Touching up/painting dungeon command minis

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all.  I have painted metal minis in the past but never plastic.  I have a whole box of Reaper paint (water based) and was wondering if it would work on the plastic minis well.  The paint that comes on them looks oil based to me.  For instance on the Dragon Knight in Heart of Cormyr, if I wanted to repaint his sword silver.  Could I paint the reaper paint right over the gold?  How about areas where bare plastic is showing, should I prime and if so do I need special primer?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I remember painting the old minis, and I just used a mix of GW and Reaper paints without much trouble. I don't know if they've changed anything with how these figs are done though.

I'd just make sure to give them a good wash and drying, and I bet they turn out alright. 
I've painted a lot of the plastic minis, both the D&D miniatures and the D&D Adventures figures (which are solid-color plastic)...it works just fine. The only problem I've ever had is either the detail isn't as good as on a metal mini, or the original paint is applied too heavily and it obscures some details.  Over all I've never had a problem with Acrylics sticking to the plastic...but I always prime the mini first just to make sure!

To show you what I mean...here's an albumn of a plastic dragon I repainted

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.420059...

and a before-after of another plastic mini...

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.287631...
It might just be me, but the facebook links there seem to have permissions set too high. 
It might just be me, but the facebook links there seem to have permissions set too high. 

Why are they giving you the option to edit the albums?
 What's a good paint to use on the Dungeon Command minis? I was thinking of painting the bases so that it would make my Warband easier to tell from other players. Nothing flashy, but enough to distinguish them so that I don't have to wonder who's Archer belongs to who.
To tell the truth all I ever use is the cheap Folk Art or Apple Barrel paints! You can pretty much find them at any WalMart or Crafts store

Why are they giving you the option to edit the albums?

No, I don't have permission to see any of the images.
Ah, too high security...I thought you meant that it was giving you too much permission to do things, lol...lets try Flickr instead...

www.flickr.com/photos/rosaumbra/sets/721...

www.flickr.com/photos/rosaumbra/sets/721...

Ok, I don't have the blue dragon before/after up on flickr...but here's something very similar...

www.flickr.com/photos/rosaumbra/75363869...

Sign In to post comments