New to D&D :)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all

I'm here following a conversation with someone RE dungeons and dragons, basically, i'm interested in possibly playing, but would like to discuss rules etc with real people instead of just reading the rule book (which confused me a little if i'm honest)

I'd like to know how to start out etc, i have never played, so am a complete noob! How do i choose a character? how does a game start etc? how do  i choose a skill?

as you can see, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks all,
Rach x
Howdy Manlings_favourite,

I have moved this thread to the D&D 4E General Discussion forum where you are more likely to get the feedback you are looking for.

Good luck and welcome to D&D!   

All around helpful simian

Howdy Manlings_favourite,

I have moved this thread to the D&D 4E General Discussion forum where you are more likely to get the feedback you are looking for.

Good luck and welcome to D&D!   

Thank you x
It's really easier to help if you have understood the basics and just have problems with details.

That said, searching google, I found this: greywulf.net/2010/11/greywulfs-guide-to-...
First off, welcome!

1. What rule book are you working with? (This will make it easier to suggest things for you.)
2. Is there a particular race and/or class that appeals to you?

To answer your last question, a game 'starts' when there are five or more people all ready to play - one who will act as sort of a 'referee' and four or more who will play using a character they created.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
First off, welcome!

1. What rule book are you working with? (This will make it easier to suggest things for you.)
2. Is there a particular race and/or class that appeals to you?

To answer your last question, a game 'starts' when there are five or more people all ready to play - one who will act as sort of a 'referee' and four or more who will play using a character they created.

i like elves and i like orks.. O.o are there wood elves, dark elves etc? Or just one type? Are orks playable? Umm, i've actually lost the page i was reading the rules from, i'm pretty sure it was on this site, but now can't find it :/
Maybe here?
www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=new/l...

Dark elves = drow. It's rather half-orcs that are playable.
In the current version of D&D, there are technically four kinds of elves:
- Elf (wood elf)
- Drow (dark elf)
- Half-Elf (or half-human, depending on who you talk to!)
- Eladrin (high elf - these are elves who mainly live in the land of Faerie)

Orcs are technically playable, but as Mysteria mentioned, you'd be better served playing a half-orc.

This may seem like a cop-out, but I really do recommend picking up 'Heroes of the Fallen Lands.' It's $13.57 at Amazon and a really nice book for beginners. It has all the classic races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, and Half-Elf) and classes (Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, and two types of Fighter).

So...making a character. The two primary things you need to choose are your race and class. Your class sort of determines how you fight, what skills you can choose (and how many), among other things. For instance...

• The 'Fighter' can wear most types of armor and use most types of weapons and shields. They're tough, can hit enemies hard with melee attacks, and are capable of keeping the enemy's attention away from weaker allies. Their skill list is limited mostly to physical acts.

• The 'Cleric' can wear armor almost as well as a Fighter, but have a more limited selection of weapons and shields. They use divine prayers to heal allies, smite enemies with melee attacks, or blast enemies with ranged magical attacks. Their skill list includes more knowledge-type skills, like Religion. As a bonus, they can use some non-combat magic called rituals.

• The 'Rogue' wears lighter armor than the Cleric, and are even more limited in terms of weapons. They are physically vulnerable, but use a combination of melee and ranged attacks to hit enemies really hard. Their skill list is expansive, covering stuff like thievery & street-smarts.

• The 'Wizard' wears the weakest armor, and hasn't much of a weapon selection. They are the most vulnerable of the four listed here, but can wield arcane magic to blast, charm, or trick large groups of enemies. Since wizards are bookish, their skill list is mostly focused on knowledge. Like clerics, they also can use non-combat magic.

Once you pick your race & class, then you can generate about your Ability Scores - six numeric scores, ranging from 3-18, that define your character's base capabilities. The text for your class will flat-out tell you which ones are important for you.

• Strength is how physically strong you are.

• Constitution is how tough and durable you are.

• Dexterity is how agile and coordinated you are.

• Intelligence measures how quickly you adapt / learn, and how well you remember.

• Wisdom measures awareness and empathy.

• Charisma measures your strength of personality.

In the book I mentioned above, they give you a few basic 'arrays' to work with - six numbers, enough for you assign one to each ability score. There are two other options to creating ability scores, but I'm not sure I can mention them. Smile

4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Thank you both, i will defo purchase that book xx

Base on your preferences you might also pick up Heroes of the Forgetten Kingdom.  Same price as Heroes of the Falling Lands and about 1/3 of the material is identical, but it will give you access to more races including drow, half orc, and dragonborn; and give you more classes like paladins, rangers, druids, and warlocks.  The two books kinda go together.  Also look at the Rules Compendium, which is a similar digest soft back book.

TjD

Hello all

I'm here following a conversation with someone RE dungeons and dragons, basically, i'm interested in possibly playing, but would like to discuss rules etc with real people instead of just reading the rule book (which confused me a little if i'm honest)

I'd like to know how to start out etc, i have never played, so am a complete noob! How do i choose a character? how does a game start etc? how do  i choose a skill?

Thanks all,
Rach x

What I would reccomend is finding a group to play with, which is step 1. D&D is a social game, and a skilled Dungeon Master (the referee) can walk you through all the steps of character creation and might have books they can let you read. 

Try looking at your local games store if you have one, ask around there. If you're lucky, the place where you might buy gaming books might also run the D&D Encounters program (every Wednesday night) which is a great place to learn the very basics of the game.

Additionally, this website is all about helping gamers find other gamers and gaming groups:
www.enworld.org/forum/gamersseekinggamer...

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Hello all

Thanks all,
Rach x

What I would reccomend is finding a group to play with, which is step 1. D&D is a social game, and a skilled Dungeon Master (the referee) can walk you through all the steps of character creation and might have books they can let you read. 

Try looking at your local games store if you have one, ask around there. If you're lucky, the place where you might buy gaming books might also run the D&D Encounters program (every Wednesday night) which is a great place to learn the very basics of the game.

Additionally, this website is all about helping gamers find other gamers and gaming groups:
www.enworld.org/forum/gamersseekinggamer...

Yeah, if there is an Encounters group near you that would be a place to start. The locator can tell you where the nearest one is.

Of course starting a group could be fun. If you are in school that might not be too hard, you may find a teacher/faculty member that will help out with that (there may already be a club, some places do have them). MOST areas do have gamer clubs of one sort or another too. Libraries sometimes have groups (I know for instance my sister is a librarian and she's put together groups for younger people from time-to-time at the city library where she works). Game stores are of course the most likely place to try, if there's one near you.
That is not dead which may eternal lie