YMTC Idol 10: Round 9

64 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMTCIdol10logo.jpg)

Welcome to the 10th installment of YMTC Idol!

YMTC Idol has come to be one of the longest running contests on these forums, and I'm happy to help usher it into its 10th year of challenging creative minds to etch their names into YMTC history.

The previous year saw thirty contestants enter the fray; in the end, Mown was left victorious. Thirty-nine hopefuls came to this year's call, but only twenty-four made it through the auditions, with four falling in the round thereafter. The second round claimed four more victims, followed by another three. Three more lost their way, and two by two by two they then did fall. Single elimination brings us down to three! Should you wish to reach glory, you must face the challenges set forth by my magnanimous panel. Your judges this year are...

[color=brown]Mown[/color], the winner of YMTC Idol 9!...
Kavu_Overlord, the winner of YMTC Idol 8!...
And your host, Rush_Clasic, the winner of... um... erm... your hearts and affections!

Contestants
Detektor
Imidazoline
razorborne

[color=purple]Round 9 Criteria[/color]:
And then there were none... I mean three. (Too much Agatha Christie of late.) A lot of interesting designs come in threes. The game usually produces cycles horizontally across the colors, but the rarities have been used as an equal format for connected designs. The fun of this round will be doing both.

Assignment:
Design a vertical cycle (that is, one common, one uncommon, one rare). Each card in this cycle should be a single color, but each part of the cycle should be a different color. Your overall design will be showing the evolution of an idea (whatever idea you choose, no card-type restrictions) from one color to another to the next, while simultaneously creeping up in rarity. Your theme can be whatever you choose, as long as we can see how it grows.

Three cards, three mono-colors, three rarities, one good idea!

You have seven days to submit your card. One contestant will be eliminated this round. If the judges don't all nominate the same contestant, a public vote will be held.

Good luck!
Three is also the number of sets in a block.
You missed out on a great opportunity there.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Don't worry! Two is the number of contestants for the final round. It's also the number of months I'll allow them to create their own spin-offs of MTG.
If that were the case you may as well hand it to Detektor right now.

I guess colourless isn't a colour
Student's Scroll -  
Artifact {C}
Sacrifice Student's Scroll: Add to your mana pool. 
The use of scrolls at the academy is two-fold - the teaching of basic artisan skills; and allowing the students to access workable power without overwhelming their tiny brains.

Cut
Break Cover |
Instant {C}
Return target permanent you control to your hand. Add one mana of any color that permanent is to your mana pool.
Sometimes you just have to get out with what you have.

Crystallise Mana |
Enchantment {C}
Sacrifice Crystallise Mana: Add to your mana pool.
The practice of mana crystallisation is used by Masters to teach students the handling of power before tapping the potentially wild flows of more reliable sources.

I like the card but it's not tight enough with the others
Ravage |
Sorcery {U}
Destroy target land and add to your mana pool. If that land was non-basic, add an additional to your mana pool.
"This city is like an apple in the hands of a ravenous troll. It requires care to ensure the seeds are planted, and not consumed." - Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Unravel |
Instant {C}
Destroy target enchantment. Add two mana in any combination of colors that enchantment is to your mana pool.
"The shamans forget that their gildings are mana constructs like any other. Show them it's to better use it."

Fanatical Preacher |
Creature - Viashino Cleric {U}
Haste
Sacrifice Fanatical Preacher: Fanatical Preacher deals 2 damage to each blocking creature.
When Fanatical Preacher dies, add to your mana pool.
He gladly is the match that looses the Glory of creation.
2/2

Soulsnare Shaman |
Creature - Elf Shaman {R}
, Sacrifice a creature: Add the sacrificed creature's mana cost to your mana pool. (Mana cost includes color).
"The eyes certainly are the window to the soul, but for a really good look I find it best to get them out of the way."

2/2 

Flavour in progress acceptable but subject to change.

Pretty sure it's clear enough how that evolves.
to clarify:

there's four rarities. do you want us to just ignore mythics?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
@Imi: I suppose I should clarify and say that you can't use colorless as one of your chosen colors.

@raz: Mythic rare is ignored. If it wanted to be its own rarity, it would be called "mythic" instead of "mythic rare".
@Imi: I suppose I should clarify and say that you can't use colorless as one of your chosen colors.

Mokay.

I did actually mean to ask that question, but got caught up.

Imidazoline Injection
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon [C]
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all numbers with 2 until end of turn. (This effect doesn't affect mana costs, power or toughness.)
"The patient's blood pressure appears to be completely stable, sir."

Razor-borne Infection
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon [u]
Change the text of target creature by replacing all instances of that card's name with "each creature". (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"This is an unacceptable breach of hygiene. Not only did you lose the patient, you spread his sepsis to Fiefward Three!"

Detector Inspection 
Tribal Instant - Chirurgeon [R]
Change the text of target artifact by replacing all instances of instances of "Sacrifice" with "Tap", all instances of  with , or all instances of mana costs with . (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"Our scans have revealed a beeble-shaped tumour in the left hemisphere. Either an immediate operation is necessary, or something is terribly wrong with the apparatus."
"The patient's blood pressure appears to be completely stable, sir."

Nice.

Also, as if Recoup is already a card name.

Round closed. razor loses.

2 more days, y'all!
oh yeah.

this.

it'll get... done?

okay fine I'll do it.

so.

cycle.

we need a nucleus idea first. what'll be the basis? it's easier to start on the ends, so either the rare or the common comes first, then the uncommon can bridge the gap. the question is, what can three colors do? how can I justify leaving out the other two? I could hate on them. but that's snoozeville. only three colors can destroy artifacts. WOOH. no. the penultimate round of Idol is not the time to break out my shatter cycle.

well. I don't have anything. time to flip through random cards for inspiration.

damn it, I'm getting all these nice simple ideas that would be totally functional and printable but are not YMtC Idol Round 9 material.

and then there's the cool idea for a cycle that would work except two of them need to be the same color and none of them can be common I HATE THIS RUSH I HATE YOU

no wait I can make it work!

Wingform Merchant-
Creature-Human Wizard (C)
When Wingform Merchant enters the battlefield, target creature you control becomes a 2/2 Bird with Flying until end of turn.
"How lost we must be to believe we can sell the sky."~Corrawon, High Arbiter
1/1

Mammothcrafter-
Creature-Human Shaman (U)
When Mammothcrafter enters the battlefield, each creature you control becomes a 3/3 Elephant with Trample until end of turn.
The Festival of Elephes is a joyous occassion. The day after is a disaster.
2/2

Shieldblessed Archangel-
Creature-Angel (R)
Flying, Lifelink
When Shieldblessed Archangel enters the battlefield, target creature you control becomes a 4/4 Angel with Flying and Lifelink. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"Do not think of what you once were. You serve a greater purpose now. Make them remember you."
4/4

okay now to ramble until flavor text hits me.

so the basic idea is obvi. hopefully I don't have to explain it. but let's talk about the individual cards. Merchant is the simplest execution, and it's a blue keldon champion. but it totally works! sometimes it'll pump a thing, yeah, sometimes it'll shrink it to get it by. whatever, man. BUT. I'm not sure if I should put this in reminder text, but rulings on battlegate mimic indicate that this does not cause it to lose abilities. got a scroll thief that needs to get in there, thieving magpie style? Wingform Merchant's got your back! for a turn, anyway. I costed him at 1 because hey it's all good man don't even worry about it. seriously though I love 1-drops that suck turn one (UNLESS YOU HAVE CHANCELLOR OF THE FORGE[/C] OH MY GOD COMBO) and really there's not much harm in costing him there, so why not?to be honest, I could easily envision this as a square cycle, where the first level makes one dude the small thing, and then the second makes them all. mammothcrafter is the example here, in that he comes into play and BOOM EVERYONE'S ELEPHANTS FOR A SECOND. yes, he can do stupid things in token decks, and be almost an [c]overrun effect and he costs 3 that's broken but oh wait he is MUCH HARDER TO USE. hence I can justify making him cost less and be uncommon because then he's one of those draft-around uncommons I hear so much about where if you can make a pile of 1/1s he's baller but if you're playing more large threats he is doing you no good.

and then there's the angel. I originally costed her at 5. that was broken. she's basically a mono-colored broodmate dragon that makes you sacrifice a creature but pays you back in lifelink. she forms two halves of a serra angel, in that you can attack with one while the other blocks. over all, absolute bomb rare, but THEY PRINTED BANESLAYER ANGEL THERE ARE NO LONGER RULES. at least she's not mythic. then it'd be a blatant cashgrab. not as good a control finisher as the dragon probably because you have to commit a second card. it's not two threats for one, it just upgrades one of the ones you already have. also worth noting that, like the adept, (and the mammoths but I didn't mention it there) this doesn't strip away other abilities. so who you were before you became an angel matters.

damn it still no flavor text. WAIT NO I GOT IT HELL YES RAZOR TO THE BORNE.

Dammit razor, now I have to go back and create an actual entry.
Dammit razor, now I have to go back and create an actual entry.

I liked your entry. although it's worth pointing out that the one named after me doesn't work thanks to things like noxious ghoul.

Miscarriage of Justice
Instant
Put Miscarriage of Justice and target instant or sorcery spell on top of their owner's libraries.
Each player fateseals 3.
"The appeal is dismissed. This court finds that the plaintiff and defendant have been treated equally... and what is justice but applied equality?"

Unfair Trade
Sorcery
Fateseal 3 and scry 3.
Each player draws three cards.
"What are you bellyaching about? Your half of the goods look just fine to me."

Demon of Iniquity
Creature - Demon
When Demon of Iniquity enters the battlefield, you draw three cards and target opponent discards three cards. Then each player may cast an instant or sorcery card in his or her hand without paying its mana cost.
Flying
"Contract has two definitions: to bargain, and to reduce in size. You see by the asterisk here that I mean both."
8/5

The intent here (besides the unfairness theme) is to make a sort of loose thematic loop that goes spell (counter) -> fateseal (scry) -> draw (discard) -> spell (counter) etc. Also the costs double and the effects get less and less equal as you move from white to black.
slight update to my cards, made the targetted ones only affect creatures you control. on the Merchant it's mostly a downside, since you can't shrink their 6/6 into a much easier to deal with blocker to sneak through damage, but I think that makes more sense anyway. Angel could avoid promoting opponents' creatures by targetting itself anyway, but I figure that's not necessarily obvious and I don't want people thinking they have to pump an opponent's creature in order to play theirs so I changed it. on top of that I, again, feel it doesn't make sense to use it to cripple their guy if they had something better than a mini-baneslayer.

bump

tek hurry up I think this technically closed like 12 hours ago.

PS: wait no you have a little more time never mind. 
Some of us have research protocols to write.
so.

like.

Oh man, I just updated my common again.

Maybe I'll get it right at some point.

That means you're disqualified, right?

That means you're disqualified, right?

Disqualified for backseat modding.

Razorborne is last standing player, congratulations.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Rush still hasn't officially closed it.

Round closed. Judges, nominate the worst of the bunch.

I nominate Rush

I nominate Rush

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were still waiting on my nomination.

Nominate Kavu.
I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were still waiting on my nomination.

Nominate Kavu.

looks like it's a vote-off. I'll make the thread.

how do I make polls

Never mind I made it.

By nominating me, Imidazoline has shown that doesn't know sparkling brilliance when he sees it, and is therefore my choice for elimination.

Or, you wish really hard, you'll get my real comments/verdict later tonight.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
By nominating me, Imidazoline has shown that doesn't know sparkling brilliance when he sees it, and is therefore my choice for elimination.

Or, you wish really hard, you'll get my real comments/verdict later tonight.

You know I'm only bitter and old.
Commmmmmments
Imidazoline
Unravel
It's a shame that white is the primary enchantment hater, but the mana effect demands green-ness. This feels like another in the long like of Naturalizes, except - whoops! It doesn't hit artifacts! A minor complaint, though. The mana-add effect works well as a Manamorphose-ish ability. The flavor is pretty good, except the second sentence of the flavor text reads strangely, as does the "like any other" part.

Fanatical Preacher
The tension between having mana on-demand when you can use it best (a main phase) versus the effect only being useful in combat is interesting. Its power level should be fine, because the one-sided combat pyroclasm won't be a blowout because you can see it coming. The +3 mana on demand shouldn't be a problem either, as it's only somewhat better than Grinning Ignus. Like the last card, though, this also suffers from 'it sounds wierd when you read my flavor text' syndrome. Why is a match setting things loose?

Soulsnare Shaman
Phyrexian Altar, eat your heart out. It's pretty scary, especially with Through the Breach effects. I suppose it's a fragile creature that does nothing else… Oh, and the flavor text this time? GREAT.

razorborne
Wingform Merchant
I realize it would break the tightness of your cards, but having 'you control' on this card really dampens the excitement for it, especially considering morphing opposing creatures is something blue can do (Snakeform, Turn to Frog). Basically, it requires something smaller than a 2/2 on your side of the field that isn't summoning-sick (so, turn 2+) (or something with an on-hit effect, as you mention, but then why not play a Distortion Strike variant?) and the upside you get from it is one turn of a 2/2 flier. Then, you're left with the initial creature (which must have been bad if 2/2 flyer was an upgrade) and another vanilla 1/1. The flavor is okay, but lacks impact without context.

Mammothcrafter
This ability is just so much fun. It's a very neat Overrun variant. It's pretty cheap at only three mana, but lacks a lot of the power of an Overrun (unless you're playing with Eldrazi Spawn) since it's a limit so that's okay. The flavor is a chuckle, too.

Shieldblessed Archangel
So this is what Broodmate Dragon/Armada Wurm would look like in monocolor. The power differences should even out, since this is monocolor and requires another creature, but gives lifelink which is pretty good when you have 8 flying power worth of it. Shades of Angelic Destiny is nice. The flavor, both overall and written, is kinda boring. I'd have liked a name that more embodied the effect, rather than generic angel name #12.

Detektor
Miscarriage of Justice
Seeing 'miscarriage' on a card kind of weirds me out. It's an interesting take on white counterspells, and should be balanced by the Negate restrictions and letting the opponet fateseal you. The flavor is good, and gives a nice 'corrupted court' feel.

Unfair Trade
Scry 3 and draw 3 is quite a bit of digging. I mean, the opponent gets to draw 3 as well, but with Fateseal, there's bound to be at least one card they don't need, and any bombs will go straight to the bottom. I doubt it will reach Ponder/Brainstorm levels of demand since it still costs four, but I do think it is good. The "your half of the goods" in the flavor text sounds like the splitting of loot, rather than a trade like the name says.

Demon of Iniquity
By the time you get to 8 mana, three cards should be enough to empty your opponent's hand, so I don't see them ever getting something out of it. It's almost assuredly win you the game not long after casting it, but then again, it shares a cost with Griselbrand, so that's to be expected. The legalese flavor text seems odd on a 8/5 flying beatstick demon.

So, I guess I have to make my choice. I have to say that I choose
Show
razorborne
Show
as the strongest set of submissions. Mammothcrafter is good fun, the angel is mechanically sound, and the merchant... makes birds. Well, it's okay. Which means that I'll have to say that...
Show
Imidazoline
Show
is also safe from me. Soulsnare Shaman's flavor is quite good, the Preacher has a lot of choices and interesting tension, and Unravel just looks a little wierd but does a neat thing. That means
Show
Detektor is my nomination. Miscarriage is interesting, and the Trade is definately usable, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'screw over my opponent' theme. I fear it makes the game rather un-fun for the person on the receiving end.
So, I guess I have to make my choice. I have to say that I choose
Show
razorborne
Show
as the strongest set of submissions. Mammothcrafter is good fun, the angel is mechanically sound, and the merchant... makes birds. Well, it's okay. Which means that I'll have to say that...
Show
Imidazoline
Show
is also safe from me. Soulsnare Shaman's flavor is quite good, the Preacher has a lot of choices and interesting tension, and Unravel just looks a little wierd but does a neat thing. That means
Show
Detektor is my nomination. Miscarriage is interesting, and the Trade is definately usable, but I'm not a huge fan of the 'screw over my opponent' theme. I fear it makes the game rather un-fun for the person on the receiving end.

you are a terrible person. I hope you know that.

Your comment strikes me as kind of odd, Kavu. I would argue that almost every other card in existence is a "definitely screw over your opponent" card (Lapse of Certainty, Concentration, Myojin of Night's Reach...), whereas these are more engaging because they "probably screw over your opponent, but possibly screw you over". I'm not asking you to change your opinion, but my personal motivation for making that cycle was that getting the chance to benefit during your opponent's turn is the opposite of un-fun.
It's mostly from the fateseal on the first two cards. Yes, most cards are designed to give you an advantage over your opponents, but some ways to do it (Land destruction, and to a lesser extent, counterspells) make the game significantly less fun for the player on the recieving end. Mana screw/flood are are also no fun for a player, and it's a hollow victory for the person who avoids it. Fateseal excaberates that problem. It takes away that sense of hope that the next card could be the gamechanger, potentially for multiple turns, which is my main issue.
That's mainly why the first effect is symmetrical and the second effect only applies to the three cards that you're drawing this turn anyways. I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I don't think Wizards would have keyworded it in the first place if they thought the effect was inherently depressing to play against.
Commenting on last round like I promised and then commenting on this round.
someone's really Mowning it up

says the guy who took almost a whole week to grade his contest

hypocrisy is the mother of invention

Your haiku is off.