Monk and ranged basic attack

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
You see me coming with this.

First use of DDI's Character Builder, with a monk level 1, without weapons.

Script says ...

Melee
Monk unarmed strike
+5 vs AC; 1d8+2

Ranged 
Unarmed
+2 vs AC; 1d4+2

Where is that "ranged: unarmed" coming from? Is it...range 1? Makes no sense.
Unarmed appear as a default for Basic Attacks in the Character Builder, but RAW you cannot make unarmed ranged basic attack as per the Rule Compendium, you can only make one with ranged weapons or improvised weapons since you can't make one if you don't have something throw or shoot. 

RC 239 Melee Basic Attacks: Even if it has no weapon equipped, it can make a melee basic attack using an unarmed strike (such as a kick or punch) or another improvised weapon.

RC 239 Ranged Basic Attacks: A creature can make a ranged basic attack as long as it has something throw or shoot. Even if it has no ranged weapon equipped, it can make a ranged basic attack using an improvised weapon..

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Merci Yan!

Just checked 239 and 272. Quite enlightening. 

As long as my character has a belt pouch filled with rounded stones, it can make a ranged basic attack using the stone as an improvised weapon, otherwise it has to skip the right to make a ranged basic attack when permitted. Would some rule apply about an action being required to pick up the stone? What if it were on the ground?

And since you already know more than me (yay!), has WotC elaborated on the Acrobatic Stunt, found under the Acrobatics skill? What can you pull off with it? Maybe there's some super-thread somewhere in which people list their crazy stunts with effects and DCs... ;)

P.S. By the way, the character's a she, a villichi priestess (human with Elan Heritage feat) that makes use of the Awakened background, Wilder theme, Monk class (Centered Breath tradition), and Body Equilibrium wild talent.  
Bienvenue Pennarin!

Manipulating Objects (RC 244) are usually minor actions. In this case it would be a minoir action to either Draw a Weapon (RC 245)  from your pouch, or Pick Up an Item (RC 246) on the ground.

Acrobatic Stuns are basically anything your DM will let you get away with Wink 

The Rule Compendium pg. 133 has this to say:

Improvising With Acrobatics
-Slide down a staircase on a shield while standing (hard DC)
-Summersault over a creature of the same size (hard DC)
-Swing from a chandelier (moderateDC)
-Impress onlookers with an acrobatic performance (moderate DC)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Hey sa parle en francais icit !

Yeah I would say a minor to take the stone out of the pouch unless you have something like the power fast hands, the feat quick draw or whatever.  Or I might just say you can grab and toss the stone in the same movement.  Because honestly, rule of cool.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Hey sa parle en francais icit !

Yeah I would say a minor to take the stone out of the pouch unless you have something like the power fast hands, the feat quick draw or whatever.  Or I might just say you can grab and toss the stone in the same movement.  Because honestly, rule of cool.

La règle du frais ? Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada

bin oui !  C simple de meme a ma table ^_^
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Yan
Montréal, Canada

The unarmed ranged attack you see in the builder is basically what it shows when your character would have to make an improvised ranged attack due to having no other viable options. It assumes that you'll have SOMETHING to throw.