Slayer & Executioner Weapon

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have made a slayer and wish to equip him with an executioner weaopn.

I am using the D&D Character Builder tool.

When I go to the Marketplace, all Executioner Weapons are red, rather than black. Also, only Simple and Martial weapons are available for shopping. I assume that means Superior weapons in general and Executioner weapons in particular are not legal for a Slayer.

I rummaged around the Feat section to see if I could find one that would let me take Superior weapons, or the Exectutioner weapons. No luck.

Is there a way to legally equip this?

Thank you.
By "executioner weapon", do you mean the execution axe?

If you take the Weapon Proficiency feat, you can select a type of weapon to gain proficiency in, including a type of superior weapon.

Depending on your character, you may qualify for other feats that give you proficiency with the execution axe. For example, Dwarven Weapon Proficiency gives you proficiency with all types of axes (including superior axes like the execution axe).
Superior weapons and implements are, by design, superior to their martial counterparts in some mechanically objective fashion, so no one gets access to them for free.

the notable exception, which may have been what you were referring to as "executioner weapons" are garrotes and blowguns, which are really, really, really bad in 99% of all cases. these violate both standard assumptions of superior weapons by being freely given to executioners, and by being objectively worse than any other two-handed weapons.

In any event, a character can gain proficiency in a specific superior weapon by spending a specific weapon proficiency feat for it, and, like logo mentioned, some races have "catch-all" feats for specific weapon types. 
I hate to have to (still) ask this when someone mentions the builder, but did you create the character by choosing "Custom" followed by "D&D Home Campaign"? If you didn't - and especially if you used "New" - then you'll probably need to start over using Custom/Home Campaign.
I hate to have to (still) ask this when someone mentions the builder, but did you create the character by choosing "Custom" followed by "D&D Home Campaign"? If you didn't - and especially if you used "New" - then you'll probably need to start over using Custom/Home Campaign.

Thank you all for your answers. They led me to the solution well, and Frag the Slayer is now ready for all the fame and fortune that is his due!
Sign In to post comments