Dungeon Command dungeon tiles in 3D

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I used Hirst Arts molds to make the first two Dungeon Command dungeon tile sets. Up next: either the Tyranny of Goblins dungeon tiles, or maybe I'll take a break and make the wilderness sets. Let me know what you think!

www.rovingbandofmisfits.com/2012/09/dung...

Check out my blog over at Roving Band of Misfits, or follow me on Twitter
I love HA, and I think what you have here is pretty awesome. 

To your question about stairs. The word I got from a judge at PAX Prime is that there is infact a wall (I used it to hide my priestess when I knew that there wasn't too much threat of a Behind Enemy Lines).

Anyway, do you have plans to make the same sort of set for the opposite sides? HA might not be the right tools... maybe instead just some foam and flock.
Yes, I'm planning on doing the wilderness sides. I'm mostly waiting to get a hot foam cutter. It will be tricky because I'm going to need to get all the edges perfectly straight and square, and it seems like the foam cutter is the way to go for that sort of thing. Once I have that tool though, I'm expecting the wilderness sides to go more quickly than the dungeon sides. I already have ideas for the hazardous and blocking terrain bits.
To your question about stairs. The word I got from a judge at PAX Prime is that there is infact a wall (I used it to hide my priestess when I knew that there wasn't too much threat of a Behind Enemy Lines).

The rules state "indoor walls are marked with solid black squares or a thick black line between squares." There is, in fact, a thick black line along the long edge of the stairwell that I had not noticed until now.

The rules state "indoor walls are marked with solid black squares or a thick black line between squares." There is, in fact, a thick black line along the long edge of the stairwell that I had not noticed until now.

It's a nifty trick for hiding pieces (or at least gaining cover).

To the terrain pieces. I don't know exactly how they elevation changes line up with other pieces, but I'd be careful to make sure that all of the valid combinations of tile placement line up. (hopefully that makes sense). I was initially thinking you could just lay a bigger piece of foam out, and then cut out the features... but you really want the edges to be able to be rotated and swapped. 

Anyway, I hope to see them! :D 
I've posted the next installment of these tiles - the Tyranny of Goblins set!

www.rovingbandofmisfits.com/2012/10/dung... 
Just wondering, did you consider for the temple making the interior of the tile the higher elevation. Would solve the need for risers.Wink
D&D Encounters Post-game Show podcast! http://gelatinouscubed.net/podcast-episodes/
I think it is supposed to be raised, as the darker, shadowy part of a stair usually denotes the lower elevation.  It works as a depression, though.  It's almost like a surgery theater for demonic sacrifice.  And, either way, there's an elevation differential.  The area behind the doors is level with the main stage--not with the other edges.

I am curious how minis stand on the stairs, though, especially the Large ones.
Yes, there's a need for risers either way. You know, I've spent a lot of time staring at that tile since someone on BoardGameGeek pointed that out to me... I can see the stairs both ways. Like one of those optical illusions that, if you stare at long enough, looks like something else. *shrug* Smile

There's an extra piece I made that you put on the stairs when you need to stand a mini on them. It's basically a piece that looks like inverted stairs that fits on top of them.
Hreth.

Please take a look at the stairs on Goblins 1 again, use a magnifying glass if necessary. I'm afraid there's no thick black line. The effect you are seeing is from the art and specifically the shadow of the bottom step.

This is confirmed by two things: one walls cannot be walked through without burrow / Secret Passage. A wall there would mean very few creatures could use the stairs and you would not be able to use attacks on creatures on the opposite side.

Also take a look at Hero 4, Drow 3 and Goblins 4: there is a thick black line on these pieces that does not block any squares, only movement between them.