Mana

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK I have another question.. the Land cards and creature cards that stat.. *tap and add a swamp or such to your mana pool* do you get to keep the mana or does it only work for that turn and then you have to discard it. and the same with the add one colorless to your pool.. I thought you got to keep them but I am not very sure ... so how does that work?
Mana in the mana pool will empty at the end of each step or phase.  So you need to use it or lose it before that step or phase is over.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Also how does fast effects work? My opposition said as I was murdering one of his creatures *as a fast effect I am dealing the three damage to you before its murdered* Idk exactly how fast effects works and activated abilities all .. Can you use the abilities at any time even if it isnt your turn and the fast effects they cause? sorry I'm such a noob
there are no fast effects
he might be referring to instants, but please use actual card names so we can properly answer the question
proud member of the 2011 community team
Also how does fast effects work? My opposition said as I was murdering one of his creatures *as a fast effect I am dealing the three damage to you before its murdered* Idk exactly how fast effects works and activated abilities all .. Can you use the abilities at any time even if it isnt your turn and the fast effects they cause? sorry I'm such a noob

Fast effects is an obsolete term that hasn't been used in years.  Now we use a system where objects put on the stack resolve last in first and one at a time.  So if a player casts a spell, you have a chance to respond to that spell with an instant or activated ability before that spell resolves. 

What your opponent is talking about is they are using an instant (or ability) to deal 3 damage before the spell, ability or combat damage has a chance to kill his creature. 

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

ok I get it I think... He has been playing for a while and I havent.. sorry I didnt use the actual card names I wasnt looking at my deck..
OK I have another question.. the Land cards and creature cards that stat.. *tap and add a swamp or such to your mana pool* do you get to keep the mana or does it only work for that turn and then you have to discard it. and the same with the add one colorless to your pool.. I thought you got to keep them but I am not very sure ... so how does that work?

No cards let you add anything to your mana pool except for mana. No card exists that says "add a swamp to your mana pool".

You might have a card that lets you put a swamp onto the battlefield, and you can have cards that say they add 1 black mana () to your mana pool.

If you search for a swamp in your library and put it onto the battlefield, then you can use it as normal. If you add 1 black mana to your mana pool (like by tapping a Swamp for mana), then you lose that mana unless you spend it by the end of the current phase or step.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Im haveing the same trouble. Such as Jungle Shrine or Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Treewhen you tap it does it act as a mana or do you tap it and you add one mana from your hand to your mana pool.
Jungle Shrine
this has the same ability as a mountain, a plains, and a forest all-in-one
when you activate it, you choose which colour to get

Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree
this adds colourless mana which can be used to pay for colourless spells or pay the generic portion () of a coloured spell

Evolving Wilds 
this is an example of a card that let's you put land on the field (the previous two do not), but it can't tap for mana

lands are generators of mana* 
mana is the invisible energy generated by lands (and other things) used to cast spells and pay for effects

* (usually, but not always - see Evolving Wilds) 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Im haveing the same trouble. Such as Jungle Shrine or Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Treewhen you tap it does it act as a mana or do you tap it and you add one mana from your hand to your mana pool.

Jungle Shrine
Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree

You add that color of mana to your mana pool, you don't put lands from your hand onto the battlefield.  It's like if you tap a swamp, you don't get to put another swamp onto the battlefield, you are simply adding one to your mana pool.  An example of a card that would put a land onto the battlefield would be arid mesa where it searches the library for a land and puts it onto the battlefield.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Land: a card; a physical object made of cardboard that you can hold in hand.

Mana: imaginary, invisible and untouchable «Magic money» which is imaginarily generated by lands (and other cards) and used to pay spells & stuff.

Mana pool: imaginary pouch holding imaginary Magic Money. 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)