Starting Point For 2-Player D&D

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I want to get into D&D but are having no luck finding more people to create a gaming group with. We've looked around for an already-established group but the closest is over an hour's drive away. We want to try playing with just the two of us (one DM, one player), but don't really know the best place to begin. The Red Box seems to be aimed at larger groups, considering the pre-generated adventure is aimed at a full party and wouldn't be appropriate for a single character. Should we download the quickstart rules, some pre-made characters ro choose from and a third-party solo adventure, and try to get started that way? Or is there a better alternative?

Cheers.
I would recommend buying the Rules Compendium and a 1 month subscription to D&D Insider as the best starter kit. The RC has all the rules you'd need to learn/play the game (and then some) and a DDI subscription gives you access to download the multitude of Dragon and Dungeon magazine (which is worth it on its own) as well as access to the Online Character Builder (create just about any character possible, and it does the math for you!), Monster Builder (view and tweak monsters), and Online Compendium (database with a decent search function); the online tools are handled by a 3rd party company, so there's typos and errors, but it's more than sufficient for someone just starting out.

As far as games, I strongly recommend continuing to look for a group - I believe WotC has a tool to find stores near you that run Encounters and/or Lair Assaults, and you can always advertise at your FLGS, look for public games being run via meetup.com, warhorn.net, and groups.yahoo.com. I would also suggest checking out rptools.net for online play options. D&D really isn't well designed for 2 players.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I would recommend buying the Rules Compendium and a 1 month subscription to D&D Insider as the best starter kit. The RC has all the rules you'd need to learn/play the game (and then some) and a DDI subscription gives you access to download the multitude of Dragon and Dungeon magazine (which is worth it on its own) as well as access to the Online Character Builder (create just about any character possible, and it does the math for you!), Monster Builder (view and tweak monsters), and Online Compendium (database with a decent search function); the online tools are handled by a 3rd party company, so there's typos and errors, but it's more than sufficient for someone just starting out.

As far as games, I strongly recommend continuing to look for a group - I believe WotC has a tool to find stores near you that run Encounters and/or Lair Assaults, and you can always advertise at your FLGS, look for public games being run via meetup.com, warhorn.net, and groups.yahoo.com. I would also suggest checking out rptools.net for online play options. D&D really isn't well designed for 2 players.

Hey Zathris, thanks for your reply.

I have previously researched the Rules Compendium and other Essentials products, but don't feel that they really suit our needs. Granted, the Rules Compendium, Dungeon Master's Kit and Monster Vault do seem to be good next-step products when/if my girlfriend and I get into the game.

I realise that D&D is meant to be a social game played with a full group. Unfortunately, I have already exhausted most, if not all possible avenues of finding more players. The closest D&D group is meeting every Wednesday at the FLGS, however that FLGS is over an hour's drive away and I have other commitments that prevent me making an over 2-hour round trip every Wednesday night, not to mention the time invested actually playing.

I've downloaded the 4th edition quickstart rules and pre-made characters, and I'm currently looking for a free adventure for a single player + DM. Hopefully this will give us a good indication of if we like the game and how it plays with 2 characters, without having to splash any money to start.
My wife and I ran a successful two-person 4e campaign for awhile.  Some suggestions....

• Give your wife some companions, preferably animal companions.  My wife played a bard (leader).  So I statted out her horse as a defender companion, a war dog as a striker companion, and a pixie familiar as a controller companion.  I let her control the companions in battle, while I controlled them as NPC during interactions.

• Another option I developed is Team Player Characters.  This allows one person to play one PC with the abilities of multiple PCs.  Basically a one-man party.

Good luck!

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I want to get into D&D but are having no luck finding more people to create a gaming group with. We've looked around for an already-established group but the closest is over an hour's drive away. We want to try playing with just the two of us (one DM, one player), but don't really know the best place to begin. The Red Box seems to be aimed at larger groups, considering the pre-generated adventure is aimed at a full party and wouldn't be appropriate for a single character. Should we download the quickstart rules, some pre-made characters ro choose from and a third-party solo adventure, and try to get started that way? Or is there a better alternative?

Cheers.

Hi!

I managed to play 2 playeres-D&D 4th and it's definitely entertaining.

Give your wife a LEADER characteer (possibly) and let her play 2/3 companion characters (VERY EASY to run). They give her and you the chance to explore different styles of play for future experiences.

She can even play some Defenders like Paladin, that has access to some healing effects: but in this case, you should be a bit more generous with healing potions or the like.

In this way, building up an "utility" leader, your wife will be able to play a very 3-dimentional character and to manage companions that fill the missing roles (I suggest a Rogue, a Wizard and a melee/cleric companion). 

Another idea is to let her play a Wizard, because it is REALLY useful and flexible in many ways: while she bothers to turn the events in the rigth way, the other character help her in the process. In this case, you shoudl be careful on encounter planning, because too much "soldiers" (high-HP monsters) or "skirmishers" can close the deal pretty quick.

Buy the PHB1 and 2 (1 is enough if you don't want advanced options).
Buy the MONSTER VAULT (cheap for the content, gives you useful tokens for each featured monster) and the DMG 1 and 2 (most important things to get). 

Then, download some free adventures or ask around here for hooks or starting ideas...but with the help of Dungeopn Master Guides you won't find any trouble in creating your own 2-player campaign. 

Cheers.

K_K

I really recommend getting a Subscription to DDi as it contains all the 4e classes with all the powers ever released. It also contains a Monster tool that has tons and tons of monsters(no exageration).

Aside from this I highly recommend that you create characters that have one odd trait to them. For example, a Wizard that always touches someone on the shoulder when they talk to someone; or a Fighter that is afraid of water. The reason for this is that if you intend on roleplaying it can lead to some funny/interesting rp experiences. I also recommend doing this with any npc/pc companions you intend on having.