Thri-Kreen; what do they sound like when they speak common?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I dungeon-master, if I can, I often will change my voice and manner of speaking to reflect the character that I am portraying. I give certain races different tones of voices, different sounds, etcetera.

But when it comes to the Thri-Kreen and speaking their accented form of common, (Dark Sun Campaign Setting, page 22) I'm not sure how to make them sound.

Any ideas or tips? 
When I dungeon-master, if I can, I often will change my voice and manner of speaking to reflect the character that I am portraying. I give certain races different tones of voices, different sounds, etcetera.

But when it comes to the Thri-Kreen and speaking their accented form of common, (Dark Sun Campaign Setting, page 22) I'm not sure how to make them sound.

Any ideas or tips? 

They cannot pronounce the sounds p, b, f, v, and m. However, they can make a click sound, a pop sound, a grinding sound, and a hum with a bit of buzzing. This is according to 2E Thri-Kreen of Athas,.
A good way to add distinctiveness to thri-kreen is to pronounce at least some of their K sounds as the Arabic "qaaf". It's not one of the easier Arabic sounds to learn, but it's also not the hardest (that would probably be the Daad or 'ayn). Check out some audio/videos of people speaking to understand what the sound is like. Also, even throwing in an occasional "pop" or "click" is something your players will remember; you don't have to do it every sentence.
If you can find a copy of the AD&D suppliment "Thri-kreen of Athas" it would help.  There are several guidelines on how to grind certain sounds to mimic m's, v's..  etc. 

There is also a  Kreen to English translation of some common Kreen words.

If you look hard enough, you should be able to find this book somewhere. 
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Sorry for posting in a somewhat old thread but I saw this an I immediately had something come to mind. For Kreen who are speaking Common, I imagine they sound something like the Kroot do from Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPUs6RlPnc

If you can manage to imitate that voice, I think that would do very well for a Kreen.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
and use your fingers on top of your head to kinda give the impression of antenna. since they use them alot for showing emotion, it explains that in thrikren of athas.
Sign In to post comments