OLD vs NEW. Comparing Decks.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello. I have two varients of a deck I have created, and I am unsure which one is better, if there is even a clear better one. I would like to hear which one of these two decks seem superior to you and any suggestions you may have to help improve them. Each deck will have its summary in the spoilers. Thanks for reading, and I will be happy to hear any suggestions you might have.

Deck One.
Show
Hello, I have created a deck based around using Myr Battlesphere attacking ability with Myr Galvanizer untap ability for a quick KO. The idea of the deck is to gain as much mana as possible within the first few turns, taking advantage of the cheap mana giving myrs and then taking action with a turn four Myr Battlesphere. If I have a hard time drawing a Myr Battlesphere, I can simply use a Myr Turbine to fish one out of my deck.

If I manage to lose my Myr Battlesphere, I can either revive one using Myr Reservoir. If I lose the Myr Battlespheres permentantly, I can still rely on Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas to finish the game with his -4 ability, or I can rely on the infite mana loop given to me via a two Myr Galvanizer + One Palladium Myr combo to quickly get out myrs as an emergancy.

Main Deck.

Sideboard.
[Deck]
4x Apostle's Blessing
2x Gitaxian Probe
2x Ratchet Bomb
2x Spellskite
2x Surgical Extraction
2x Tormod's Crypt
1x Witchbane Orb
[/Deck]

Deck Two.
[sblock]Hi, I have created a myr artifact deck. The deck consists of mostly artifact cards. The idea of the deck is to get whatever gives you extra mana or reduces mana costs of artifacts out as quickly as possible, and then get a Myr Battlsphere out. You can potentially get a turn four Myr Battlesphere if done correctly. The Myr Battlesphere is what is suppose to win the game, and it can do so in a few turns after it is summoned.

Once you get a Myr Battlesphere out, you can repeatedly clone the Myr Battlesphere with cheaper clone spells allowing you to gain a surplus of myrs and then quickly swing for a victory.

Main Deck.

[Deck]

3x Akroma's Memorial
4x Cloudpost
4x Coat of Arms
4x Glimmerpost
12x Island
3x Leaden Myr
4x Myr Battlesphere
4x Myr Galvanizer
3x Myr Reservoir
3x Myr Turbine
4x Palladium Myr
4x Ponder
4x Silver Myr
4x Sol Ring

[/Deck]

Sideboard.

[Deck]

4x Apostle's Blessing
2x Gitaxian Probe
2x Ratchet Bomb
2x Spellskite
2x Surgical Extration
2x Tormod's Crypt
1x Witchbane Orb

[/Deck]

Devout Chaplain says that your decks are missing something.

What exactly would that be?

What exactly would that be?

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Something to make is job more challenging.
Devout Chaplain isn't good.
Devout Chaplain isn't good.

If you played with one artifact deck against a human deck with Devout Chaplain you wouldn't say that.

And he is only one of many cards that can destroy an unprotected artifact deck.

Hardly. He first activates at turn 4, and can only kill 1 thing a turn after that.

Hardly. He first activates at turn 4, and can only kill 1 thing a turn after that.

Nop, turn 3 and can kill in turn 4, and this without using mana ramps, after that it can destroy 1 artifact per turn. So any artifact deck without protection would need to win until turn 3 or 4 ... after that any of these decks would be dead.

And then you also have Oblivion Ring, Leonin Relic-Warder, Revoke Existence, Dust to Dust, Into the Core, Path to Exile, Reciprocate, Swords to Plowshares, ... and these are cards that exile artifacts/creatures ... then there are those that only destroy them that can be less efective against Myr Reservoir, unless they take it out.

And there's also counterspells, mass removal and other nasty cards like these ...

after that any of these decks would be dead

Not really. Warden's too slow to be of any massive impact, requires more dudes to even activate, can only activate once a turn and is fairly small.

Plus, alot of artifacts don't mind dying - Wurmcoil Engine, Sundering Titan, Spine of Ish Sah, etc.
after that any of these decks would be dead

Not really. Warden's too slow to be of any massive impact, requires more dudes to even activate, can only activate once a turn and is fairly small.

Plus, alot of artifacts don't mind dying - Wurmcoil Engine, Sundering Titan, Spine of Ish Sah, etc.

The problem is that he exiles artifacts ... so Wurmcoil Engine and Spine of Ish Sah abilities are useless against it.

And the point it's that there are several removal spells that can destroy these decks by removing their key cards (Myr Galvanizer and Myr Battlesphere), since they are artifacts and creatures at the same time, so they can be targeted by anti-creature and anti-artifact spells.

I am getting mixed signals here. I am going to need an explination on what I could put in as a sideboard against these. Also, which of the two decks seem better?
I see you have shape anew in your side board.  You could make that your main game plan by finding it (clutch of the undercity), and then shape anew into the only artifact in your deck, myr battlesphere.  These guys help you re-shape:
master's call
blade splicer
master splicer
wing splicer
I see you have shape anew in your side board.  You could make that your main game plan by finding it (clutch of the undercity), and then shape anew into the only artifact in your deck, myr battlesphere.  These guys help you re-shape:
master's call
blade splicer
master splicer
wing splicer

Thanks for the idea, but I am not sure if I would want to convert my deck into that. I might make an entirely diffrent deck based around that though, although I wouldn't use Myr Battlesphere as the Shape Anew target.

The biggest thing each of those decks are missing is protection. Protection from all the artifact-hating cards in magic. A simple fix is something like Leonin Abunas or if you don't mind shelling out about $12 each, you can nab some Darksteel Forge and hope they can't exile. Also using blue for counters can help too.

Oh, and if someone drops a Hum of the Radix you can kiss your deck's progress goodbye~
"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this." Check out my MTG blog, called Poor Man's Mana. http://cheapmana.blogspot.com/
I just looked at that second deck a little more closely.  I'll tell you right now, I wouldn't even sit down to play against that deck until you took out the four sol rings.  That's not casual.  That's not even legal in pro formats.

One alternative to darksteel forge is eldrazi monument.  The draw back is much less than it sounds like.  If you want to stick with the myr theme, myr retriever plays nice with it as well.
I have made some changes to my sideboard. Also, what is wrong with Sol Ring?

I have made some changes to my sideboard. Also, what is wrong with Sol Ring?

Sol Ring is, as a one of, a power house card. In most decks it gives a player the ability to go "Turn 2: I play 4 mana or greater card. Do you scoop?" So seeing it as a 4 of in a deck is mind blowing. I imagine if someone were to play 2 - 4 sol rings on me turn one, I'd have to remove the brick from my pants. Sol ring as a one of doesn't really belong in a casual deck. As a 4 of it can't even be in any tournament legal deck.

Decks
Legacy
Coffee Girl/Super Zero
[deck] 4 Glimpse of Nature 4 Scapegoat 1 Brain Freeze 1 Grapeshot 1 Storm Entity 4 Land Grant 4 Lotus Petal 1 Mox Opal 4 Mox Diamond 4 Temple Garden 1 Breeding Pool 4 Memnite 4 Shield Sphere 4 Phyrexian Walker 4 Ornithopter 4 Crimson Kobolds 4 Kobolds of Kher Keep 4 Crookshank Kobolds 3 Phyrexian Marauder [/deck]
Zubera Chum
[deck] 4 Ember-Fist Zubera 4 Floating-Dream Zubera 4 Silent-Chant Zubera 4 Dripping-Tongue Zubera 4 Ashen-Skin Zubera 1 Honden of Infinite Rage 1 Honden of Cleansing Fire 1 Honden of Life's Web 1 Honden of Night's Reach 1 Honden of Seeing Winds 2 Soul Foundry 4 Pentad Prism 3 Devouring Greed 3 Spawning Pit 4 Mountain 4 Island 4 Plains 4 Swamp 4 Forest 3 Terramorphic Expanse [/deck]
Burn
[deck] 4 Burst Lightning 4 Lightning Bolt 4 Lava Spike 4 Chain Lightning 4 Rift Bolt 4 Incinerate 4 Chain of Plasma 4 Flame Rift 4 Thunderbolt 4 Fireblast 4 Barbarian Ring 16 Mountain [/deck]
Envy
[deck] 4 Shared Fate 4 Serum Powder 4 Manamorphose 4 Elvish Spirit Guide 4 Simian Spirit Guide 4 Rite of Flame 4 Desperate Ritual 4 Pyretic Ritual 4 Seething Song 4 Lotus Petal 4 City of Brass 4 Gemstone Mine 4 Tendo Ice Bridge 4 Shivan Reef 4 Steam Vents [/deck]
Arcane Bin
[deck] 4 Ire of Kaminari 3 Psychic Puppetry 4 Desperate Ritual 3 Dampen Thought 4 Peer Through Depths 4 Sift Through Sands 4 Reach Through Mists 4 Eerie Procession 4 Ideas Unbound 3 Glacial Ray 3 Sensei's Divining Top 4 Lotus Vale 10 Island 6 Mountain [/deck]
Multiplayer Syphon
[deck] 4 Barter in Blood 1 Infest 4 Hideous Laughter 4 Screams from Within 4 Syphon Soul 4 Blood Tithe 4 Syphon Mind 4 Hissing Miasma 4 Twisted Abomination 4 Consume Spirit 2 Exsanguinate 1 Panoptic Mirror 4 Cabal Coffers 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth 1 Dark Depths 16 Swamp [/deck]
Extended
Elfball
[deck] 4 Heritage Druid 4 Nettle Sentinel 4 Llanowar Elves 4 Elvish Visionary 4 Elvish Promenade 4 Gilt-Leaf Ambush 2 Imperious Perfect 3 Elvish Archdruid 4 Regal Force 2 Manamorphose 2 Roar of the Crowd 2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn 2 Naturalize 18 Forest 1 Mountain [/deck]
Standard
Liquimelter
[deck] 4 Liquimetal Coating 4 Manic Vandal 4 Oxidda Scrapmelter 4 Tuktuk Scrapper 3 Acidic Slime 3 Hoard-Smelter Dragon 3 Viridian Revel 3 Ancient Stirrings 4 Flame Slash 4 Lightning Bolt 10 Forest 14 Mountain [/deck]
Humans!
[deck] 4 Angel of Glory's Rise 4 Faithless Looting 4 Shattered Perception 4 Wild Guess 3 Mad Prophet 4 Unburial Rites 3 Goldnight Commander 2 Lightning Mauler 3 Fervent Cathar 3 Fiend Hunter 2 Kessig Malcontents 4 Zealous Conscripts 4 Clifftop Retreat 4 Dragonskull Summit 10 Mountain 2 Plains [/deck]
So its too overpowered to be considered fun to people? Also, how is my sideboard?
Anyone else have comments?