RDW is baaaaack....

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
The deck is playtesting very well, weak links feel like Crypt-Born Horror and Mogg Flunkies. Still considering Stromkirk Noble and Hellhole Flailer. That said, turn 5 or 6 wins are very consistent. What do you think?

It's my sig in a box! -RP Jesus
Show
I... need a filing cabinet. -Quagmire I think I saw Emrakul in a cartoon with Japanese schoolgirls once. It didn't end well. -Qmark Edit: Couldn't find a cookie, so here's an octopus. Enjoy. -Zigeif777
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
grandma pumps the threat she ramps.
If you believe in Jesus and love him and aren't afraid to admit it, put this in your sig. Jun 30, 2010 -- 1:35AM, S1AL wrote: Playing a bad deck in order to be original is like using crappy tools to build something. Not only does it look bad in the end, but nobody really thinks that you're cool for being unwilling to do things the way a professional would.
Look at the card. Now back to Jace. Now back to that card, now back to Jace! Sadly, it isn't Jace, but if it stopped being a junk rare and became relevant, it could act like it's Jace. Crack some Worldwake. What do you have? You have a Jace, the card you wish this card could be like. Look again. THE CARD IS NOW A $75 BILL. Anything possible when you play Magic with Jace and not junk rares.
I was looking at a similar list, only -lackies, + stromkirk and -black for searing spear.  It seemed like it would be good, but I was hesitant about crypt-born horror.  How has it been working for you?

Edit:  If you stay in black, hellhole flailer might be a card actually, I think it's decent.  Our three drops are pretty lacking at the moment.  Not sure 12 instants and sorceries, even if burn spells, are enough for Guttersnipe.  I'm sure I'm missing something from another set...

Gore-house chainwalker might be better than Lackey for you too. 
Other potential three drops (some are pretty borderline):

crossway vampire - efficiently costed with releveant comes into play ability
kruin outlaw - efficiently costed and if it transforms is insane
erdwal ripper - hasty dude with potential if he starts connection
markov blademaster - I think this is too slow for this deck, but gets out of hand crazy quick
pyreheart wolf - helps push through turn 4 damage, especially with hellrider, on the slow side
fervent cathar - better when top decking than crossway vampire because it's hasty, but smaller. I think it's better.

Also, forgot that if you stay in black, might want to consider crimson muckwader as a two drop.  Also, lightning mauler is a solid two drop too, and I think I would run it over shred freak.
You don't want Muckwader in a primarily red deck. You want it in a primarily black deck (IE 10+ swamps)

And crypt-born horror is really, really dissapointing, unless you only want him to be a 2/2 in most games. 

(at)MrEnglish22

This is the list im going to run

R/b agg
4 vexing devil
4 rakdos cackler
4 ash zealot
4 rakdos shred freak
3 guttersnipe
3 hellhole flailer
2 zealous conscripts

2 dreadbore
3 searing spear
4 pillar of flame
3 bonfire
4 brimstonevolley
I was going to suggest Guttersnipe, but you don't run enough burn spells here... maybe since you have so many creatures, Burn at the Stake? when it comes down in the right deck it's almost always game.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I don't think it is worth splashing black for dreadbore. You're adding $50 of cost to your deck and not making it any better. Searing Spear is better for this kind of deck. 3 damage to a creature in standard is going to kill it with very few exceptions (wolfir silverheart). Same for planeswalkers which you would probably just ignore in an aggro deck. Searing Spear is also instant speed and can damage players. I think dreadbore is very overpriced at the moment and am just trying to save you money. It doesn't seem worth it to me to almost double the price of your deck by adding dragonskull summits, blood crypts, and dreadbore when you can just play mountains and searing spear. 

Other suggestions for your deck. I would probably drop hellrider, brimstone volley, cryptborn horror, and mogg flunkies down to 3 copies each and add in . 4 hellriders seems like 1 too much in a deck with only 21 lands. I usually only use 4 copies of a card if I want to see multiple copies of it in a game or want it in my starting hand. Hellrider doesn't fit either of those criteria. Cryptborn horror and flunkies were your weak links as stated so I don't think you want 4 copies. Brimstone Volley is a great card and I like it a lot. I've played a lot of games in the past with RDW and 4 copies of brimstone volley was too much. 3 copies of it worked great though. Stromkirk noble is still the 1st turn play you want in a red deck. I usually like 10-11 1 mana creatures in RDW to improve the odds of a turn 1 creature. I'm not so sure about cryptborn horror in general. It seems pretty situational to me and also seems horrible when you're in top deck mode. I wish there was a decent 3 drop in red to recommend instead. And searing spear would replace dreadbore if you cut black.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

RDW is not back check out some of G and G/Ws creatures for further details.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Don't run Searing Spear. 3 is not a relevant toughness; 2 and 4 are the main numbers in this meta, which is why Pillar of Flame and Mizzium Mortars exist. 
Don't run Searing Spear. 3 is not a relevant toughness; 2 and 4 are the main numbers in this meta, which is why Pillar of Flame and Mizzium Mortars exist. 

I really don't think 4 is one of the main number in this meta. What creatures with 4 toughness are you killing? Loxodon Smiter, Restoration Angel, and Wolfir Silverheart? Mizzium Mortars won't be killing silverheart, but you could searing spear the most likely soulbond target. Mizzium Mortars can kill Restoration Angel while allowing an exile and return of a creature. Searing Spear can kill that restoration target. Mizzium Mortars is obviously better against loxodon smiter. Instant speed removal seems good against creatures with haste or flash which there are several. 3 toughness creatures that could see play: zealous conscripts, wolfir avenger, sublime archangel, thragtusk, vampire nighthawk, hellrider, olivia voldaren, augur of bolas, bloodline keeper, dungeon geists, fiend hunter,flinthoof boar, stuff from RTR. Or just killing stuff that was damaged that turn. Can always be used against a player also. Plenty of uses for searing spear.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

@Rorix, I'm very aware of G/W power in this meta, only playing Red cuz I'm a poor fella. :P If I had it my way, I'd be playing BWG Junk all day erday.
@re4, Thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna have to pass on the advice about the Brimstone Volleys; with the way my guys start getting blocked T3 or T4, they've been the best card in my deck consistently. I will be testing Hellrider at 3 though and probably dropping Flunkies for 4 Pyrehearts atm.
Also Mizzium Mortars will be in the list now.

Now testing:
-1 Hellrider
-3 Dreadbore
-4 Mogg Flunkies
+4 Pyreheart Wolf
+2 Mizzium Mortars
+2 Searing Spear         
Show
I... need a filing cabinet. -Quagmire I think I saw Emrakul in a cartoon with Japanese schoolgirls once. It didn't end well. -Qmark Edit: Couldn't find a cookie, so here's an octopus. Enjoy. -Zigeif777
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
If you believe in Jesus and love him and aren't afraid to admit it, put this in your sig. Jun 30, 2010 -- 1:35AM, S1AL wrote: Playing a bad deck in order to be original is like using crappy tools to build something. Not only does it look bad in the end, but nobody really thinks that you're cool for being unwilling to do things the way a professional would.
Look at the card. Now back to Jace. Now back to that card, now back to Jace! Sadly, it isn't Jace, but if it stopped being a junk rare and became relevant, it could act like it's Jace. Crack some Worldwake. What do you have? You have a Jace, the card you wish this card could be like. Look again. THE CARD IS NOW A $75 BILL. Anything possible when you play Magic with Jace and not junk rares.

Felt like the lifegain centaur and thragtusk were relevant tonight.  Still pulled out the win with RDW. 
I think RDW could be good because it beats Zombies.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
20 Mountain
2 Hellion Crucible

4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Vexings Devils

4 Gore-House Chailwalker
4 Ash Zealot

2 Hellrider

4 Pillar of Flame

4 Searing Spear

4 Brimstone Volley

4 Thunderous Wrath

SB
1 Hellion Crucible
3 Forge Devil
3 Vandal Blast
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mark of Mutiny
2 Annihilating Fire 
2 Hellrider 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
That's quite a burn suite. Could one of each non-Pillar become 3 Cryptborn? He seems really, really good with Vexing Devils. Turn 4 Devil with 3 mana open is just mean.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I play 22 lands.  I almost never have a 4th land on turn 4.

I like that list.  If I was on a strict budget, I'd play that.

I won earlier while I was testing on a mulligan to three.

Three! 
Show
20 Mountain
2 Hellion Crucible

4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Vexings Devils

4 Gore-House Chailwalker
4 Ash Zealot

2 Hellrider

4 Pillar of Flame

4 Searing Spear

4 Brimstone Volley

4 Thunderous Wrath

SB
1 Hellion Crucible
3 Forge Devil
3 Vandal Blast
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Mark of Mutiny
2 Annihilating Fire 
2 Hellrider 

I like your spirit, but I just can't sleep at night with the thought of 4 thunderous wrath in the deck. what would you think of swapping 2 for a hellrider and a mountain? Also how's the rat deck coming?
@SereneChaos: Cryptborn horror is terrible. Worst card in the deck. I put him in for the exact shenanigans you described, but against RDW, most opponents are just gonna let him resolve on T4 cuz they can outclass all your stuff by then.
-4 Cryptborn Horror
+4 Hellhole Flailer
also added 4 summit and 2 blood crypt to the mana base.   
Show
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
Try it with the Wrath before you mess around with it ;)
Show
alright, sounds good
Show
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
Then somebody drops down a Worldfire and everything becomes very interesting. Eh, who am i kidding, this deck should have hopefully won before then, if not then that's too sad.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.

Stop messing around with bad deck please. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
+2 Thundermaw Hellkite?

you drop a turn 5 hellkite in this deck and it should be game..

Worry only about the current. Think about the rest. And you wont have to worry.

Please excuse my noobness but is there a reason why RDW does not run
Dangerous Wager?
You know I was thinking of doing something simular to this deck.....but my version splashed more to black.

I could be persuaded to run a brimstone volly, but I doubt Id like thunderous wrath
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
Vexing Devil seems to be a bit of a wasted card. Its almost always going to be just 4 damage, unless either you have effectively already won the game or the enemy deck is control and has already stabalised so can deal with it. Sure there are not other 1 drops that could be used to replace it? Edit: yep, put cacklers in instead of it.
I've been messing around with something similar, but my card choices are a bit different.

4x Vexing Devil
4x Ash Zealot
4x Hellhole Flailer
2x Archwing Dragon
2x Zealous Conscripts

2x Rakdos Keyrune

2x Wild Guess
4x Dreadbore
4x Brimstone Volley
2x Slaughter Games
4x Thunderous Wrath

That leaves 2 more cards with 24 lands.  I'm trying to decide between either Pillar of Flame or Killing wave.

Just some notes - The point here is to throw as many haymakers as possible.  Devil and a shockland will bring your opponent to 14, which goes to 9 if you can get off a thunderous wrath miracle.  From there it's usually not too hard to top-deck something that will burn off the rest.

I like Archwing Dragon over aristocrat because it dodges sorcery speed removal of all types, including sweepers.  Keyrune can do something similar while also providing some ramp for the more expensive spells.  I'm a fan of slaughter games, and I think it will help keep the deck from getting blown out by things it can't deal with, like Sigarda, host of Herons.

I'm not sure about killing wave.  On one hand, the deck has enough front-loaded burst that it can serve as a late-game sweeper when you need it to - being at 9 and having to spend three life to keep each of two or three creatures alive won't be an appealing choice.  On the other hand, the card underperforms against decks that only run 1-2 theats at a time, and zombies doesn't care unless you're also running graveyard hate or have an ash zealot out.

Oh Kedi, I have missed you.
Show
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:

Oh Kedi, I have missed you.

<3

I love a good curve and one drops and burn to dome, but I really can't see it happening in a format with both Thragtusk and a dash of Centaur Healer to add insult to injury. 

The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Bump
Show
I have forsaken RDW for U/W flyer aggro atm, sorry guys.
Show
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
RDW is really just bad zombies :/ maybe try big red if that's your color of the month? Some goodies to be had.