9/24/2012 Draft Simulator

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Cool I got first post hehe.   Not an easy draft as first pack had no obvious bombs.  Searing spear was a good first pick imho and second pick Roaring is a good green card that loves Yeva +2+2 mages and Bon Beetles but didn't get enough of those.  If I had it todo over again I think I would have gone Black/Blue/Red for the Nicol Bolas that showed up last pack.  Think it would have been doable.

Round 1:
Searing Spear
Roaring Primadox
Primal Huntbeast
Cleaver Riot
Elvish Visionary
Flinthoof Boar
Jace's Phantasm
Healer of the Pride
Yeva's Forcemage
Jace's Phantasm
Ring of Evos Isle
Ring of Valkas
Erase
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Searing Spear
Elixir of Immortality
Yeva, Nature's Herald
Mark of the Vampire
Roaring Primadox
Ring of Kalonia
Slumbering Dragon
Deadly Recluse
Titanic Growth
Mind Sculpt
Torch Fiend
Farseek
Kindled Fury
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Furnace Whelp
Dragonskull Summit
Arms Dealer
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Trumpet Blast
Slumbering Dragon
Bond Beetle
Canyon Minotaur
Farseek
Mind Sculpt
Gem of Becoming
Kindled Fury
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

I went Blue/Black evasive creatures and spell recursion, and drafted well.

Round 1:
Talrand's Invocation - Very tough first pick. You have Spear, Boar, Redirect, and Talrands. Talrands is an amazingly good "creature", a little better than boar. Redirect is awesome, but somewhat niche, so I took Talrands and reasoned that Redirect might wheel.
Mark of the Vampire - I want to go Blue because I have Talrands. All the blue cards here are fair, but I like MotV a little better. A powerful lifelinking flier can be a game winner, and the blue cards are average enough to wheel.
Sign in Blood - More fair blue creatures, Phantasm and Scroll Thief. I pass them because I like Sign's card draw.
Unsummon - Unsummon is great, cheap removal. It gets rid of enchanted creatures, tokens, or blockers. Easy pick.
Essence Scatter - Essence Scatter and nothing else exciting for Blue.
Scroll Thief - Scroll Thief and Wind Drake. I took the Thief reasoning that I wanted more draw and it might be hard to block with Enchants or Unsummons.
Jace's Phantasm - I took Phantasm here over Entrancer and Negate. Mill is very easy to draft because no one wants it, and i knew another Phantasm might wheel. The potential for big early fliers was tempting.
Negate - Kraken, Mind rot, and Negate. I missed Negate last pick, so I got it here.
Redirect - Redirect wheels, score! Tricks is tempting, but Redirect can really screw your opponent if you reflect his removal.
Jace's Phantasm - Jace's Phantasm wheels. Early fliers and mill looks viable.
Ring of Evos Isle - One of several Ring of Evos Isle cards wheels. A decent pick for hexproof and growing fliers.
Duress - I like Duress as it removes some nasty cards and gives you information about the opponent's hand.
Erase
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Negate - A miss here. Lich is cool, but not playable in our deck because we have no artifacts. I'm not excited about the Prowler either. I take Negate for lack of better options.
Tricks of the Trade - Master isn't that great for us as we have few merfolk. We have several things we want though: Mind Sculpt, Tricks, and Scorpion. I chose Tricks because I felt confident that Sculpt would wheel and Tricks helps us beat in for more damage.
Tormented Soul - Again, several options. I chose Soul over Entrancer and Rewind, reasoning that I'd get one of those cards back.
Mark of the Vampire - Another MotV. Great with my evasive creatures and keeping the game going long (what I want).
Harbor Serpent - Nothing crazy good here. I chose the Serpent to use as a late game blocker, if nothing else.
Clone - Tough pack. I really want that second Sign in Blood, but Clone is an extremely powerful card. We have to pass the Sign, unfortunately.
Mind Rot - Nothing too exciting here. Blight has merit for removing a blocker, but I feel like Rot is a stronger card overall.
Ravenous Rats - We get immediately rewarded for taking Rot by getting Rats to go with it.
Phylactery Lich - Lich wheels, and we have to take it at this point. A well, we can't play it, but it's trade fodder after the game ;).
Mind Sculpt - Mind Sculpt and Master wheel. We take the Sculpt to go with our Phantasms.
Rewind - Rewind wheels.
Downpour
Index
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Stormtide Leviathan - Ugh, this pack. We get Stormtide, Rise for the Grave, -and- Murder. Darn, they're all too good! We probably aren't going to get the ones we didn't pick back. After some thought, I took Stormtide, hoping for an outside chance that Rise will wheel over Murder. This might have been a mistake; maybe I should have picked Murder first.
Augur of Bolas - We see Augur and Mind Sculpt. I again expect Sculpt to wheel, to I take Augur to fetch my numerous spells.
Essence Drain - I was feeling a bit removal light at this point, so I took the Essence drain over Kraken and another Tormented Soul.
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker - Fourth pick Bolas!? What is up with this draft. The crazy thing is, it's actually a hard pick because we have Fog Bank, too. I took Bolas because we can actually play him if we want, and he's probably worth money/tickets.
Unsummon - We get another Unsummon, great pickup, cheap removal.
Ravenous Rats - I chose Rats here, as Encrust doesn't entice me that much as removal.
Ravenous Rats - More Rats?
Archaeomancer - Archaeomancer beats Scorpion pretty easily here, as we have a ton of spells to recur.
Tricks of the Trade - Another Tricks for evasion and beatdown.
Mind Sculpt - The Sculpt wheels. Mill is looking nice at this point with two sculpts and ways to recur them.
Kraken Hatchling - I take a Kraken here for early defense.
Rewind - Another Rewind wheels.
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

Final Deck:

Creatures: 9

x1 Kraken Hatchling
x2 Jace's Phantasm
x1 Tormented Soul
x1 Augur of Bolas
x1 Scroll Thief
x1 Archaeomancer
x1 Clone
x1 Stormtide Leviathan

Spells: 14

x1 Duress
x2 Unsummon
x1 Redirect
x1 Negate
x1 Sign in Blood
x2 Mind Sculpt
x1 Talrand's Invocation
x2 Rewind
x2 Mark of the Vampire
x1 Tricks of the Trade

Lands: 17

x9 Island
x8 Swamp

There were so many picks that I had to cut cards to make it fit. A lot of our discard is in the sideboard if needed, as is Bolas. The game plan is basically to beat in with evasive fliers and survive by using removal and draining life. If we can get Talrands to recur or get 5/5 Phantasms, the game should be in our favor. Mill is an alternate win condition. Leviathan is a long-term bomb that can also win us the game. Thoughts?
Builds and Guides The Cosmonaut a build that teleports foes into space. November Errata Item Guide a guide to equipping Avengers and Strikers after the November errata. 100% Crit Rate Ardent Champion an Avenger combo that autocrits and/or inflicts infinite damage at level 11.

Man, Bolas sure has had his mana cost reduced since last I saw him. Only 4U? Seems OP.
This draft was fun, one of the best ones draft simulator had for m13. Sort of a mono red splashing green. Not much green thats why i called it mono red lol. Im lovin the deck i made, i love the card wild guess, i think its a bit underated. Get a whole bunch of dorks out and beat them down, with the help of burn! Elixer of immortality if you need to refuel. And 2 ring of valkas! The haste ring, i think is the best ring from the set and even constructed format worthy!

Round 1:
Searing Spear
Turn to Slag
Krenko's Command
Ring of Valkas
Elvish Visionary
Flinthoof Boar
Negate
Rummaging Goblin
Krenko's Command
Wall of Fire
Bloodthrone Vampire
Unsummon
Erase
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Searing Spear
Elixir of Immortality
Dragon Hatchling
Prey Upon
Roaring Primadox
Goblin Arsonist
Slumbering Dragon
Deadly Recluse
Titanic Growth
Ring of Valkas
Wild Guess
Plummet
Kindled Fury
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Arbor Elf
Chandra's Fury
Arms Dealer
Reckless Brute
Goblin Battle Jester
Slumbering Dragon
Hellion Crucible
Canyon Minotaur
Wild Guess
Wild Guess
Bond Beetle
Kindled Fury
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

```````````````````````

The Deck:

Non-Creature -
Searing Spear x2
Chandra's Fury x1
Elixir of Immortality x1
Ring of Valkas x2
Wild Guess x3

Creatures -
Krenko's Command x2
Slumbering Dragon x2
Arms Dealer x1
Rummaging Goblin x1
Goblin Battle Jester x1
Reckless Brute x1
Flinthoof Boar x1
Arbor Elf x1
Dragon Hatchling x1
Deadly Recluse x1
Goblin Arsonist x1
Elvish Visionary x1

Lands -
Hellion Crucible x1
Mountain x9
Forest x7

Round 1: Talrand's Invocation Jace's Phantasm Welkin Tern Unsummon Essence Scatter Scroll Thief Jace's Phantasm Kraken Hatchling Redirect Ring of Evos Isle Index Duress Erase Tormod's Crypt Forest

Round 2: Searing Spear Master of the Pearl Trident Vedalken Entrancer Watercourser Harbor Serpent Clone Archaeomancer Deadly Recluse Hydrosurge Tricks of the Trade Volcanic Strength Downpour Index Hydrosurge Forest

Round 3: Stormtide Leviathan Augur of Bolas Kraken Hatchling Fog Bank Scroll Thief Encrust Encrust Welkin Tern Tricks of the Trade Mind Sculpt Gem of Becoming Rewind Plummet Smelt Mountain

First picked Tarland's Invocation, passing good R/G cards.  I kept drafting blue while trying to read the signals and decide on a second color, but I ended up staying mono-blue, which worked out to make a fun deck.  Mono blue allows you to play Redirect, Master of the Pearl Trident, and Encrust without cringing a little.  Good thing I got those late Encrusts too, because I was lacking in removal.  The two Jace's Phantasms combo well with Entrancer, and I figure one Mind Sculpt is enough to give them a little push. 
First picked the Talrand's Invocation.  Second pick was a bit harder, I didn't like the pack much, but I went with an Attended Knight.  It worked out well, and I ended up W/U.

Second pack first pick I thought I'd go for a Searing Spear and maybe splash red, but it didn't work out.

Ended up as a semi aggressive W/U deck with an okay amount of removal and tempo.  I think it would have been much stronger if I had been able to pick up a Sleep or an Arctic Aven, but it was not in the cards.

Round 1:
Talrand's Invocation
Attended Knight
Welkin Tern
Unsummon
Essence Scatter
Wind Drake
Ajani's Sunstriker
Healer of the Pride
Redirect
Jace's Phantasm
Worldfire
Door to Nothingness
Bountiful Harvest
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Searing Spear
Aven Squire
Pacifism
Crusader of Odric
Safe Passage
Divine Verdict
Archaeomancer
Pacifism
Negate
Silvercoat Lion
Rewind
Downpour
Index
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Aven Squire
Captain's Call
Pacifism
Fog Bank
Unsummon
Harbor Serpent
Ravenous Rats
Ajani's Sunstriker
Farseek
Dark Favor
Gem of Becoming
Rewind
Tormod's Crypt
Smelt
Mountain

Deck:

Creatures - 12
1 Mana - 0
2 Mana - 6 : Ajani's Sunstriker x2, Aven Squire x2, Fog Bank, Welkin Tern
3 Mana - 3 : Attended Knight, Wind Drake, Crusader of Odric
4 Mana - 2 : Healer of the Pride, Archaeomancer
5 Mana - 0
6 Mana - 1 : Harbor Serpent

Spells - 11
1 Mana - 2 : Unsummon x2
2 Mana - 4 : Pacifism x3, Essence Scatter
3 Mana - 1 : Safe Passage
4 Mana - 4 : Rewind, Captain's Call, Talrand's Invocation, Divine Verdict

D&D 4e Party Roles For Dummies: Striker - Smack the enemy Defender - Get smacked by the enemy Leader - Make it impossible for your party to lose Controller - Make it impossible for the enemy to win
Tough picks. I started strong blue in pack 1, dipped into red for pack 2, and picked up Bolas when he came along. This is what I ended up with:

CREATURES X15
Welkin Tern x2
Wind Drake
Jace's Phantasm x2
Kraken Hatchling x2
Master of the Pearl Trident
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Clone
Slumbering Dragon x2
Augur of Bolas
Scroll Thief
Stormtide Leviathan

SPELLS X5
Talrand's Invocation
Unsummon
Essence Scatter
Searing Spear
Encrust

OTHER X4
Ring of Evos Isle
Gem of Becoming
Gem of Becoming

LAND X16
Swamp x4
Mountain x4
Island x8 

Very quickly went the R/G route.  Found some good early burn, and some really nice cards tabled.  I didn't find as many good red creatures later as I would have hoped, so the deck looks a little lop-sided for what I normally hope for.

Creatures (15):
Slumbering Dragon x 2  -- Normally I don't draft, but works well with Ring of Valkas and Prey Upon
Arbor Elf x 2 -- When speed is a major aspect of deck, these guys pull double duty
Krenko's Command x 2 -- 2 creatures for 2cc, nice for speed
Elvish Visionary x 2 -- Cantrip 1/1 really deadly in combo with Roaring Primadox
Flinthoof Boar -- If I am R/G, I want as many of these as possible
Deadly Recluse -- Attacking or defending, he is a menace.
Timberpack Wolf -- Would love about 8 of these, but still 2/2 for 2cc.
Rummaging Goblin -- Helps push through land flood
Yeva's Forcemage -- works as a pump and as a body.
Roaring Primadox -- 4/4 for 4 cc is nice finisher for rush deck
Yeva, Nature's Herald -- Flash makes her and everyone after her a nice surprise.

Spells (6):
Prey Upon -- Weenie burn
Searing Spear x 3 -- I can't believe I was able to get 3!
Titanic Growth x 2 -- Works just as well as burn, in most cases
Chandra's Fury -- Finisher or board sweeper, little pricey in this deck design though

Artifacts (2):
Ring of Valkas -- ensures Dragon's will wake up if they don't kill them quick.
Ring of Kalonia -- Majority of creatures are green & trample always nice to help get final damage through.

Lands ():
Hellion Crucible
Mountain x 7
Forest x 9

Might be risky having close to even split to lands, but would like to drop dragons on turn 1 if I have them to drop, just hoping I don't have all green hand with fist full of Mountains.

Normally I don't do this, but I feel like I made out like a bandit.  Checkit:

Round 1:
Flinthoof Boar
Rootbound Crag
Primal Huntbeast
Ring of Valkas
Elvish Visionary
Flinthoof Boar
Duress
Rummaging Goblin
Krenko's Command
Wall of Fire
Worldfire
Duress
Bountiful Harvest
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Searing Spear
Elixir of Immortality
Yeva, Nature's Herald
Prey Upon
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Ring of Kalonia
Slumbering Dragon
Deadly Recluse
Titanic Growth
Ring of Valkas
Smelt
Plummet
Kindled Fury
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Farseek
Dragonskull Summit
Elvish Visionary
Trumpet Blast
Slumbering Dragon
Bond Beetle
Revive
Arbor Elf
Naturalize
Craterize
Disentomb
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

I skimmed through the thread and noticed that a lot of people got the double Slumbering Dragon, double Ring of Valkas deal.  That's where it's at!  It's a slightly risky line of play in my opinion, but there are tons of synergies.  I think I drafted well to support these synergies.  I have Bond Beetle, and Revive if I want another counter out of it after blocking.  Somebody mentioned Prey Upon, which is a funny way to go about using a sleeping dragon, but viable nonetheless.  I have solid ramp in the form of Farseek and Arbor Elf, some card drawing off a couple of Elvish Visionaries.  My creature suite is nuts (2 Flinthoof Boar, Mvonvuli Beast Tracker for Deadly Recluse/Primal Huntbeast, Yeva), supported by Wall of Fire, Krenko's Command, and Searing Spear.  I even drafted two dual lands, one of which is a Dragonskull Summit which allows me to splash black for Duress and Bloodthrone Vampire.  I was pretty happy with this one.  The deck would probably look something like this:

1 Arbor Elf
1 Bond Beetle
2 Slumbering Dragon
2 Elvish Visionary
2 Flinthoof Boar
1 Deadly Recluse
1 Mvonvuli Beast Tracker
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Yeva, Nature's Herald
1 Rummaging Goblin

2 Ring of Valkas
1 Ring of Kalonia
1 Elixir of Immortality

2 Duress
1 Farseek
1 Krenko's Command
1 Titanic Growth
1 Searing Spear

1 Rootbound Crag
1 Dragonskull Summit
9 Forest
5 Mountain
1 Swamp

Sideboard:
2 Smelt
1 Plummet
1 Naturalize
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Disentomb (what was politically incorrect about Raise Dead, huh?  I HATE it when they do this.)
1 Trumpet Blast
1 Prey Upon
1 Bountiful Harvest
1 Worldfire

Enjoy! 

I saw others going the Grix route, but when I took Talrand's Invocation I found myself going solid blue after a while.  Ussually that is a recipe for disaster due to lack of creatures, but I did find a surprising number of blue creatures, that along with double Ring of Evos Isle should make this deck rather nasty to deal with.  I did grab a couple of gems to make playing Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker possible.  But the deck is mostly solid blue.

Creatures (12):
Kraken Hatchling
Jace's Phantasm
Augur of Bolas
Welkin Tern
Watercourser
Scroll Thief x 2
Wind Drake
Clone
Talrand's Invocation
Stormtide Leviathan

Spells (5):
Unsummon
Essence Scatter
Searing Spear
Rewind x 2

Artifacts (4):
Ring of Evos Isle x 2
Gem of Becoming x 2

Planeswalker (1):

Land (18):
Mountain x 2
Swamp x 2
Island x 14

I really limited my spells to ensure I had more targets to attach the rings to.  I also wanted to make sure that I had some ways to interact with opponents cards already on the board.  Espcially when I don't have an over abundence of counter magic.  This is actually more of a blue beat down deck than anything.  The rings allow the seemingly small creatures to become threats.  The gems are there to help get to Nicol Bolas, but also to allow casting of Stormtide Leviathan, both are big time finishers if they can land and stick.

I think this deck will ultimately be too slow to really do what I would like it to.  In draft speed is often the key to any victory, but I hope that the rings help push blue's creature base beyond their controlling nature.  If you can turn the 0/4 and 1/3 bodies into 3/7 or 4/6 quickly, they will start to cause problems.  But don't let the quantity of cheap creatures fool you, this is a mid-late game focused deck.

I totally ALMOST picked up that Door to Nothingness because it's funny.  Never in a million years did I think I'd try to actually play the thing.  But with 3 Farseeks and 2 Gem of Becoming I am soooooo miffed I didn't take it!

On the other hand.  I'm still going 4-color.  YEAH BABY!

Round 1:
Talrand's Invocation Tough choice vs. spear.  4 flying for 4 vs. 3 damage for 2
Roaring Primadox Every time I have passed this card I have regretted it.
Welkin Tern Solid beater.
Vastwood Gorger Big guy for U/G
Elvish Visionary Solid early drop for U/G, oh look it works wonders with the primadox.
Bladetusk Boar I LOVE this card.  3 power intimidate is a serious closer, red can be a splash.  Tough choice between this and Scroll Thief though.
Jace's Phantasm Eh...not bad, but not great.  Nothing else here though.
Healer of the Pride Nothing yet solidifying me in my colors and again, Primadox.
Yeva's Forcemage Decent (very nice with the Yeva I pick up later).
Ring of Evos Isle Hexproof ring useful
Index Eh...it's alright.
Ring of Valkas It was either this or the door, but 1-mana haste is actually relevant.
Bountiful Harvest whatevs
Tormod's Crypt whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 2:
Searing SpearSure, I like red splash.
Arbor ElfRampy doodle dandy.  I don't need no stinkin master of the pearl trident
Yeva, Nature's Herald 4/4 Flash for 4.  Me likey.  The rest of the ability is just gravy.  Hurts to pass farseek, but Yeva's a kill spell.
Farseek Oh hey, lookey this.
Searing Spear Easy pick, I don't have anything for Mwonvuli Beast Tracker to find anyway.
Clone I never understand why this card goes this late.
Archaeomancer  I don't really have many spells for it to tag outside of the spears right now, but the rest of the pack is mediocre and getting a second use out of a spear is really nice.
Encrust Removal.
Gem of Becoming Rest of the pack is junk (I dislike counterspells...I have trouble playing them properly and this deck likes to tap out anyway).
Mind Sculpt This is potent not for looking for a mill victory but because most cards are 1-ofs in draft so if you hit a bomb with this, they likely don't have another.
Farseek O.O  It tabled...yoink.
Plummet Just in case I see something like, oh I dunno...Sublime Archangel?
Index whatevs
Hydrosurge whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 3:
Stormtide Leviathan You have no idea how big and silly my grin is right now.
Augur of Bolas Good creature, even if it often won't hit anything.
Arms Dealer Dooooooooooooood
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker O.O...;I can understand why it's still here, it's color requirement is hefty, but I already have 2 farseeks and one gem.  But more importantly I reeeeaaally don't want to pass him.  When life gives you Nicol Bolas, you take it, and you like it.
Scroll Thief Heyyy, I like you.
Encrust removal
Encrust This was a tough choice between this and Mark of Mutiny.  The mark is better, but red is a splash color and I don't want too many spells in there.
Welkin Tern Good 2-drop.  I don't really have enough targets for archaeomancer to justify a second copy.
Farseek Ooooh.  More color fixins.
Mind Sculpt Rest of the pack was garbage and my previous argument about it still stands.
Gem of Becoming Holy crap this is my second gem!  Maybe I can actually play Not-So-Little Nicky????
Disentomb What was that?  You say you killed my leviathan?  Encore! Encore!
Bloodthrone Vampire whatevs
Smelt whatevs, but it actually occurs to me that this is my only artifact removal and so may actually get sided in sometimes. XD
Mountain whatevs

Creatures (16)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
2x Searing Spear
3x Farseek
2x Gem of Becoming
1x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
[/deck]

Lands (18)
[deck]
2x Swamp
2x Mountain
6x Island
8x Forest
[/deck]

Yes it's 42 cards, but I've got 5 land fetchers, of which 2 of them fetch me 3 lands.  I think I'm okay and mostly I upped the land count in order to get enough copies of the colors of lands I need.

Creatures 16
1-1
2-4
3-3
4-6
5-0
6-1
7-0
8-1

Non-Creatures 8
1-0
2-5
3-2
4-0
5-0
6-0
7-0
8-1

Total 24
1-1
2-9
3-5
4-6
5-0
6-1
7-0
8-2

The curve fits (barely) and it's light on removal, but I get to play 4 colors and with Nicky B., so it's all good by me!

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Round 1:
Talrand's Invocation
Jace's Phantasm
Welkin Tern
Trumpet Blast
Essence Scatter
Wind Drake
Jace's Phantasm
Negate
Redirect
Ring of Evos Isle
Index
Ring of Valkas
Erase
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Searing Spear
Mind Sculpt
Vedalken Entrancer
Downpour
Safe Passage
Clone
Archaeomancer
Encrust
Negate
Smelt
Plummet
Kindled Fury
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Stormtide Leviathan
Mind Sculpt
Arms Dealer
Fog Bank
Scroll Thief
Encrust
Hellion Crucible
Welkin Tern
Tricks of the Trade
Harbor Bandit
Gem of Becoming
Rewind
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

Talrand's Invocation created a blue focus which looked good early.  Had I known Bolas was coming in P3p4, black as a second color would have been welcome.  Disappointed that I didn't get much of any card draw.  If the Jace Phantasm/Mind Sculpt synergy doesn't kick in, holding on long enough for the Stormtide Leviathan could be challenging.

Creatures (12+)
2 x Jace's Phantasm
2 x Welkin Tern
Fog Bank
Scroll Thief
Wind Drake
Vedalken Entrancer
Clone
Archaeomancer
Arms Dealer
Stormtide Leviathan

Other Spells (12-)
Kindled Fury
Ring of Evos Isle
Essence Scatter
2 x Mind Sculpt
Negate
Redirect
Searing Spear
Encrust
Tricks of the Trade
Rewind
Talrand's Invocation

Land (16)
11 Islands
4 Mountains
Hellion Crucible

Notable Sideboard
Tormod's Crypt
Hydrosurge
Index
2 x Smelt
Erase
Ring of Valkas
Downpour
Negate
Plummet
Bloodthrone Vampire
Gem of Becoming
Harbor Bandit
Encrust
Trumpet Blast
Safe Passage

Round 1:
Primal Clay
Roaring Primadox
Wind Drake
Trumpet Blast
Elvish Visionary
Wind Drake
Jace's Phantasm
Kraken Hatchling
Yeva's Forcemage
Ring of Evos Isle
Bloodthrone Vampire
Duress
Erase
Tormod's Crypt
Forest

Round 2:
Gem of Becoming
Arbor Elf
Farseek
Farseek
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Ring of Kalonia
Timberpack Wolf
Deadly Recluse
Titanic Growth
Reckless Brute
Volcanic Strength
Volcanic Strength
Kindled Fury
Hydrosurge
Forest

Round 3:
Furnace Whelp
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Centaur Courser
Fog Bank
Trumpet Blast
Slumbering Dragon
Mark of Mutiny
Canyon Minotaur
Farseek
Serpent's Gift
Kraken Hatchling
Kindled Fury
Bloodthrone Vampire
Smelt
Mountain

Had a draft online yesterday, and it went fairly well, but the matchups ended badly. The deck was solid, won a game or two but lost the rest on pure speed out of the blocks.

So here is the one from todays draft picker, I'm aware some of my choices are maybe a little crazy.

Round 1:
Krenko's Command - Talrands, Redirect and the Boar obvious choices for me, but from my experiences yesterday I wanted some speed out of the blocks.
Wall of Fire - Keeping with the Red theme its a 3 drop, nothing jumped out after my 1st pick choice here, maybe Jace's Phantasm for blue/red.
Worldfire - The obvious mythic choice, although there is another Krenko's, I decide Worldfire is too good to let others have it.
Cleaver Riot - other choices staying on colour are Ring of Valkas, Trumpet blast and a Canyon Minotaur there is also a door to nothingness but its not useful for me.
Goblin Arsonist - Only essence scatter/index useful in my mind at this point, still thoughts of a blue/red. I stay on track.
Bladetusk Boar - That Flinthoof boar has come back around and another Wall of Fire, but intimidate is too useful to ignore.
Negate - First time I'm forced to make a non-red choice. I can pick Jace's Phantasm and briefly consider how good it might be after Worldfire... I pick Negate.
Negate - Rummaging Goblin or Negate, I hate that Goblin's mechanic of discard first, too much hope. Negate is more straight up useful.
Redirect - Looky what we have here! I'll take that. Only Merfolk and Tricks of The Trade the other options staying on point.
Jace's Phantasm - Ring Of Evos Isle is here, but my deck currently has no fliers or real creature counterspells.
Ring of Evos Isle - Hey another one... although Index might be nice.
Ring of Valkas - Other options don't help at all.
Erase
Tormod's Crypt - Cheap cast after Worldfire...lol
Forest

Round 2:
Chandra's Fury - A crazy first choice, Phylactery Lich, Reliquary Tower, Gem Of Becoming (useful). Searing Spear and Fire Elemental, Negate.
Ring of Valkas - Mind Sculpt here, Master Of The Pearl Trident why didn't i pick up those Merfolk!, Tricks of the trade and Reckless Brute.
Rewind - Could be useful, Lots of red on show and tempted to  take Yeva, Nature's Herald to stop others getting it, better if it got rewound though eh?
Watercourser - Fairly solid creature with ramp effect. Downpour and Volcanic Stength other options.
Searing Spear - More merfolk available, damn my decisions! Harbor Serpent too but i'm red/blue now might not be enough land out.. Index too.
Goblin Arsonist - easy one this Hydrosurge or Goblin Arsonist.
Slumbering Dragon Oh hell...my first hard choice, Slumbering Dragon or the useful Goblin Battle Jester. I pick the Dragon for kicks and as a deterrant if out early. Crazy!!
Dragon Hatchling - It can ramp up in power and it flies...other choices were depriving someone of a Ring of Kalonia.
Gem of Becoming - Kindred Fury and Hydrosurge available. Other choices the Reliquary Tower and the Phylactery Lich.
Tricks of the Trade - Mind Sculpt or Tricks of the Trade, prefer any creature to just get better than just the Phantasm, also Elixir of Immortality.
Wild Guess - Aha, this spell says draw two and discard one in the order I like! Passing up Smelt and Volcanic Strength.
Volcanic Strength - well wouldn't you know it.... no other options worth it.
Index - Index over Kindred Fury
Hydrosurge - hmm nice.
Forest

Round 3:
Stormtide Leviathan - absolute no brainer for me. I could use it...rather someone else didnt vs me.
Augur of Bolas - passing up Dragonskull Summit, Mind Sculpt and some lesser reds.
Arms Dealer - Gem Of Becoming, Craterize, Kraken Hatchling. Arms dealer is nice for creature removal sac'ing your own.
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker WT... I could still splash black land.... passing up Rewind and Fog Bank for this.
Goblin Battle Jester - Scroll Thief, nice if paired with unblockable..chances cards come out in that order?... Goblin Battle Jester it is.
Slumbering Dragon - Another one?!? and I now have a planeswalker... Deterrent INBOUND!
Hellion Crucible -  choices of Mark Of Mutiny and Craterize?? but Its like the poor mans Demolish...
Archaeomancer - Bring back a useful spell already cast? Canyon Minotaur passed up.
Tricks of the Trade - Passed up Wild Guess and Volcanic Strength. Its a solid choice.
Wild Guess - Well thats nice ... passed up Mind Sculpt.
Gem of Becoming - Hi Nicol Bolas.... how you doin?? also only Craterize and a mountain as options...
Rewind - Yay counterspell, passed up Kindred Fury, which is an instant.
Tormod's Crypt - Exile cards from gy.... and now I have two... situational but not bad..
Smelt - Nice.
Mountain

Final Deck:

Creatures: 10

Bladetusk Boar x 1
Dragon Hatchling x 1
Goblin Arms Dealer x 1
Goblin Arsonist x 2
Jace's Phantasm x 1
Slumbering Dragon x 2 !
Wall Of Fire x 1
Watercourser x 1

Planeswalker: 1

Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker x 1

Spells: 7

Krenko's Command x 1
Negate x 2
Redirect x 1
Searing Spear x 1
Rewind x 1
Index x 1

Artifacts:  4

Gem Of Becoming x 2
Ring of Valkas x 2

Land: 18

Hellion Crucible x 1
Island x 7
Mountain x 7
Swamp x 3

Sideboard: 15

Augur of Bolas x 1
Archaeomancer x 1
Chandra's Fury x 1
Cleaver Riot x 1
Ring of Evos Isle x 1
Smelt x 1
Stormtide Leviathan x 1
Tormod's Crypt x 2
Tricks Of The Trade x 2
Volcanic Strength x 1
Wild Guess x 2
Worldfire x 1

Configuration chosen this way as the creature buff cards are quite expensive. Alternatively you could remove Nicol Bolas, Swamps and possibly the Gem's of Becoming and play pure creature ramp. Augmented by counters and buffs. There are a couple of other options for little tweaks as well.