Questions to ask at the cup

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm going to do my best to setup some interview at the cup so if you want something asked please let me know.  I'm assuming all questions will have to be approved but there is no harm in at least asking right?  Erik Friborg did the same thing as he cared a lot about the future of the game as you can see here: puremtgo.com/coverage/community_cup

Please list all questions below and if there is a specific staffer you would like me to ask make a note of that.  
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
New Client -

When?

That is all
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
"Can we expect to get Commander's Arsenal online?"

"Have observations of Diablo 3's new auction house mechanics given you any insights into the future of trading on mtgo?"
Are there any plans for any kind of multiplayer or team events or queues?

Are there any plans to expand cube drafting?

Will it be possible to own some of the alternate art cards that are only available to use with phantom cube drafts, such as the alt. art dual lands?  promos?  ME5?

4-player cube draft resulting in a 2HG match would be AWESOME - ask if that's a possibility.

Re: Commander's Arsenal, I think the product would have to be significantly altered (or reduced in price) to be online viable, the reason being that there's so much non-card physical product associated with it.  Really the only part of it that works online, at least as far as I can tell, is the 18 foil cards.
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
Will it be possible to own some of the alternate art cards that are only available to use with phantom cube drafts, such as the alt. art dual lands?  promos?  ME5?

They've already started giving away cube art cards as promos. Hymn / regrowth / monolith / sylvan library have all been released. Karakas is an upcoming judge promo in paper. They'll get there, just takes time.
4-player cube draft resulting in a 2HG match would be AWESOME - ask if that's a possibility.

Re: Commander's Arsenal, I think the product would have to be significantly altered (or reduced in price) to be online viable, the reason being that there's so much non-card physical product associated with it.  Really the only part of it that works online, at least as far as I can tell, is the 18 foil cards.

Maybe, maybe not...depends what those 18 cards are.  Anyway, 2 of the cards already spoiled (command tower, mimeo) do not have corresponding foils online, so us foil addicts will buy it no matter what...don't judge just take our money.
Do they have any plans to allow users to develop there own clients? or have offical scantioned addons?

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

I have a ton of questions I would ask.... Doubt they would answer very many of them though..

1: When and how are we getting Power 9?

2: What is the future of Masters Edition and the remaining 800 or so unreleased cards/arts?

3: What happened to regular OOP drafts?

4: Can we at least try to add 64 man draft to the regular Schedule of events? (Fire on demand or at least have an Orc be able to create additional ones when they fill up)

5: What can/will Wotc do to support Legacy/vintage tournament play on MTGO?

6: When do you plan on getting around to programming splits back into the client? Or are you reneging on the promise you made to program them back in?

7: Fractional tickets? Never going to happen?

8: GP MTGO? Seriously can we have a much better payout with a much higher threshold to fire? How many people can you get into one event under current client before you worry about stability?

9: What are the planned improvements to the beta client? Some of the major ones any way that we can look forward to?

10: Any plans to add support for player run events? (Where MTGO handles pairings)

Ok those are the first ten that popped into my head... I'm sure ill think of more.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Trade limit, you were probably going to ask that already but now you have another excuse.
Do they have any plans to allow users to develop there own clients? or have offical scantioned addons?

When and how are we getting Power 9?

Trade limit, you were probably going to ask that already but now you have another excuse.

I second those!

I second those!

While I suspect the answer to this question is no, maybe the following would give us some insight:
"Is there an internal resistance to an api for select client functionaly on principle, or would it simply require too many development resources?"
When are leagues coming back?

While I suspect the answer to this question is no, maybe the following would give us some insight:
"Is there an internal resistance to an api for select client functionaly on principle, or would it simply require to many development resources?"

If this was not identified and prioritised as a requirement when the client was first designed, then it's probably impossible to retrofit it.

"Is there an internal resistance to an api for select client functionaly on principle, or would it simply require to many development resources?"

If this was not identified and prioritised as a requirement when the client was first designed, then it's probably impossible to retrofit it.

I fail to see why, if developement resources are devoted to it, it could be accomplished...be it dirty or clean.

But that's not really the point...v4 is v4...I simply would like to know the relationship that the digital team would ideally like to have with the developement community in it's customer base. Is arms length through an api at all attractive, or is completely unsuported through automation what we should expect forever?
Great questions so far!  Just try to remember this is just a place for listing questions for me to ask and not for debating them. ;)
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Still looking for more questions.
PureMTGO.com
Will we ever be allowed to advertise/discuss PRE's in public (in the client)? Or are we always going to be the redheaded stepchild locked in the closet?

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Have WOTC considered adding voice communication functionality to MTGO? 

How customisable is it planned to make the appearance of the new client? I prefer light colours rather than the current sombre colour schemes? Also, I would like to be able to theme the client to my choice of card (Rumbling Slum) rather than WOTC's planeswalkers. 

How often do the Development team play MTGO? 

Why is the Cube announced at such short notice?

Any plans for a DOTP tie- in with MTGO (or the other way around for that matter)?  
Are there any further plans for the lifetime player rewards concept? It was announced but little has happened (if I recall, promo Hero of Bladehold &, er, Warmonger?)?

Will it ever be possible to combine your DCI number and MTGO account?

I second those!

"Is there an internal resistance to an api for select client functionaly on principle, or would it simply require too many development resources?"

If I understand this question correctly, I would also like to see an answer to this question.  I would love to see players be able to host their own tournaments, add invite lists, add additional prizes, and have Magic Online run it like a normal sanctioned tournament.

I second those!

If I understand this question correctly, I would also like to see an answer to this question.  I would love to see players be able to host their own tournaments, add invite lists, add additional prizes, and have Magic Online run it like a normal sanctioned tournament.

No, you didn't understand the question correctly.  They are talking about customizable interfaces, as in how the games looks.

You're question is a completely separate matter (and a good question!)

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I had a few questions regarding the use of micro-prizes such as war marks, qualifier points, and cube tickets.  In general, I believe that these items have great potential, but they haven't been used very effectively.  Untradeable objects are a good way to keep track of status such as with qualifier points, but they often run counter to the spirit of a trading card game environment. 

What are your thoughts on non-tradeable micro-prizes such as war marks and cube tickets?

Are there any plans for future micro-prizes?

Is it possible to have micro-prizes to can be used in ante' matches?

Is there a possibility for a free tournament that gives out only micro-prizes in the future?

Can we have micro-prizes that are redeemable in large quantities in the store for a pack or something like that?

Can we have micro-prizes that are redeemable in large quantities in the store for a pack or something like that?

I'd happily trade away all 8 of the war marks that are stranded in my account for a single ticket, were it possible to do so.
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
Historically, the prices of popular queues do not change often. Do you ever consider if certain queues would be more profitable if their entry fees were lowered, due to an increase in firing rate? For example, knocking down the entry fee of a typical draft from two tickets to just one or zero.

How do you feel about the recent boom in Magic Online live streaming? Particularly, what do you think of the ethics of virtually playing with the assistence of hundreds of viewers?

When will there be a mtgo-only Un set with wacky cards that could only be implemented on mtgo?
When will Rocket launcher be released online? 

What's with the F.O.W. promo card I see in the editor?

Will the new client allow for restricting/banning individual cards in 2hg like in paper?  www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx...  (personally I think the serra ascendant is worse than erayo but it would be good to try and get the sync between online and paper like limiting 4 copies of any card to a team, or the whole team takes another turn on a time walk, a group attack/defense, ability to equip onto a partner's creature, ect.  This would also help pave the way for future rated events)
"They were civilized they even drank their blood from a cup"→James Silke/Frank Frazzeta "When the Cryptkeeper sticks 'em they tend to stay stuck"→Cryptkeeper "Do not blame the current developers if there is something you don't like about Magic Online. Chances are no one asked the developers for their opinion."→elf "They just look at me like I'm stupid and then I just say something like well you know WOTC does some dumb things sometimes."→wilmheath "Like just about everything I've experienced with MTGO and the Magic WotC website, I'm finding it difficult to..."→0rbit "the more general question is: at what point does an easily fixable interface issue become a defect?"→silentbobus "Imagine, only four years later and I almost have as much functionality as I used to."→Algona "WotC, you make an awesome game, why do you have to suck so bad at letting people have a fun time?"→MTGKaioshin "If you are all about playing as many games as possible as fast as possible and you KNOW you have me beat, then concede and move on"→Johnh2005 "Wow. You're a real pleasure to help. Good luck figuring it out by yourself."→tempesteye "2hg brokest of the broke"→Me, Myself & I "It's you against the shuffler."→jwark "this look like freeware that some kid down the street crafted up"→ProtossX "ask them if the world came to an economic end tomorrow, whether they think little printed pieces of paper could be traded for actual goods or services"→dangerlinto "You still have time before the buggy, non user friendly beta is shoved down your throat"→theminer575 Server status→ http://www.wizards.com/magic/magiconlineserverstatus.asp Love or hate me I was brought to you courtesy of V3!
I don't want to steal any of wilmheath's questions, but I'm curious about this:

How customisable is it planned to make the appearance of the new client? I prefer light colours rather than the current sombre colour schemes? Also, I would like to be able to theme the client to my choice of card (Rumbling Slum) rather than WOTC's planeswalkers. 

While the themes revolve around planeswalkers at the moment, I'm wondering if you tried using the lighter colored options such as the Ajani or Gideon Jura themes?

Ajani

Gideon Jura 

If you tried but didn't like them, then maybe a little more clarification will help the MTGO team answer your question.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Another question.
Can you ask if they can tell us monthly usage figures. Or quartarly. Either unique users or peak user numbers. Or even number of games played.
I know Algona used to keep track of event numbers, but I think he stopped. And I know I've seen a graph somewhere of the number of people in the various rooms. But both of these are not possible with the new client.
Just a couple of lines at the end of the "regular" quarterly up dates would be nice.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Untradeable objects are a good way to keep track of status such as with qualifier points, but they often run counter to the spirit of a trading card game environment. 

That's another one that I am also interested. Would it be possible to make untradable items tradable again? I would like to get rid of some of the untradables...

I don't want to steal any of wilmheath's questions, but I'm curious about this:

While the themes revolve around planeswalkers at the moment, I'm wondering if you tried using the lighter colored options such as the Ajani or Gideon Jura themes?

Ajani

Gideon Jura 

If you tried but didn't like them, then maybe a little more clarification will help the MTGO team answer your question.

Sean - This has been one of my pet peeves since I first installed MTGO back on 1.0.  The theme is always dark and depressing and looks like it was taken off a page from D&D(no offense to D&D players out there).  Why does it always have to be such a dark and depressing looking program?  While I understand that appeals to some players why not give us a choice between themes?  The current themes only change around a few things but you still have that overlying dark theme thing going on.

PureMTGO.com
I can't remember if anyone said this already, but....

How about asking if they can give a little more information about selling MTGO cards on eBay.  I know we've kinda already gotten a response, but....anything else we can be told about it?

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
My questions mainly revolve around leagues and the development update last seen in March:

1. Can we get a new development update?
   a. The last development update lists a Q4 "Feature/Infrastructure" bundle; can we get the details (considering at the time of the cup we will be nearly 1/3 of the way into Q4)?

2. Can we get a real update on leagues? All we have now are vague "in the future" and "different than last time".

3. What is the target date for leagues? In the aforementioned update, leagues were to be built with some infrastructure and tournament management updates, scheduled to begin early Q4. By the cup, it will basically be past early Q4 so work should have begun at least on getting the project "scoped and scheduled", so in theory there should be at least a loose target date.

4. Why has it taken nearly a decade for leagues to even begin work in earnest? I know it was "low priority" but that is just such a long time.

5. I also would like to know more about the eBay thing.

EDIT: 6. I just though of another: Why can't we use product for the release 16 player sealed?

Question to you Heath: Are you going to post the answers to any questions here, or elsewhere?

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

Question to you Heath: Are you going to post the answers to any questions here, or elsewhere?

My plan was to turn them into an article for puremtgo and post them here.  I'm open to ideas though.
PureMTGO.com
well for starters you can ask why i cant use my rtr release event pack to enter the rtr release event sealed swiss
A while ago, Worth discussed the possibility of an API for the MTGO client.  I think we were promised an answer at some point, but that point has never come.  

That's actually what most people want when they discuss their desires to modify the client on their end.  Given an API, then outside programmers could develop addons for MTGO, much like those used in WoW.

This already happens to some extent with the 'bots that run many of the trade fronts you see in the Classifieds today.  I believe that having an official API is better than not having one, and relying upon outside programs with an executable (like 'bots) interface with the MTGO client.

Bottom line: "What is the possibility of an official API for the MTGO client?"

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
Going back to my own point about prize splits....

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!

My plan was to turn them into an article for puremtgo and post them here.  I'm open to ideas though.

That sounds great, I just wanted to know where to keep an eye out for them!

Myths of Theros: Part 1, Part 2, Born of the Gods Myths

Beta Client, "Shiny", V4.0 tutorial

Momir Basic Primer

Will we have improved trade system?

quotes froms user Stoned in other thread:

Also, the search system in the classifieds is terrible. It could easily be improved:

• use of and/or and "quotes" (like every other search enging).

• seperate selling and buying (if I want to buy a card, I don't want to look through the buying adds as well)

• highlight the searched words (so I can easily find the card I'm looking for in the wall of text that usually appears)

Heath this has likely already been stated, but I would love to ask the question again!
When are we gretting the Power 9.  
why not more 64-man drafts?

I would like to know what the future holds for the oop drafts/sealeds. Since they seem to be fading away into obscurity.