[Abilities] Necromancy and Saviour

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
As some of you may remember, I came up with the abilities Necromancy and Saviour a while ago.  However, I can't quite remember how they worked back then.  Thus, I may have changed them some. I'll get a card with Necromancy, which has two possible versions, up when I have one ready.

Necromancy N--{Cost} ({T}: Return target creature card with a converted mana cost of N or less from your graveyard to play. becomes a black and red Graveborn and gains "{Cost}: Regenerate this creature" as long as you control a creature with necromacy. This creature doesn’t untap during your next untap step.)
Card
Necromancer's Desciple {2BB}
Creature -- Human Wizard {C}
Necromancy 3--{B}
3/2
Changes by currency
4. redid the ability again.
Second ability
Necromancy N--{Cost} ({T}: Return target creature card with a converted mana cost of N or less from your graveyard to play. It is a black and red Graveborn with "{Cost}: Regenerate this creature" in addition to its othe abilities. This creature doesn’t untap during your next untap step.)
3. completely redid Necromancy and removed the first version of Necromancer's Desciple
Original abilities
Necromancy N ({T}: The next time target non-Skeleton, non-Zombie creature with a converted mana cost of N or less would leave the battlefield thus turn, instead tap it and remove it from combat if it attacked or blocked this turn. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types. This creature doesn’t untap during your next untap step.), and
Necromancy N--{Cost} (Cost}, {T}: The next time target non-Skeleton, non-Zombie creature with a converted mana cost of N or less would leave the battlefield thus turn, instead tap it and remove it from combat if it attacked or blocked this turn. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types. This creature doesn’t untap during your next untap step.)
Card
Necromancer's Desciple {2BB}
Creature -- Human Wizard {C}
Necromancy 3
3/2
2. Added Necromancer's Deciple
1. Necromancy now targets non-Skeleton, non-Zombie creatures.

Saviour N--{Cost} ({Cost}, {T}: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to target creature you control with a converted mana cost of N or less this turn and put an Asgard counter on this.)
Card
Nikita, Adarkar Ascendant {2W}
Legendary Snow Creature -- Angel {M}
Flying
Saviour 2--{2W}
At the beginning of each upkeep, if there are five or more Asgard counters on Nikita, Adarkar Ascendant, you may remove all Asgard counters from and transform it.
[6/7>
2/3
///
Nikita, Adarkar Queen
[W] Legendary Snow Creature -- Angel {M}
Flying
Saviour 5--{4WW}
As long as there are three or more Asgard counters on Nikita, Adarkar Queen, it is indestructible.
6/7
Changes by currency
1. redid the ability
Original ability
Saviour N--{Cost} ({Cost}, {T}: The next time target creature with a converted mana cost of N or less would die this turn, exile it and put a slain counter on it instead and then put an Asgard counter on this creature. Creatures cards with slain counters on them have "{4}, remove a slain counter from this card: Cast this without paying its mana cost.")

• Is Necromancy's cost redundant at all because of the restriction on untappig?

• Should I make the creature revived with necromancy, simply, a black Zombie to avoid nonsensical combinations ike Zombie Skeleton?

• Should I put some sort of counter on the creature revived with Necromancy?

• Is there a way make Saviour, at least, a little more elegant without making major changes to its functionality?

• Other thoughts are welcome.

Saviour seems a bit inelegant.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Was Necromancy intended to put already stitched together zombies together again in an infinite loop of zombie zombification?  I guess it seems slightly aesthetically odd that a zombie would be zombified.  Perhaps necromancy should only be allowed to target a non-zombie?
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Cisnero, I one-upped you by excluding Skeletons as well. 
These both seem way too complex and specific to be keyword mechanics.  They're very flavorful, but with so many variables and so many steps to make them happen you really limit how they can be used.  They accomplish a very very narrow function, which means that other than small variations like changing costs or adding simple keywords, the amount of design space is pretty low.  Compare to something like Bloodthirst, which functions much differently on small, efficient creatures, creatures with evasion or combat abilities such as first strike, or on giant bombs like Furyborn Hellkite.  But Necromancy is always going to do basically the same thing no matter what sort of body it's attached to.

Also, these abilities both seem very similar.  They take a creature that's about to die, and then bring it back to the battlefield in an elaborate way.  Why not just blend them together into one keyword with a more flavor-neutral name?

Either way though, I think you need to take the opposite route of what you're doing now by adding flavorful restrictions and twists.  Simplify them down to the basics.  Although really, Necromancy seems like it's just Regenerate with a lot of downsides and restrictions.  You could simply say ": Regenerate target non-Zombie creature. It becomes a Zombie in addition to its other types" and spare all the finicky add-ons.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I could be wrong here, but I don't think regenning something can replace a sacrifice since the former, specifically, states "...be detroyed...".  Necromancy, however, lets you revive a sacced creature.
Either way though, I think you need to take the opposite route of what you're doing now by adding flavorful restrictions and twists.  Simplify them down to the basics.  Although really, Necromancy seems like it's just Regenerate with a lot of downsides and restrictions.  You could simply say ": Regenerate target non-Zombie creature. It becomes a Zombie in addition to its other types" and spare all the finicky add-ons.

Hey, I heard you like keywords, so I put keywords in your keywords so you can keyword while you keyword!
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Redid Necromancy
Here is my brush up on Necromancy. A hyperdash can be created by using the command Alt+0151.

Necromancy N—{Cost} ({T}: Return target creature card with a converted mana cost of N or less from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. It becomes a black and red Graveborn and gains "{Cost}: Regenerate this creature". That creature and this one don’t untap during your next untap step.)

Here is my brush up on Saviour. You can move the creature from the graveyard to exile with the counter, it's just unnessary wording to say "if it would die, exile it instead". Can you tell what's the purpose of the Savior gaining the Asgard counter? The ability doesn't utilize it at all.

Saviour N—{Cost} ({Cost}, {T}: The next time target creature with a converted mana cost of N or less dies this turn, exile it with a slain counter, then put an Asgard counter on this creature. Slain creature cards have "{4}, remove a slain counter from this card: Cast this card without paying its mana cost.")

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

I know about te em-dash GM, but I use the double hyphen because the laptop I use in Colorado refuses to let me make em-dashes.  Therefor, it would be easy to tell where I created something if I used em-dashes.
So what's the purpose of the Asgard counter?

They are similar to level counters but only offer one possible benefit once the card has at least a certain number of the counters on it.
Necromancy N--{Cost} ({T}: Return target creature card with a converted mana cost of N or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.)

Lets just keep it simple, there is no need for most of the rest.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
There will be some cards that care about the number of Graveborns in various zones.  Thus, it would be nonsensical if I kept Graveborn token-exclusive.

Example card:
Rotting Graveborn {1B/R}
Creature -- Graveborn {C}
 Decompose X, where X is the number of other Graveborn creatures you control (This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of other Graveborn creatures you control. Whenever another Graveborn creature you control leaves the battlefield, remove a +1/+1 counter from this.)
Intimidate
1/0 
Here is my brush-up on Decompose. Since the ability can't define specific values, there is no reason for it to have a number modifier, or use the wording composition of "X of, where X is equal to". The number of counters is static and always dependent on the number of Graveborn creatures you control. There is also no reason to state "another Graveborn creature" because the counters won't carry over on this one if it leaves the battlefield, and you won't be able to remove counters from this while it's not on the battlefield (in the case of a Momentary Blink effect). Yet if this have some other significance I'm not aware of, you can simple add it back, I apologize.

Decompose (This creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counters on it for each other Graveborn creature you control. Whenever a Graveborn creature you control leaves the battlefield, remove a +1/+1 counter from this.)

So:
Necromancy N--{Cost} ({T}: Return target creature card with converted mana cost N or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. That creature is graveborn in addition to it's other types.)

How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
The name decompose doesn't match the ability by the way. If you were meaning the event of decomposing something in-order to consume it, that's called absorption. Decomposing is a negative operation, there is no upside to it. All the upsides resulting in relativity to decomposing are due to absorption.

Theiss, the idea, especially with cards like this, is to keep the necroed graveborns in play.  Thus, I won't be going back to anything similar to the originals.

As for decompose, it's an updated version of an existing ability.  Here's the default ability:

Decompose N (This creature enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever it attacks, blocks, or fights another creature, remove a +1/+1 counter from it at the beginning of the next end step.)

Which existing ability does that look like to you?