Infect

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering how infect works. I played a 4/2 card with infect and my oposition played a 2/4 creature to block. and said my creature would die as well I didnt think it would die cause the infect gave him the -1/-1 counters so could I get some clarification on exactly how infect works
I was wondering how infect works. I played a 4/2 card with infect and my oposition played a 2/4 creature to block. and said my creature would die as well I didnt think it would die cause the infect gave him the -1/-1 counters so could I get some clarification on exactly how infect works

Assuming no First/Double strike...

All combat damage is dealt at the same time.  His creature deals two damage at the same time your creature deals 4 damage that turns into -1/-1 counters.  Your creature is destroyed due to lethal damage and his goes to the graveyard for having 0 toughness.

All damage is assigned simultaneously, infect doesn't change that.  Thier 2/4 will assign 2 damage at the same time you assign 4 damage.  If you had some what to deal damage first (first/double strike) your creature would survive.
so could I get some clarification on exactly how infect works

infect is a static abilty that modifies how damage is dealt from sources that have it

creatures damaged by a source with infect get -1/-1 counters placed on them (instead of having damage marked on them)
players damaged by a source with infect get poison counters (instead of losing life)
planeswalkers damaged by a source with infect lose loyalty counters (same as normal)

the damage done during combat damage steps from the turn based action is dealt simultaneously and the effects occur simultaneously

therefore his 2/4 hits your 4/2 and marks 2 damage on it and your 4/2 hits his 2/4 and puts four -1/-1 counters on it

moments later state based actions see his creature is a -2/0 and send it to his graveyard, but at the same time they also see your lethally damaged 4/2 with 2 marked damage on it and destroy it

things would be different if your infect creature had first or double strike and his 2/4 didn't because your creature would hit in the first damage step and send his creature to the yard and his creature wouldn't hit back in the second damage step

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

A lot of people seem to have the misconception that Infect somehow affects creatures blocking or blocked by an Infect creature before they deal damage. But nothing about Infect changes when damage is dealt - it just changes exactly what the damage does. A 4/2 with Infect blocked by a 2/4 will die (but take the blocker with it), for the exact same reason this would happen if it didn't have Infect; the damage is simultaneous in either case.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thanks everyone for clearing that up. I haven't been playing to long and I have alot of questions...