Need help Best way to Stream PnP Game both Audio/Video

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm going into uncharted ground here so I could really use some help as a few of my main players have left for different cities to go to college & university but they want to continue to play DnD with us especially with the D7D Next Playtests coming out but we have no idea what the best way to stream it live.

Now we don't really need anything fancy just enough that they can hear the DM (me) and the players.

The video is easy just need a decent webcam than I'll set-up a skype video call...the Logitech C270 HD Webcam only costs 20$ and seems to work quite well from various video reviews I checked out....more than enough to see the players...or in combat the board.

As for the sound I see a few options...which are probably wrong or overly complicated :P

Option 1 - An omni directional microphone handing down from my drop ceiling...WWE style

Option 2 - A Bunch of $5 - $15 stand mics (I'd just wear my Tiamat 2.2 Headset)...not sure how I would consolidate the audio into a single skype call though.

Option 3 - One of those flat looking conference mic things you see in the movies in board rooms...no idea what its called

Any other ideas or assistance were my issues with Option 2/3?
well, skype allows a conference call, so any number of people can participate if they all have a mic and headset or whatever.

Personally I've had real good luck with the Logitech USB headset (I think they probably have a couple models). It should work with anything and the quality of the results is pretty good.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
How much do you care about using actual PnP?

Have you considered one of the virtual table options?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
How much do you care about using actual PnP?

Yeah we'd rather avoid losing that part of it

Have you considered one of the virtual table options?

Yes and no...we discussed it but decided because most of will still be there in person we'd rather run the session live with only the guys from school on the net....if I was wicked rich and didnt care about getting a I'd get the microsoft table thing that also you to use real minis on a virtual map.

I would be interested in any suggestions on what to use because than I could use that to make the same map thats on the table and transmit that to the guys over the net of what the board looks like and where the "pieces" are than have the webcam trained on the "live" group instead of the board.

well, skype allows a conference call, so any number of people can participate if they all have a mic and headset or whatever.

The problem with that is we only have 2 computers right now 1 Laptop and 1 Desktop...if we all (or even most of us) had a computer than this would be much easier
Well, video streaming is easier than ever these days:

www.twitch.tv

There's some hardware requirements to it, but it doesn't have to be all that spectacular, so even bare-bones equipment should do fine.  With video going out and audio going both ways, you should have what you need.
Well, video streaming is easier than ever these days:

www.twitch.tv

There's some hardware requirements to it, but it doesn't have to be all that spectacular, so even bare-bones equipment should do fine.  With video going out and audio going both ways, you should have what you need.

Video of incoming sound is easy with a decent webcam and a decent set of speakers...The main issue is the outgoing audio...HOW do I capture of multiple people (in the same room) on 1 or 2 computers...preferably 1 with out spending too much. I'll most likely be using skype with me and the college guys...the wecam attached to my DM screen and most likely a bunch of $5 stand mics for each in-house player...just need to figure out how to get multiple mics into a single cord to plug into my PC...does that excist? otherwise I'll need to find an omnidirectional mic of some sort to stick in the middle of the table either WWE style (hanging from the ceiling) or one of those office things...which I have no idea what their called.
A sensitive microphone?

I mean, they have them in most conference-room telephones.  It can't be that hard to find one good enough.  Might take a bit of enunciation, but it'd be doable.
A sensitive microphone?

Unfortunately I can't really tell which ones will work best just by looking at them...I was hoping for a few suggestions...prefably with ancedotal evidence before I go to the store tommorow (I'm getting the c270 webcam, some Genius GX 3000 speakers and a mic(s), possibly a power cord for a laptop)...manufacturers sites are useless since the all "the best in the biz" and most youtub reviews are for single person use.

I persoannly think my best best is a microphone (the handheld ones with the silver golfball thing on the end) hanging for my ceiling in the middle will be my best bet...but again I'm probably wrong
Sign In to post comments