Parkour flavoured character?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm starting a new campain where I am an only PC closely followed by two unknown NPCs (DM says he will create them to act in concert with my character so I dont have to worry about role coverage and survival issues) its a low level campaing and I had an idea of playing a character who relies especialy on movement and uses his environment alot (urban environment that is..). Im open to any suggestions and whenever you guys get an idea of a suitable class or build let me know and give me the source of the class or build

thnx in advance, I look forward to seeing your ideas
My first instinct is the Monk ... the movement techniques can give you a crazy amount of mobility.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Assassin could be good as well.  They seem almost to be made for solo campaigns, and Ghost of the Rooftops lets you parkour all you want without the danger of rolling a 1 and faceplanting.

The thief also mas several at-will movement powers.

Monk is the only thing that would even be able to come close on an at-will basis, at least with any crunch to back up the flavor. It's the only class where all of their powers come with an interesting movement ability.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Getting a fully-fledged climb speed somehow is an interesting parkour style option.  If you have an actual climb speed (as opposed to just making Climbing checks), you can move vertically on walls as freely as you move horizontally on floors.  This includes shifting, charging, et cetera.  You no longer grant combat advantage while climbing.  You also ignore difficult terrain while climbing.  This is very parkour-like, particularly when you "wall walk" by climbing sideways along a wall.

The lowest level option for climb speed is Bracers of Brachiation at level 5.  Those unfortunately compete for your arms slot, which you probably want Iron Armbands of Power for.  But there are also the Gauntlets of Swimming and Climbing at level 10, which occupy the somewhat less optimization-important hands slot.  Both those options only give you a climb speed of half your full speed, so you would be able to spend a maximum of half your squares of movement climbing.  The other squares of movement could still be used to move in other modes.

Race can also be an attractive option.  The Thri-kreen racial ability of making jumps without a running start allows for impressive leaps via Athletics checks, and you also may choose the level 2 racial utility power which is an encounter move action to jump your speed without provoking opportunity attacks (so it's effectively an encounter power shift 7, which additionally would not trigger enemy powers that would activate on a "real" shift).  Incidentally, there is also a racial paragon path for thri-kreen which grants a natural climb speed as a level 11 feature.  Additionally, you get a non-provoking free action Athletics check to jump when you spend an action point, and the level 12 PP utility is a MINOR action encounter power that lets you make a non-provoking Athletics check to jump as well.  So it would be hugely flavorful for a parkour wall-crawling, battlefield-jumping insect warrior.  But it would be far from optimal by pure CharOp standards.
Pixie Desert Wind Monk Shenanigans, Go! You can pretend to be the 2 NPC's fairy godmother with a fiery streak. With a good stealth check, they hardly notice that you're there doing all the heavy lifting. Plus: Why climb when you can fly.
Pixie Desert Wind Monk Shenanigans, Go! You can pretend to be the 2 NPC's fairy godmother with a fiery streak. With a good stealth check, they hardly notice that you're there doing all the heavy lifting. Plus: Why climb when you can fly.

Because it isn't the stated theme of TC?

To be frank, I find the idea of wallrunning via a climb speed to be a lot more interesting to see optimization options of (and a lot more interesting in general) than the absurdly common pixie crap that's been beaten to death at this point.  O_o 
Well if you want to do it with just skill, cranking athletics and taking sure climber and long jumper feats will basically cover it as anything with jumping and climbing at full speed. But for powers and style, monk or assassin as previously mentioned would do well.

Now actually getting an attack/damage benefit from being able to jump and climb...that would be the challenge. If there were some feat/feature/power where you got a bonus if you were jumping down on an enemy or something like that...
There's that assassin(ninja) at-will that grants you combat advantage if you jumped/flew to the target.
Ninja-To Rush, does limit you to a short sword for a weapon though.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Might consider Warlock/hexblade. Lots of teleportation, which can be refluffed to be amazing flips and gravity-defying leaps.
I dont mind having the shortsword as a weapon because of the assassin's attack finess or weapon finess I dont remember). And the reason I didnt go for assassin (ninja, executioner or whichever) is because I already played an assassin and I got tired of always having to find a hiding spot to be effective :/
monk does seem pretty logical and I had this idea of playing a centered breath monkey hengeyokai monk but I want to see all the possibilities before I make a final decision.
Executioner definitely doesn't need hiding to be effective.  It's nice to have, certainly, but not needed.
where can I find the Bracers of Brachiation? im interrested
and how would you use an executioner as efficiently as if I had a hiding spot?
and how would you use an executioner as efficiently as if I had a hiding spot?

Executioner's don't get any special benefit from hiding...except on a few less then spectacular powers. If you go with the ninja option there is no reason to hide.
where can I find the Bracers of Brachiation? im interrested

They were published in Dragon Magazine 378.
I'll second (third? fourth?) the idea of going for a monk. My current character is a free-running street rat and monk is the perfect class.
The second level utility Swift Flight is a great power that lets you perform any crazy parkour move you want, as long as it can be mechanically achieved by flying 10 or so squares.
In terms of items, wallwalkers are an excellent one for wall-running once you're a bit higher level.
Barbarian U22 Limitless Advance is basically the Parkour skill.

At-will climb and swim full speed, reduce fall damage, jump speed.  No athletics checks needed.

I'd go Barbarian|Rogue and focus on acrobatic powers and defensive utilities.  Limitless Advance just makes you super super mobile.

Probably go Elf or bug man.
Limitless Advance is interesting, but, ironically, limited.

It doesn't give you the ability to shift for any of those movement modes.

You can't combo it with any other movement powers (such as some power to let you shift more than 1 square).

You can't charge with it.

Having an actual climb/jump/swim/etc movement mode baked in, rather than as part of the Limitless Advance movement power, lets you do all those things.
It definitely isn't the greatest combat skill in the game but it does allow amazing mobility around complicated battlefields.  Usefulness of this will vary with the DM.

If you've got a DM that likes to drop a single solo in the center of an empty room, well its useless and people can execute their turn 1 char op nova things.

If the fight with the BBEG takes place in a room that looks like a Mario level and you need some kind of badass mobility to keep up with the evil guy, this is a good way of doing it assuming you can't teleport or fly at-will.

Jump 6, no check every round is kinda nice in Mario Land.  Fast swimming is nice when the DM suddenly fills the room with water by opening a portal to some elemental plane of water and releases sharks...

During typical play its not useful but neither is a parkour flavoured character.  It fits what he's looking for perfectly.  At-Will climb, jump, swim and safety from falling off stuff.
Rogue + Acrobat's/Escape Artist's Trick = me bouncing off the walls charging at every opportunity....
If you can't jump 6 squares essentially at will by level 22 on a barb, you've done something wrong.  The lowest you can possibly get is something like a 25 using no resources on it.
Not to mention Ghost of the Rooftops does the same thing (minus the swimming and feather fall) 14 levels earlier.
Not to mention Ghost of the Rooftops does the same thing (minus the swimming and feather fall) 14 levels earlier.

The downside of this of course is that you wasted some part of your resources on being an Assassin.
Assassins can actually be quite good in a solo campaign, which the OP is talking about.  They were practically built for that kind of game.  Other classes can probably still surpass it, but the gap is nothing like it is in party play.

The downside of this of course is that you wasted some part of your resources on being an Assassin.

Not that big a waste if you're intelligent enough to use the more recent version instead of the one the devs seem to insist is fine~ Tongue Out
Assassins can actually be quite good in a solo campaign, which the OP is talking about.  They were practically built for that kind of game.  Other classes can probably still surpass it, but the gap is nothing like it is in party play.

Fair enough.

I guess I was envisioning a str/dex Barbarian|Rogue mc Fighter /w Barbarian Armoured Agility and Riposte Strike.

Rocking a rapier and having Hurricane of Blades and Storm of Blades in addition to the usual rogue tricks.
Thinking about this further, in a solo campaign, a Riposte Strike rogue is amazing.

There is no one else to attack so he'll always trigger his Riposte.

This would free a Riposter up from investing heavily in the combo and instead all him to focus on other fun things.