SB
3 Outwit
1 Duress
1 Vile Rebirth
1 Appetite for Brains
3 Essence Scatter
2 Tribute to Hunger 
2 Mind Rot 

This is the first draft.  I'll prob cut ravenous.

Buy your Pack Rats for a dolla. 

EDIT:

8 Swamp
7 Island
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Rogue's Passage

4 Pack Rat
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Augur of Bolas

4 Thought Scour
4 Tragic Slip
2 Appetite for Brains
1 Duress
1 Vile Rebirth

3 Runechanter's Pike
2 Sign in Blood
2 Ultimate Price
1 Cyclonic Rift

4 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Tribute to Hunger 
1 Mind Rot

1 Sever the Bloodline  
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
inb4packratban

Why you think they gonna ban it?
inb4packratban

I don't think you deserve an explanation if you don't see how obviously ban-worthy packrat is.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Ghost Quarter seems better than Rogue's Passage here. Night Terrors is also better than Mind Rot in most situations, especially in a Zombie- and Snapcaster Mage-dominated metagame.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

This is so awesome.  When mankind invented words, they didn't have this in mind. 

Is Alchemy a four-of in here?  I like it, but it feels hefty.  Meh, I dunno, I can see it.  Presumably you keep the early game locked up enough that the gas station is just worth it.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Needs more Typhoid Rats.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
inb4packratban

I don't think you deserve an explanation if you don't see how obviously ban-worthy packrat is.

Thats an answer by that someone who also has no clue would say...enough said.
xD Awesome deck is awesome. I also like how Delver has superceded delver, much like Blade superceded Blade of the Bloodchief
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I dont see how pack rat is banable either
Sure it runs very nicely with Runechanter's and Snapcaster, but Rest in Peace shuts down this deck almost completely, and your only hope is to have Duress and make them discard it before they play it, or just hope that they don't have a way to kill Pack Rat.
I think you should try and go a little more late-game with this deck. Because it's not Delver/Geist-based, you have less incentive to play the tempo game. Pack Rat seems great for getting to the late game, ala Squad Hawks/Moorland Haunt. It might be an engine if you can pair it with new Jace and/or big Liliana.

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Pack Rat will kill te opponent very quickly and he can fight off a team alone.

It's also a lot harder to kill Pact Rat than you may imagine.  

I think I'll be cutting the Ravenous Rats for a full set of Augur and two more instant/sorceries.

8 Swamp
7 Island
4 Drowned Catacomb
2 Rogue's Passage

4 Pack Rat
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Augur of Bolas

4 Thought Scour
4 Tragic Slip
2 Appetite for Brains
1 Duress
1 Vile Rebirth

3 Runechanter's Pike
2 Sign in Blood
2 Ultimate Price
1 Cyclonic Rift

4 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Tribute to Hunger 
1 Mind Rot

1 Sever the Bloodline 
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
I planned on running Pack Rat even before I saw this list, and I wasn't completely sold at first, but I will definitely admit that I am very intrigued and want to at least try it out and see. I do also understand that Pack Rat is VERY tough to get rid of, aside from a board wipe like the new uncounterable one, or Detention Sphere, or Sever the Bloodline....I think those are the only ways to get rid of all of them at once?
Detention Sphere is tough on them.  Try to be more conservative against UW.

Show

OH wow.

Sigged.  Sigged so fast.

I do actually really like this list.  I shall do some testing.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
how has this list been running ? it looks super sick
That comment is going to haunt me.

The biggest problem is the lack of Watery Grave. 
Show
Watery Grave is coming back next set though right? I assume once that hits, all bets are off for this kind of deck. it just gets crazy more consistant.
Opponent is at 14.  +1 on JAT.  Taps out after Rest in Peace.  EOT Bounce Sphere.  Rat comes in.  Make 2 rats.  Untap.  make 3 Rats.  Swing with 3 5/6.  GG
Show
How often do you have access to 9 lands?

I don't see the appeal of this deck.

IMAGE(http://oi55.tinypic.com/6yjjp1.jpg)

Opponent is at 14.  +1 on JAT.  Taps out after Rest in Peace.  EOT Bounce Sphere.  Rat comes in.  Make 2 rats.  Untap.  make 3 Rats.  Swing with 3 5/6.  GG

This may be a dumb question, but I just want to make sure the ruling on Pack Rat....you don't actually have to discard a card to use his ability correct? You could just activate it with no cards in hand, and you still get the token? Like I know on something like Dangerous Wager you don't need to ahve a hand, because you can just discard the nothing that is in your hand and then draw, but i wasn't 100% sure if Pack Rat worked the same.
You have to discard.

How often do you have access to 9 lands?

I don't see the appeal of this deck.

Just a cool story from a long game. 
Show

The new Reversed Ravenous Rats (with the "When X Dies" pay :B: trigger) looks more effective in this deck than a few scrap Instances and Sorcs. I'd also considering getting rid of the pikes since Pack Rat wants a deck full of flashback, but Pike gets weaker for it (yes, I know it can power up your pike, but that requires you to sacrifice a good deal of card advantage.)

Also, the comedy value of the later posters in this thread is beyond genius. GG Whoever set up that bait n' switch. A 24-land version with 2 or 3 Gilded Lotus also sounds quite fun.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I wish I could afford this deck.
Pack Rats make great tokens for Pack Rat!

Show

Yea pack rat sucks tbh, at best you have 2 3/3's on turn 4.. why is that amazing?

Worry only about the current. Think about the rest. And you wont have to worry.

Yea pack rat sucks tbh, at best you have 2 3/3's on turn 4.. why is that amazing?

If you have 2 rats, they're just 2/2s.

But you actually have 3 3/3s on turn 4. And 4 4/4s on turn 5. 5 5/5s on 6?

I'm sold. Ordered 4 to play and 4 as tokens. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm also sold on rats.

What about a green splash in something like this for Golgari Charm/Deathrite Shaman?  Charm has a lot of nice synergies with rats alone, and Shaman would be like a Grim Lavamancer in here.

I wouldn't say that it sucks. its very hard to kill, and can actually benefit you depending upon what you discard. If you discard something with FB, you really aren't losing a whole lot, and if you use it in a Reanimator deck its awesome because you want to pitch things to the GY anyway. "Oh look I have a Griselbrand in my hand, nope not anymore, now I have another token and getting ready to Unburial Rites next turn"
I think I'm moving Essence Scatter to the MD.  I've seen tremendously fewer Caverns.

I really like this deck! 
Show
how has this deck been working out? 
any hard match ups? 
Haven't been on in a long time, first thing I did was find Islands newest deck, as he's always got the wackiest yet somehow still strong brews. Consequently I'm necroing this thread....

I understand that pack rats are your delver, but couldn't delver be in here too? For consistancies sake?
List looks fun. Still playing it or do you have a new love?
I'm staring at this build hard, more or less.... since oddly enough the best way to beat Thragtusk is to counter or force a discard.

Sure it'll get rolled by a zombie deck... but thats ok... you cant be both paper and rock at the same time. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Fun stuff to discard to rats deck:

Veilborn Ghoul
Worldspine Wurm
Sign In to post comments