant with a giant tribal deck". As it happens, I think the deck is actually too slow for 2HG (curve begins at 4 (unless I get a Daredevil out early) and ends at 8). However, I figured it was perfect for my typically slow, control-heavy FFA multiplayer meta.

What am I looking for?
Critique for a start, as well as ideas for a sideboard. I think I need a bit of reach, perhaps some white removal for enchantments. I've already considered Paraselene  for the sideboard. Like I said, heavy control meta with mind control effects. Some board resets as well, although they tend to draw a lot of attention.

Creatures (26)

Spells (6)
[deck]3* Crush Underfoot
3* Giant's Ire[/deck]

Equipment (3)
[deck]1* Argentum Armor
1* Elbrus, the Binding Blade
1* Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang[/deck]

Lands (25)
[deck]4* Ancient Ampitheater
4* Boros Garrison
4* Clifftop Retreat
4* Rugged Prairie
2* Slayers' Stronghold
2* Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
3* Plains
2* Mountain[/deck]

I've considered adding some thing like Swiftfoot Boots  for cards like Brion just to give them some longevity but adding equipment for just one card seems a bit excessive. Also, four copies of Stonehewer might also seem excessive but it's just about increasing my chances of getting him so I can fish up some equipment for fun. I considered Batterskull as well and it may still make it into the deck.
From experience, Giant's Ire is awful, despite being thematic.

Aether Flash and Powerstone Minefield, however, make for decent earlier drops.

Arbiter of Knollridge can make for a surprise play in your favor.

Borderland Behemoth and Hamletback Goliath are ridiculous fun in larger games.  They also provide a great reason to run Boots or Lightning Greaves.

Desolation Giant, Favor of the Mighty, Jareth, Leonine Titan, Oathsworn Giant, and Thundercloud Shaman all make for interesting choices.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
As it happens, most of the creatures you list started out in the deck but were cut as I attempted to make the deck more consistent. However, I've been rethinking Sun Titan as his only purpose was to return Stinkdrinker Daredevil as they inevitably get killed off.

-2 Sun Titan
+2 Borderland Behemoth

I appreciate the feedback on Giant's Ire. I'm not usually one to play something like that but I felt that the deck lacked reach. However, your suggestions more than deal with the real problem decks I face, so I can make another change there.

-3 Giant's Ire
+3 Aether Flash

Finally, I'm going to break the 60 card limit to add a couple of smaller pieces of equipment. I'm not bothered if I pull something like Swiftfoot Boots as I can hard cast them.

I'll make the edits when I get to work.
One player in particular plays a deck that is largely only counters and mind control.

ALPHA STRIKE THAT BASTARD!!!! Yell

LOL, My other thought was Carpet of FLowers, Autumn's Veil, Xantid Swarm etc. but they're wrong colours!!!
Unfortunately, Overmaster doesn't prevent counter on creatures.... 
Carpet is a beautiful card for MP games, as you're almost always gonna have at least 1 island in play, making almost any card playable much earlier.
In my wifes' enchantment deck, she hardcasted Eldrazi Conscription on turn three a few times thanks to Carpet's.

Any way - since all of your creatures have more than two toughness, I'd get rid of Giants' Ire & Crush Underfoot, and replace them with sweepers like Volcanic Fallout & Pyroclasm.  They'll nail a lot of elves, and Volcanic gets around Counter, buying you time.
I know they're not Giant-theme, but the Giant one's are terrible for MP. 
I'm not a fan of the Boldwyr Heavyweights or the Wandering Graybeard. I would cut those for 4 Taurean Mauler so you have some more to do early. Plus casting the Mauler for just R is pretty nice.

If you group is fairly control heavy I don't know how much those cards will do for you.  I also would consider cutting Elbris for another Brion Stoutarm or Bloodfire Colossus. They help keep keep pressure or work for a board wipe. 

You could also consider just cutting Sun Titan altogether. Right now it only returns one card. With only two titans, by the time you have one you no longer need the Stinkdrinker Daredevils. Inferno Titan is probably better at 3 and then you could add one more Sunhome Enforcer. If you add the Taurean Mauler this is moot. Or you could add Oathsworn Giants to protect your team more and help defend yourself. 

In my R/W Giant deck I have a couple Griffin Guides and Shiv's Embrace to help my team deal with flyers, plus a flying Hamletback Goliath is awesome. I think that may serve your deck better than the equpiment. You can then get rid of the Stonehewer Giant and equipment. They look a bit out of place to me since you have so few equpiment. Plus giants don't really need a boost in power, without trample it isn't doing much. I know you have the Sunrise Sovereign but I still wouldn't go with the equipment route.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Yes, four Stonehewers with only three pieces of equipment to play with is balls.
I understand that you're trying to increase the odds here, but what inevitably happens is that in the late game you'll be wanting to draw an answer to a threat, and you'll draw a Stonehewer with no more equipment to fetch instead (TL;DR: Too many Stonehewers = dead draws in the late game).
Instead, you should be playing Giant Harbinger. It's tutoring for almost every card in your deck. You might be thinking of this card as being a boring 3/4 for five mana - instead think of it as a red Vampiric Tutor that gives you a 3/4 instead of taking your life. ;)
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Following suggestions, the deck now looks like this:

Creatures (27)

Spells (8)
[deck]2* Crush Underfoot
3* Paraselene
3* AEther Flash[/deck]

Lands (25)
[deck]4* Ancient Amphitheater
4* Rugged Prairie
3* Boros Garrison
3* Cavern of Souls
3* Clifftop Retreat
3* Mountain
2* Slayers' Stronghold
2* Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
1* Plains[/deck]

I've dropped a Crush and added three Paraselene to deal with the inevitable mind control effects. Most of the creature changes come as recommended here and seem to improve speed and consistency. A Boros Garrison & Clifftop Retreat have been dropped and the basics shuffled around to fit in 3 Cavern of Souls. This deals with the counter side of the control meta I have. I'm even thinking I could probably drop the single Plains and fit in either another Clifftop Retreat or one more Mountain.

I still haven't really developed a sideboard but I think that can come after I've playtested the deck in the meta and I can see which problems I'm still having.
This looks a lot more solid. My only issue right now is the anti-synergy of having the Paraselene and Aether Flash in the same deck, but this may end up being correct for your group. You may want to consider Thundercloud Shaman as a giant style replacement for Aether Flash. This can help you not wipe your own enchantments. 

Go play some games and let us know how it works. 

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

I misread Thundercloud, I thought it was to a target non-Giant creature. Now this one is much more interesting! Almost like a Mutilate on legs.
So I recreated the deck on MTGO and so far have gone 4-0 against an affinity deck, a cascade deck, a Tempered Steel deck and another that scooped about turn 4 so I'm not actually sure what he was playing.

Paraselene has ended the game on its own in the Classic format by wiping out two Tempered Steels and the cascade enabler. I'm pleased on how this is going in Classic 1v1 so I'll need to set aside time to check things out in MP.
So the biggest problem that I'm finding appears to be artifacts. I'm looking for some removal that can be used to wipe out artifacts. Obviously as I have none, I'm happy to go "destroy all artifacts". So far the best I've seen that fits the bill is Granulate. Anyone know of any better?

Hmm, perhaps a couple of Granulate  with a singleton Meltdown  for late game? 
Shatterstorm trumps Granulate.

Austere Command and Purify can also hit artifacts.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I think Austere Command. Mana hasn't been an issue so far in this deck and the versatility from that card is enormous!

-3 Paraselene
+3 Austere Command

Although I might acquire Purify. Creatures aren't usually the issue and being able to wipe both artifacts and enchantments in the same turn might prove handy.
This is a good change, in my opinion. The Austere Command can hurt enchantments, artifacts,  and weenies. Or sometimes, you just need to DoJ all the creatures. But I really like the ability for this card to hit problems and chump blockers. This card should help deal with the elves and mind control effects. Nice call, krichaiushii. 

Yes, after some playtesting I've come to the conclusion that Command is certainly the way to go. It has resulted in a couple of scoops when control players find their Cliques and artifacts disappearing as they assume I have no answer and tap out.

I find the Cavern throws control players for a loop and they tend to make more reckless plays. In a Standard environment, I could foresee a Cavern-powered Rakdos aggro deck really putting the hurt on those who try and play more control.
I've removed Sunhome and added two Ancient Ziggurats as I've found that against aggro players, landing with more than one colorless producing land can make all the difference.
I would add basics instead of the Ancient Ziggurats while you don't have many cards that don't work with them, they can hurt your when you really need to board wipe on turn 6. Also, having both of them out is a lot of mana that you can't use on your non-creature spells. If you really want the color fixing, boost some of the other non-basics up to 4x. Or find some cheap Battlefield Forges.

I think basics are probably the way to go. Taking damage in the first few turns is something I need to avoid as I'm in danger versus the aggro decks until turn 4 when I get Brior or the Enforcer out to stabilise.
What are the thoughts on replacing Austere Command with the newly spoilered Wear/Tear?

The biggest issues I face are decks with artifacts/enchantments which seems to put the latter firmly in favour. Or perhaps 3 Wear/Tear in place of Crush Underfoot and keep the Austere Command for things like an Elves match?
I would use Fracturing Gust or Serenity, depending on whether you want the life or the early drop.  Serenity can get really slow people down by blowing up their mana ramping artifacts, giving you more time to stabilize with your giants which are generally going to come onto the field later.
Seal of Cleansing or Aura of Silence are probably better than Wear//Tear. You can keep it out to keep away artifacts and enchantments or play it and crack it to kill something.

Also, wow... necromancy. 

I'm not going to create a new thread for a modification to an existing deck, Raz.

Serenity does look good. I'll order up three to replace the Crush Underfoot cards.  I've not yet created a sideboard for this deck so I do need to give some thought to it.  With Brion in the main deck I have been thinking I should put in some Act of Treason effects.
I get not making a new thread, I was just commenting on the amount of time between the thread wrapping up and your casting Necromancy on this thread. 

As for the deck-Act of Treason can be fun, but I think Traitorous Instinct would be better with Brion Stoutarm. Might as well go big there. The power boost can really help smash through and get more damage from the fligh effect. If you want to keep the spell at 3 mana, Mark of Mutiny is better than Act when you have a sac outlet.

Have you teaked the deck since the last decklist?

By the way, I think Austere Command would be better that Wear//Tear almost all the time. If you find the group running less artifacts and enchatnments, and you don't need the periodic partial or entire board wipe-then drop Command. But Austere Command is built for multiplayer, it does so much while giving plenty of room for deck construction. I've often seen it better than Akroma's Vengeance for the caster who wanted to preserve something- and in the occasional team game it can be even better.