Karn, Liberated

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a couple of questions about this planeswalker...

1) When I use its +4 ability to exile a card from opponent's hand, am I able to take a look at the exiled card? My guess is no... but I've seen people exile cards with fiend hunter or O-ring, forget the card that was exiled, and then peek at the exiled card.

2) If the exiled card was an instant or sorcery, does Karn's ultimate allow those spells to resolve? For instance, start the new game with an exiled ponder.

I have a couple of questions about this planeswalker...

1) When I use its +4 ability to exile a card from opponent's hand, am I able to take a look at the exiled card? My guess is no... but I've seen people exile cards with fiend hunter or O-ring, forget the card that was exiled, and then peek at the exiled card.

Unless the card says otherwise, exiled cards are face up and all players can see it.  Karn does not say otherwise, so the card will be exiled face up.

2) If the exiled card was an instant or sorcery, does Karn's ultimate allow those spells to resolve? For instance, start the new game with an exiled ponder.

An instant or sorcery is not a permanent card, so those will get shuffled into the library when the game restarts.  Only non-aura permaments stay exiled and are then moved to the battlefield in the restarted game.

1. When the +4 ability resolves, the targeted player chooses a card and exiles it (note that this is different than "you" exiling a card, because your opponent chooses, not you). Cards that are exiled are face-up unless the effect that exiles them specifies otherwise. This means that anyone can look at the card at any time. This is the same as Oblivion Ring and Fiend Hunter.

2. No. Instant and Sorcery cards can never be permanents (they can never be on the battlefield), and Karn Liberated's -14 ability doesn't say anything about casting them. Note also that even permanents he has exiled are not cast. They are placed directly on the battlefield, and do not resolve at any time.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
[C]Karn Liberated[/C]

1) Yes. Exiled cards are face up unless otherwise specified, and exile is a public zone.

2) They can't resolve if you don't cast them first, and nothing allows you to cast them. (They'll end up shuffled in your library from "restart the game" since they're not non-aura permanent cards.)
1) Unless otherwise noted by the effect, the card goes to exile face up and everyone may examine it. Because exile is a public zone.

2) No, you start the restarted game with every non-aura permanent card exiled by Karn Liberated, that can be put on the battlefield. Instants and sorceries are not permanent cards.