Static abilities in combat

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello guys,

I have trouble in interpreting the rules in the following situation:
A player controls in the battlefield a Captain of the Watch, along with three 1/1 soldiers. The captain has a static ability that gives +1/+1 to the soldiers (they are effectively 2/2).
This player declares his attacking creatures (e.g. Attack with the three soldiers). His opponent casts Murder (instant) to destroy the Captain, and then he declares his blocking creatures.
My question is: What would be the power/toughness of the soldiers when combat resolves? 1/1 or 2/2?
Thank you very much in advance 
Hello guys,

I have trouble in interpreting the rules in the following situation:
A player controls in the battlefield a Captain of the Watch, along with three 1/1 soldiers. The captain has a static ability that gives +1/+1 to the soldiers (they are effectively 2/2).
This player declares his attacking creatures (e.g. Attack with the three soldiers). His opponent casts Murder (instant) to destroy the Captain, and then he declares his blocking creatures.
My question is: What would be the power/toughness of the soldiers when combat resolves? 1/1 or 2/2?
Thank you very much in advance 

They will be 1/1.  The bonus from the Captain only works while the Captain is on the battlefield.  The moment the Captain leaves the battlefield the bonus stops.

It's worth noting that if the Captain dies from combat damage, the tokens still deal 2 damage each. As soon as combat damage finishes and state-based checks are done, the captain will die and the tokens will become smaller.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Thank you guys. Is what you say, Shard_Fenix, in disagreement with rudolf? Is Murder considered combat damage? In other words, do you imply that the power of the soldiers would be 2/2 in the exact case I described above?
Sorry for the questions, just to be sure! Thank you!
Thank you guys. Is what you say, Shard_Fenix, in disagreement with rudolf?

It would be more precise to say that if the Captain dies from combat damage, the tokens have already dealt 2 damage each.
Is Murder considered combat damage?

Murder is neither "combat" nor "damage".

510. Combat Damage Step

510.1. First, the active player announces how each attacking creature assigns its combat damage, then the defending player announces how each blocking creature assigns its combat damage. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. A player assigns a creature's combat damage according to the following rules:

510.1a Each attacking creature and each blocking creature assigns combat damage equal to its power. Creatures that would assign 0 or less damage this way don't assign combat damage at all.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Thank you for the clarificarion. So, if I understand correct from the combat phase rules (506.1), the combat damage step is the pre-last step. Therefore, the removal of the Captain from the battlefield using Murder at the declaration steps (i.e. before the combat damage step) results to the removal of his bonus to the soldiers before the combat damage resolves. Is that correct?
Thank you again!
Exactly.
604.2. Static abilities create continuous effects, some of which are prevention effects or replacement effects. These effects are active as long as the permanent with the ability remains on the battlefield and has the ability, or as long as the object with the ability remains in the appropriate zone, as described in rule 112.6.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Thank you very much for your answers!