Help with White/Red Lifegain/Burn Deck plz :3

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
DECK UPDATED POST 10 (Mono-white lifegain angel/human deck)

1st of all, I just got into this game like 3 days ago but I got the general gist of it I dare to say. Anyway since my cards are obviously very limited due to just starting up, I have made this deck which I find to be effective vs my friend who uses black/green undying/sacrifice all that kinda stuff deck. (Sorry I don't know the lingos :S)

Anyway here is what I have for now, please point out and rectify the deck if you find it absurd or requires tweaking.

Lands x 23

16x Plains
6x Mountain
1x Slayer's Stronghold

Creatures x 15

4x Niblis of the Urn
1x Doomed Traveler
1x Healer of the Pride
1x Serra Angel
1x Sun Titan
1x Requiem Angel
1x Keeper of the Light
2x Suture Priest
1x Hellrider
2x Fiend Hunter

Other Spells x 22

2x Volcanic Geyser
2x Oblivion Ring
4x Pyroclasm
1x Ring of Thune
2x Angel's Mercy
3x Pillar of Flame
4x Searing Spear
2x Burning Oil
1x Brimstone Volley
1x Incinerate

The general idea is to stay alive with my niblis and tap the creatures when I attack for some free hits and try to get the big creatures up, if my opponent gets too many creatures on board I just burn them off and slowly chip off his/her health.

Hope you guys can help me because right now I find this deck extremely slow, I'd like to run Avacyn's scroll but I can't seem to find that many low mana cost angels, I also heard red/white soldier deck is good but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks!

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Try adding Searing Meditation and Lightning Helix

Maybe even Firemane Angel

And some cards with Phyrexian mana too, gotta put use to all that extra life.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Oooh, I like those cards, should I run more mountain in my land pool if I get those? Also I'm looking for mid-tier 3-4 mana creatures which would fit into this deck. 

Also, what are Phyrexian mana... -.-" I'm a noob lol 
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Oooh, I like those cards, should I run more mountain in my land pool if I get those? Also I'm looking for mid-tier 3-4 mana creatures which would fit into this deck. 

Also, what are Phyrexian mana... -.-" I'm a noob lol 

A 60-card deck should have around 24-25 lands in it.

I usually split it 16-8. 16 of one for the majority of the deck color. 8 for the secondary.

If you're using mainly 3-4 mana creatures. Make the other spells really cheap. Since it's life ramp involved, try Whitesun's Passage, and Rest for the Weary

There was a set released before the Innistrad block, Scars of Mirrodin. The last set in the block introduced Phyrexian Mana

It allows you to pay with 1 mana of the color, or with 2 life. Such as Apostle's Blessing for an example.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
well I was thinking of purchasing the Angelic Might intropack to either make all white angel/lifegain deck or switch the angels in for my current white/red deck...

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle...

here's the cards from the intropack

will that work well or not worth it? 
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
good to see another Boros out there.

check it out

Creatures 19
4 Boros Recruit
4 Skyknight Legionnaire
4 Spitemare
4 Balefire Liege
2 Razia, boros archangel
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

Spells 19
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning helix
4 Safe Passage
4 Boros Fury-shield (this can get fun)
3 oblivion ring

Lands 22
4 Boros Garrison
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Rugged Prairie
5 Plains
5 Mountain

And to lead the charge

i know a lot of the cards are old, but it could help give you a good idea. it works AMAZINGLY against my Sis and her mono green Elves. also not bad against her Husband and his Black and Blue Zombies
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/7f93181f0a4ee0953e8ae20da960a876.jpg?v=90000)
yeh I actually have Ajani Vengeant (shiny one even) yet I can't seem to place him anywhere yet. I will go and see what I can do with your deck suggestion and see if my local sellers got these cards.

Boros seem extremely effective against all those mobbing decks...havn't tried it out vs red mob or burn decks yet though...

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
other awsome ones to check out you can find right here

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx&... just click and there ya go

also cleansing beam is awsome. woulda gone in but i only have one. and Banefire can be a pretty good game changer
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/7f93181f0a4ee0953e8ae20da960a876.jpg?v=90000)
Pretty sure I say this every time I notice a RW deck on here, but my favourites to include are Hearthfire Hobgoblin with Scourge of the Nobilis. IMO Scourge should be an auto-include in any deck with RW creatures. Putting one on Gisela and tapping three for for one-hit-win goodness always makes me smile
I've tweaked the deck into this mono-white lifegain angel/human deck...

Lands x24

22 x Plains
2x Seraph Santuary 

Creatures x22

1x Avacyn, Angel of Hope
2x Angel of Glory's Rise
2x Gideon's Lawkeeper
2x Cathedral Sanctifier
2x Emancipation Angel
1x Goldnight Redeemer
2x Seraph of Dawn
4x Fiend Hunter
2x Restoration Angel
4x Elite Vanguard 

Planeswalker x1 

1x Elspeth Tirel

Other Spells x13

4x Oblivion Ring
1x Ring of Thune
4x Rest for the Weary
1x Angel's Tomb
2x Scroll of Avacyn
1x Defy Death

Tested it out vs a mono-green beast and a boros deck, I ended both games with like 30+ life...this is bit of an overkill for casual gaming at my level I think...but I like it :D need to try vs zombie or infest deck...or those lame ass blue make u lose card decks...
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
or those lame ass blue make u lose card decks...

mill decks... my fiance runs that crap lol
yah..i find them extremely lame...

i actually got into this game playing my bf's mtg 2013 game on xbox...and i just steamrolled everyone with that blue mill deck...but that playstyle is so boring...even worse than burns...
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Boring? not hardly.

not in a five way match with her mill deck. her fathers Warriors. her moms Discard/burn. my deck. and her brothers Lockdown deck. that makes for some interesting matches.   oh.. and Liliana makes for a great partner for her.
another tip. if you O-ring your own creature and then Super Burn Everything it leaves you with a creature and everyones life at 1
You could try changing some life stuffs and adding something like Pacifism, Arrest...

I'm playing with my friends using personal rules. We come back playing at Innistrad block.. Then, we only allow M12, Innistrad block, M13 and the upcoming editions. It's forbidden to buy separate cards, only boosters, so we can enjoy by trading and trying to improve our decks.
A friend of mine plays with an angel deck... i'll try to remember all... 4x Serra Angel... 4x Fiend Hunter... 4x Oblivion Ring... 4x Serra Avenger... Defang, Prey Upon, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Ambush Viper, Pacifism, Defang... Is pretty anoying

You should keep the lifegain ideia, but you can change some cards to add some "control". Put 4x lawkeeper... And you might know, Defay Death is awesome, imagine a Serra Angel, 6/6 flying attacking and defending every turn...

another tip. if you O-ring your own creature and then Super Burn Everything it leaves you with a creature and everyones life at 1

Oh I am SO using this
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
woooh would Cloudshift work better?
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
You could try changing some life stuffs and adding something like Pacifism, Arrest...

I'm playing with my friends using personal rules. We come back playing at Innistrad block.. Then, we only allow M12, Innistrad block, M13 and the upcoming editions. It's forbidden to buy separate cards, only boosters, so we can enjoy by trading and trying to improve our decks.
A friend of mine plays with an angel deck... i'll try to remember all... 4x Serra Angel... 4x Fiend Hunter... 4x Oblivion Ring... 4x Serra Avenger... Defang, Prey Upon, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Ambush Viper, Pacifism, Defang... Is pretty anoying

You should keep the lifegain ideia, but you can change some cards to add some "control". Put 4x lawkeeper... And you might know, Defay Death is awesome, imagine a Serra Angel, 6/6 flying attacking and defending every turn...

Only reason i'm using Gideon's lawkeeper is cuz I wish to keep some human starters, however I do have 4x Niblis of the Urn they tap target whenever they attack and are flying...wouldn't they be better? 
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
woooh would Cloudshift work better?

i dont think so. with cloudshift you would need 10 mana and have to do it all on one turn. using oblivion ring u can exile ur creature on one turn, then wait the next turn to roast everything. most people wont see the burn coming and just wonder why ur exiling your own creature. gives them the kind of false hope i enjoy extinguishing in my duels muahahaha. it would work. definately would work. but i think o-ring just works better imo
Oh, ok, it's nice too. I really prefer the lawkeeper 'cause it's a one-drop AND you can keep away a big treat... It's not about just taking away a defender, you can tap creatures with some abilities that put you in trouble. That's for you to decide, I guess you're playing casual so, look at your opponents deck and think: do I need more control or can I be more agressive (taking away lawkeeper and putting nibilis to attack and put pressure) PS: since you have these cards, try out your deck with lawkeeper and then with nibilis, then you'll see which one fit better!
Morning,
 Personally I love boros style dmg/lifegain style decks (ill post my current deck below, though it is naya the concept is exactly wut ur trying to achieve i think), but my advice is always avoid spells that only net u life with little to no other benefit (ie rest for the weary). Life gain by itself is practically pointless unless ur going for a test of endurance / felidar sovereign win, seriously when reveillark and marytr of sands were in standard together i would upwards of 50 life in standard games, and still lose because i lacked a decent when con. But life gain stapled to removal like faith's fetters or a decent body loxodon heirarch/kitchen finks/obstinate baloth and of course lifelinkers are all solid cards.
If you're planning on sticking to ur mono-white build I'd certainly consider finding a playset of martyr of sands as they are humans and ur can constantly recur them by blinking ur angel of glory's rise and gaining crap-tons of life. emeria the sky ruin also belongs in any mono white deck with a high mana curve, and considering ur curve id include some artifact ramp like mindstone marble diamond gilded lotus ect just so u can land those bombs quicker.
If ur reconsidering ur boros style approach for dmg and life gain heres my list maybe u can get some ideas
4 Tamanoa
4 Balefire Liege

3 Naya Charm
4 Naya Hushblade
3 Duergar Hedge-Mage

4 Trace of Abundance
3 Brightflame
2 Rith's Charm
3 Lightning Helix
4 Searing Meditation
3 Ajani Vengeant
4 City of Brass
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Brushland
2 Karplusan Forest
5 Plains
4 Mountain
4 Forest

the general idea here is that everything i play triggers balefire, which in turn triggers tamanao, which lets me gain loads of life while sucking the life out of my opponents. (btw the pain lands also trigger tamanao so it negates the whole "pain" part). Looking at it now the list is a lil dated but i m waiting for boros to show us wut it has for us in gatecrash before i work on improving it.

ok i think ive said enough, good luck

ps- u cant cloudshift ur creature in response to a worldfire to avoid the worldfire. Wut would happen is ur opponent would say "9 mana worldfire" then u say "one mana cloudshift avacyn" ur cloudshift would target and resolve first, which means the avacyn would pop out of the battlefield then  return before worldfire resolves, so she'd shift back onto the battlefield and worldfire would wipe her and everything else out. Now you could turn to mist avacyn, she'd be exiled until ur opponent's end step and then return to a broken, decimated board state wholely unscathed. That being said turn to mist is a terrible card, stick to the o-ring trick, lol  

I have a soft spot in my heart for Sunhome Enforcer if you're looking for a good mid-cost creature.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Sign In to post comments