reincarnation issues

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Baiscly my friend died and the only way for me to revieve him was to sacrifice myslef, he was suppposed to then get a horse and scarfice that to bring me back, which he did. but we forgot one thing,im a deva whitch get reincarnated when they die, so the ritual did not work and theres no way to bring me back to life. My new form has no memory of my past life and there seems to be no way to get itt back, how do i get back to my adventuring group or come return to my past life. oh and im also on a mountint whitch is where devas recarnate to.
Well, your DM should just start your reincarnated character with the group. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops in order to reunite with the party. Your DM should know to put your character in the vicinity of the others, unless it's related to the storyline. Even so, the sooner you guys are reunited, the better, and your DM should not be throwing obstacles in the way of the party returning to full numbers.

Also, you control your deva, and devas still retain memories of their past lives, if not the entire knowledge of each existence, so you could easily have your deva remember the party members and the sacrifice.

And I must ask - if a horse was supposed to be enough to resurrect you, why would it not have been enough to resurrect your friend? Why was it necessary for your PC to die?
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
because by the time i got a horse for him it was to late to use a non-person object and i had to do it, so that he had time to get a horse to revive me
...because by the time i got a horse for him it was to late to use a non-person object and i had to do it, so that he had time to get a horse to revive me ...
...but we forgot one thing,im a deva whitch get reincarnated when they die, so the ritual did not work and theres no way to bring me back to life. My new form has no memory of my past life and there seems to be no way to get itt back, how do i get back to my adventuring group or come return to my past life. oh and im also on a mountint whitch is where devas recarnate to.

Since you are obviously not using the written rules for returning from the dead, why is the "deva get reincarnated and also on a mountain" even an issue?  If you are going to make up rules for returning from the dead with a horse, why not say "and this time I didn't come back so I could wait until my horse-sacrifice?"  I don't understand the problem here.

Deva "reincarnation."

Devas do not have children. When a deva dies, his or her spirit is reincarnated in a new, adult body that appears in some sacred place, such as a mountain peak, a riverbank, or a desert oasis. The new deva retains enough memory of past lives to speak and understand multiple languages and offer the proper prayers and sacrifices to the gods of good.

Basically, when your Deva dies, it is time for a new character. Your DM could be nice about it and have you come back exactly the same, but there are no real rules for it. Heck, there is nothing that says the reincarnation happens immediately. I've had backstories for Deva where centuries have passed between incarnations.

And now, Raise Dead

To perform the Raise Dead ritual, you must have a part of the corpse of a creature that died no more than 30 days ago. You apply mystic salves, then pray to the gods to restore the dead creature’s life. The subject returns to life as if he or she had taken an extended rest. The subject is freed of any temporary conditions suffered at death, but permanent conditions remain.
The subject returns with a death penalty: –1 to all attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws, and ability checks. This death penalty fades after the subject reaches three milestones.
You can’t restore life to a creature that has been petrified or to a creature that died of old age.
The subject’s soul must be free and willing to return to life. Some magical effects trap the soul and thus prevent Raise Dead from working, and the gods can intervene to prevent a soul from journeying back to the realm of the living.

All this stuff about needing a horse or some other living being to sacrifice is pure bunk. Your DM is making stuff up.

I need to ask, has your character been problematic at the table? Has the DM, or the player for whom you "died," expressed any frustration with your character or the way you have been playing it? This sounds like an elaborate in game set up between the DM and the player to force you to make a new character instead of confronting the issue directly.
Your DM is just making stuff up for a custom game. The only way to get an answer is to ask them.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

He kicked me out of the group, since i "died". the only way back is if i find a solid loop hole and live again...

He kicked me out of the group, since i "died". the only way back is if i find a solid loop hole and live again...

This is a good sign that they killed you as an excuse to get you out of the game. If you find some sort of loop hole to get back in, I'd bet you would be killed off again shortly.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Don't waste your time.  Like Krusk says, they were looking for an excuse to get rid of you.  Tell them off, then go find people to play with who don't suck.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Wow.  What a bunch of jerks.  it seems pretty clear they wanted you out of the group.
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the last few posts. Rather than address you like a mature person would, your DM decided to be a weenie and pull some serious crap. It's pretty clear that your DM didn't want to continue having you in the game, for whatever reason that may be.

If the other players aren't coming to your defense, it's obvious they agree with him, but truth be told, you're better off without them if they aren't even going to be decent enough to actually talk to you out-of-game about how they feel. Go find a group that can actually communicate and doesn't need to pull a fast one to address what's on their minds.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Im pretty sure it was the dm who only wanted me out but ill see if i can find a new group or form my own
Sign In to post comments