First Run, finally!

So I FINALLY got a group together to begin playtesting the new D&D Next.  We had our first session this evening and I have to say that overall, the game went quite well!  

We ran the Reclaiming Blingdenstone adventure and honestly never completed the first quest, but we had a ball getting there!  There was Paxi, the female dwarven fighter, Barret, the human rogue and Kora the elf wizard.  To keep things simple, we ran the pregen characters.   We nearly lost both the wizard and the rogue in one fell swoop (due to the rogue's failure to check a hall for traps, of course!) near the end of the session, but our hearty dwarfette managed to pull them out of the spiked pit and save them - just as the elf was at the end of his negative hp limit.  Huzzah!

So here are my thoughts on the subject, which I'll keep short and sweet.  
In my own opinion, I think everything is fairly well balanced.  I think the skills list should be modified a bit.  Maybe make the full list of skills available on a point-buy basis, as in previous editions, but with a small number of class skills (3-5 maybe) in addition to the specialties skills

The skills seemed to be the only drawback we really had (other than 2 near-death experiences in one round).  The monsters went down quickly...when the players were actually hitting them, but the monsters' damage in coordination with low character hp made for a good tension factor.   While it was easy to mow through a group of monsters, you still had to retain some tactic and caution, because they could mow the players almost as easily!

The healing thing was a bit awkward at first, but we adjusted fairly well.  I still prefer the idea of relying on a cleric (which we were at a lack of) or the use of potions and such to heal (which I made use of), as well as periods of rest.  

All in all, it was a glorious night, and we had a lot of fun!  Can't wait to play again next week.  This time will be a home brew adventure, and they'll be rolling up their own characters.  This should prove....interesting....
A lot of people are asking for 3.5 like skills. Where you "buy" them and whatnot. I'm just curious. Why? What is it about that system that peaks your interest so?
My two copper.

A lot of people are asking for 3.5 like skills. Where you "buy" them and whatnot. I'm just curious. Why? What is it about that system that peaks your interest so?

It just makes it easier for many players to figure out what they need to roll to accomplish certain tasks. It's probably due to the playtest not including a full skills list with the corresponding abilities, but I've been playing long enough that I usually know right off the top of my head that spot is a wisdom-based skill for instance, while many don't know for sure which ones are which.

Personally I don't mind either way. I'm just thinking of what might be easier for most players, and like the idea of each class having one or two skills that are available only to them. (currently the rogue is the only with this advantage), outside of class abilities.

It just makes it easier for many players to figure out what they need to roll to accomplish certain tasks. It's probably due to the playtest not including a full skills list with the corresponding abilities, but I've been playing long enough that I usually know right off the top of my head that spot is a wisdom-based skill for instance, while many don't know for sure which ones are which. Personally I don't mind either way. I'm just thinking of what might be easier for most players, and like the idea of each class having one or two skills that are available only to them. (currently the rogue is the only with this advantage), outside of class abilities.

Well from what I can see the basic skill checks (Now just attribute checls) have changed. Whereas they used to be very rigid, they are now somewhat malleable. Like the other night the sorcerer in my group made an Intimidate check with Str. He broke a chair in half, and based on the score was how "easy" it looked, intimidating the enemy. That kind of stuff excites me. 

As for players being confused, this is something thats true. But I think it's more confusing for older players than newer players. Most older players are used to looking in the skills section to find this information. But it is listed now in the Attributes section, where they clearly state that kinds of checks they cover. Newer players have no frame of reference, so they might adapt quicker.

It's all more about adapting to a new way of doing things in my opinion. This edition should be fresh, not copy and pasted

My two copper.
My two copper.
I have to agree with some of that, for sure. Either way it works out I'm sure it will work out well. I think they're moving in the right direction.

In every edition there have been things some players like and others disagree with, but we always find our own ways to deal with it...as the rules tell us we should
Sign In to post comments