Mercadian Masques block draft!

454 posts / 0 new
Last post
oh god, you really did it. 

I kinda like Boa here because for some reason in my mind I remember red not being the best. I'd be okay with Lava Runner though. precious little guy. 
I like Lunge here but I honestly don't know anything about the format.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I like Lunge here but I honestly don't know anything about the format.

Removal is pretty bad in Masques so I guess we should pick it whenever we can. So if we want to get behind Lunge I'm okay with that too. 
I have never played this set before but I would pick Lunge.  Removal is always good.
Ramosian Sergeant.  It's almost certainly the wrong card and it means committing to a certain tribe, but it just looks too fun to pass up.
This block was the last time I played magic before coming back with M13. I can't remember most of the cards either However, Lunge appears to have great value.
This block was the last time I played magic before coming back with M13. I can't remember most of the cards either However, Lunge appears to have great value.

Same thing here, except that I returned for Avacyn. Smile

Mercenary/Rebel are strong in this set. They are plentyful and call for each others.

I would go for the Ramosian Sergeant 

Intimidation: Wins the game on stalled boards.
Lunge: Removal and reach, mostly just an expensive Shock.
Deepwood Drummer: A good way to force damage through. Repeatable +2/+2 is pretty insane.
Ramosian Sergeant: Card advantage and tutoring on a one drop creature, this thing is fantastic.

I'm going to go with Ramosian Sergeant, I've always wanted to draft rebels in limited.

I was really looking forward to lorwyn and you did masques instead? not fair.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

lunge. removal shuts down the rebel-mercenary shenanigans.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Offically putting down lunge. After thinking about it, the removal in this block is so bad that you really need to draft it whenever you see it. 
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Lunge is the best here. The Sargent is worth considering.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Go me.  Never played this block, so it's nice to know I like a card worth considering before having others agree.
Lunge.
I think everyone would agree with
Lunge because removal is always nice, but I don't have much experience with this block. 
Hummmm... Rushwood Elemental, Noble Purpose.... I'm nostalgic... Embarassed
I used to play 2 Noble Purpose in a Serra Avatar mono-white deck. 12 years later, with lifelink, it didn't age that well...  

Bog Witch is probably a good choice here.
Bog Witch looks unappealing to me; I'm not a fan of discarding without drawing.

Snorting Gahr, I guess.  Creatures seem expensive in this set.
I love noble and rushwood, but I don't think they are great in this format.
I would have to say Bog Witch 
I think it's either Rampart, Quarters, or Gahr. Quarters makes blocking really hard, especially with multiple creatures, but it costs 4 and doesn't impact things directly. Rampart holds the ground while making every turn scary for our opponent and turning anything we want into a hasty beater. Gahr is just a BDG that's not all that B. for my money, Bog Witch is just too slow an accelerant. rituals are not great in Limited, but they're far better turn 1 than turn 4. Sniper plays some neat mind games in that it means we eventually win any stall, but it's too slow.

I think I'll say Gahr but I would be happy with Rampart as well.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Snorting Ghar. But I, too, have absolutely no experience with this set. Would have taken the 4/4 growing trampler, but not for that cost.
I'm going with rampart. Gahr would be good too. Hard to pick. 
As I said, I don't know this format very well, but Close Quarters seems pretty good.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

Kyren Sniper puts your opponent on a clock. I remember they worked better than expected in that regard.

D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
cards for consideration:
close quarters-keeps us on color, and might be cool, but also might just never do anything.
snorting ghar-this would be probably a reasonable creature today. In 1990's magic, this should just run people over.
Kyren sniper-on color; mediocre source of damage
battle rampart-on color, but only playable if we already have many big things to give haste to.
dehydration-bad excuse for removal, but removal regardless.

In the end I will have to choose ghar. The other choices are too situational or just not powerful, and this guy is as efficient as masques creatures get.
I'd take Dehydration its removal and nothing else seems good.
Creatures seem expensive in this set.

If you're used to post-lorwyn or especially post-M10 creatures, any from this era kind of will.  Bracketing Masques (where the 'big' creature was big for an ability, not its stats) we have Urza's block, in which Phyrexian Negator was the beatstick of choice, and Invasion block which gave us, at its best, Phyrexian Scuta and Spiritmonger.  All of those would be 'merely OK' (monger) to 'Laughable' (scuta) by modern standards, and they were the best of the best.

Now remember that Masques block is, to an extent, the Kamigawa to Urza & Invasion playing Mirrodin & Ravnica in terms of overall card quality (Though Masques, like Fallen Empires, has a lot of underappreciated gems).

So, here's my analysis so far

We're not going Rebels: We just passed the best non-rare rebel in the entire block, the base of the tutoring chain.  Any hope we had for grabbing that archetype, we passed along with her.  Since Rebels is really the way to go for white, that means we shouldn't consider white viable either.

We haven't decided what colors we *are* yet.  Personally, I don't like black in this block, though pulling an honest rit pack 1 could change my mind, since it's strongest in pack 2 (Nemesis).  Blue is pretty similar, except it's Brainstorm and Counterspell I'd want to see.  Green seems nice, as does sticking in red with our Lunge -- both are rather open colors with no pressure to go into an archetype

That said, it brings my choices to Close Quarters, Rampart, and Ghar.  the Quarters I would pick over the rampart every time at this stage.  Of the remaining two, taking the Quarters leaves Ghar in the pack with the Rushwood Elemental, signalling that green is open.  Taking the Ghar leaves the rushwood (a null tell on green -- rushwood is great but also a nightmare to cast), and leaves close Quarters when we left the Lava Runner last pack

For signalling reasons, therefore, I want Close Quarters -- I have hope that we'll be able to go decently heavy red, and Nemesis is a good pack to reap the rewards of it on.  And, it leaves us open if good black or blue stuff comes around in the next pack or three.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Kyren Sniper puts your opponent on a clock. I remember they worked better than expected in that regard.

This is correct. I drafted this set twice. However, Snorting gnarr is the best choice here.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Caller of the Hunt -- by modern rules, she's a Human, and so are a TON of creatures in the Masques block.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

talking points:
ramosian sergeant: awesome, but as someone already stated the rebel ship has already sailed.
invigorate: very powerful giant growth effect. hitting them with a combat trick when you appear to be tapped out has got to be sweet.
caller of the hunt: This one is a bit of a wild card. How big can we reasonably expect this to be most of the time? I don't remember all that much about the creature types in this format, but this has got to almost always be worse than the m13 */* white creature, crusader of odric.

I am casting my vote for invigorate. I think its probably close between this and the caller, but this trick is just so consistently powerful that I am willing to pass up a vanilla beater of indeterminate size.
I think I like Invigorate, it's like double Mutigenic Growth with no life loss!
Caller of the Hunt -- by modern rules, she's a Human, and so are a TON of creatures in the Masques block.

Just feels like cheating by drafting with the new rules in place but I think this is a good pick. Invigorate is also really good but in this format you really need to get the best creatures you can because the quality is few and far between. 
Guys, Caller of the Hunt is like a much worse Crusader of Odric, which isn't even great outside of a deck with a good number of small creatures.
ramosian sergeant I don't want anything else, and am willing to take a chance on rebels working out
Rushwood Dryad.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Guys, Caller of the Hunt is like a much worse Crusader of Odric, which isn't even great outside of a deck with a good number of small creatures.

1) Different Era -- Keldon Warlord was decent about the time of Masques
2) Counts enemy creatures, not just yours

Basically, if we accept that the Grand Creature Type Update is a thing that happened, Caller for "human" is pretty good as a standard play, and we can randomly hose tribal too.  I don't see it being a bad investment of 3 mana, ever, considering the format.

If we don't, the pickings are slim.  We do NOT -- absolutley, 100% do NOT want to take the rebel when we already passed one, since pack 2 is VERY strong for rebels and either the player to our left or the player to the left of him is basically guarenteed to be in rebels.  It's also a third color for our third pick, which is terrible.

Invigotate is so-so in limited.  It's a very constructed card, especially since we do not know at this moment whether or not our deck wants to race.  As we're in red-green, the odds are that the answer is "yes", at which point giving the opponent 3 life to 1-for-1 (pump spell for attacker/blocker) is probably not of value.  Without it's alternate play cost being useful, it's not criminally terrible, but not good either.  Flaming Sword is probably a better combat trick if that's what you're looking for (First strike rocks).

As for the dryad... It's a body, at least.  I can say that for it.