Am I alone in thinking that Return to Ravnica is awful?

94 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys and gals, I looked over the unoffical spoiler earlier today for RtR and got admit I am disapointed, from a design point the set doesn't have me thinking that we are back in Ravnica at all (well besides the shock lands reprints), the mechanics of the set feel like they are "half baked" ideas and certainly don't feel flavorful in my opinion. 
Yeah, ok.
That's your opinion, and if you don't say why you think so (or don't have a reason for it), it's hard to say anything. Its a pitty, but it's impossible to please everyone. I like the vibe of the set overall and can say that I'm far from disappointed. The only thing I don't really like is the style they've picked for the packages.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
What's wrong with the mechanics? The only one I don't really care for is Selensya's, but that's just because I don't care much for token themes.
You are not alone, OP. I'm certainly not upset about Return to Ravnica. I haven't been "upset" about a set since Kamigawa or Avacyn Limited.

Return to Ravnica appears to be nothing more than a piss-poor attempt to grab players with the power and nostalgia of the original Ravnica. However, while it does have Dreadbore and Abrupt Decay, the "power" seems to just be raw "this card is good" without any of the interesting tricks or synergy or je ne sais quoi that come with truly desirable power. The Limited format seems acceptable, but for constructed purposes, I'd be willing to trade it with any of the block starters of the past seven years.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Populate; Just awful, I don't like the mechanic as it might as well say to copy the best creature token on the battlefield at the time.

Detain; Seriously wizards did your modded Kor Hookmaster need to be turned into a mechanic?

Scavange; I kinda like this but why can't I scavange at instant speed would make a far more strategic element to the game.

And any other mechanics are that good I can't even think of them.
Why does every other card say it can't be countered when there aren't good counterspells in Standard anyway?

Other than that the set seems ok, nothing could have lived up to the hype surrounding Ravnica 2.
The end is always nigh.
Populate; Just awful, I don't like the mechanic as it might as well say to copy the best creature token on the battlefield at the time.

Detain; Seriously wizards did your modded Kor Hookmaster need to be turned into a mechanic?

Scavange; I kinda like this but why can't I scavange at instant speed would make a far more strategic element to the game.

And any other mechanics are that good I can't even think of them.

It surprises me that you don't mention Unleash. Out of the mechanics, it just feels like the most unnecessary and thrown-together-in-haste of the ones used. I really don't like it and consider it to be one of the major factors Rakdos just feels dull because in Rakdos you don't want to block anyway, it makes no sense strategicaly and flavorfuly. So the mechanic could just be removed and the creatures have their P/T bumped by 1 in the card and not be able to block.

Show
Surely by that I don't mean it's unplayable. The 1/1 with it for :brm: is neat and all, but it just fells stupid because of the reason mentioned above.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Why does every other card say it can't be countered when there aren't good counterspells in Standard anyway?

Other than that the set seems ok, nothing could have lived up to the hype surrounding Ravnica 2.



A five card cycle is hardly "every other card" out of ~250 cards. But I agree, there is some kind of disconnect between this and the lack of playable counters in the set. Maybe it was done with eternal formats in mind, since Delver aggro/control decks have sprung up to dominance (from my limited understanding) in Modern and Legacy.

Syncopate will see play because Mana Leak is rotating. I don't really see a reason for Counterflux (the Overload counterspell) to be played in Standard, outside of SBs, unless control (and thus counter-wars) becomes more viable, but it does combat storm in eternal formats. 

After rotation, the only other playable counters we will have are Rewind, Dissipate, and Negate out of the SB, none of which are impressive enough to warrant hosing.

Edit: On the topic of the guild mechanics, Scavenge is ok, I'm definitely looking forward to using it at the prerelease(s), which are probably the only time I will play Limited in the foreseeable future. Overload is awesome despite its aesthetic downfall of needing "...you don't control" tacked on to every card. Populate is ok, and certainly could be powerful, but is a predictable design (like a balanced Proliferate for tokens, something I'm sure many have thought of already). Detain and Unleash seem like they will play nicely in Limited, but also seem utterly boring (as someone who doesn't really play Limited). I also feel like they could have explored more design space for Unleash, and hope there will be an opportunity to in the third set, if not in GTC.
You are not alone, OP. I'm certainly not upset about Return to Ravnica. I haven't been "upset" about a set since Kamigawa or Avacyn Limited.

Return to Ravnica appears to be nothing more than a piss-poor attempt to grab players with the power and nostalgia of the original Ravnica. However, while it does have Dreadbore and Abrupt Decay, the "power" seems to just be raw "this card is good" without any of the interesting tricks or synergy or je ne sais quoi that come with truly desirable power. The Limited format seems acceptable, but for constructed purposes, I'd be willing to trade it with any of the block starters of the past seven years.


My favorite blocks: Masques + Kamigawa
My favorite blocks: Masques + Kamigawa


Masques is dah bomb. I was more upset with Kamigawa for flavor reasons than anything else. Drafting Kamigawa a while later was actually super-fun.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Hi guys and gals, I looked over the unoffical spoiler earlier today for RtR and got admit I am disapointed, from a design point the set doesn't have me thinking that we are back in Ravnica at all (well besides the shock lands reprints), the mechanics of the set feel like they are "half baked" ideas and certainly don't feel flavorful in my opinion. 

I  disagree with the topic post. Mainly because non-zombie Rakdos aggro looks like its actually valid (despite what it looked like at first and I even raged about it for a bit. I was premature.)

I like the  set so far, although I admit that selesnya  and izzet don't look too hot for constructed. 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
Hi guys and gals, I looked over the unoffical spoiler earlier today for RtR and got admit I am disapointed, from a design point the set doesn't have me thinking that we are back in Ravnica at all (well besides the shock lands reprints), the mechanics of the set feel like they are "half baked" ideas and certainly don't feel flavorful in my opinion. 

I  disagree with the topic post. Mainly because non-zombie Rakdos aggro looks like its actually valid (despite what it looked like at first and I even raged about it for a bit. I was premature.)

I like the  set so far, although I admit that selesnya  and izzet don't look too hot for constructed. 


I agree.  I can't truly evaluate it until I actually play with the cards, but I think it'll be good.  I'm wary of Unleash being limited to...limited, but other than that, I like it.  I have a feeling, however, that Azorius is going to run away with standard. 

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

The 1/1 with it for :brm: is neat and all, but it just feels stupid because of the reason mentioned above.


The 1/1 with unleash is neat because it's really a 2/2 that can't block. A 1/1 for :brm: is possibly one of the least exciting cards I could think of. Even then it isn't exciting compared to either Goblin Guide, Diregraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler, Spikeshot Elder, Vexing Devil, or even Signal Pest. Sadly it is the most relevant Unleash card I can think of off the top of my head.

The only mechanic that is exciting to me is Overload, and I hate that it IS always stipulated that it hits each X you don't control. To me it feels much more in flavor for Izzet's big overblown experiments to hit everything. We can either control these mortars to hit a target or overload them and take out everything. Mad science isn't about control.

Maybe it's just the last few days of limited fodder speaking, but this set hasn't really warmed me over the way I was expecting. I think it has more to do with Wizards taking modern and EDH into account more when making cards. The cards don't feel like they could find a home elsewhere, they all feel engineered towards a specific environment.

Unrelated: Why is does hybrid mana follow a completely different switch set?
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I too have some slight worries about the set. Rakdos' keyword really doesn't feel very "Rakdosy" and something else more dangerous and agressive woudl have been preferred but who knows until we actually play the set.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
Unrelated: Why is does hybrid mana follow a completely different switch set?

You shot who in the what now?
Thank you guys for the replys so glad to see I am not alone with thinking that RtR isn't really a great set and feels a little out of flavour for what the landscape that was set out by the orignal Ravinica set. I have to agree with the post that says RtR seems to be trying to please too many masters and too many formats that all flavour seems to have been ignored.
Anyone who really thought it would be Ravinca 2.0 was seriously kidding themselves.  The set isnt bad and looks like it will at least be interesting to play.  Its honestly looking better than I expected given the current trend of standard card design.  I think a lot of people just got their hopes up.

 

Anyone who really thought it would be Ravinca 2.0 was seriously kidding themselves.  The set isnt bad and looks like it will at least be interesting to play.  Its honestly looking better than I expected given the current trend of standard card design.  I think a lot of people just got their hopes up.


It's not unrealistic to have believed Return to Ravnica would be Ravnica 2.0. Because that was obviously the intention. Wizards just got it wrong.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Anyone who really thought it would be Ravinca 2.0 was seriously kidding themselves.  The set isnt bad and looks like it will at least be interesting to play.  Its honestly looking better than I expected given the current trend of standard card design.  I think a lot of people just got their hopes up.


It's not unrealistic to have believed Return to Ravnica would be Ravnica 2.0. Because that was obviously the intention. Wizards just got it wrong.

Yeah, but on the other hand people were asking for literally all cards from the first set to be reprinted so they could get their hands on them. The problem is that his Ravnica is more of the same and done worse combined with the fact that everybody had unrealistic expectations. 
The impact of the uncounterable cards might not be felt until the next block or cycle of cards is released. It's not all about the past and the here and now, they look towards the future as well.
Detain; Seriously wizards did your modded Kor Hookmaster need to be turned into a mechanic?



I'm sure you mean Arrest.

Populate: Is either broken or pointless.

Unleashed: +1/+1 in exchange for not blocking? This would be fine, if they didn't cost it as if it had +1/+1 and could block.*

Overload: Yay, Timmy gets something in the colors not usually associated with Timmy.

Scavenge: Playable, but it's at sorcery speed, and the scavenge cost seems a bit high to me.

*There's a huge development problem out there. No French vanilla 5/5 is worth 7 mana unless one of the keywords is double strike (and even then, I can point to Phyrexian Vatmother) or maybe hexproof.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Detain; Seriously wizards did your modded Kor Hookmaster need to be turned into a mechanic?



I'm sure you mean Arrest.


Populate: Is either broken or pointless.

Unleashed: +1/+1 in exchange for not blocking? This would be fine, if they didn't cost it as if it had +1/+1 and could block.*

Overload: Yay, Timmy gets something in the colors not usually associated with Timmy.

Scavenge: Playable, but it's at sorcery speed, and the scavenge cost seems a bit high to me.

*There's a huge development problem out there. No French vanilla 5/5 is worth 7 mana unless one of the keywords is double strike (and even then, I can point to Phyrexian Vatmother) or maybe hexproof.



Either WoTC has misprinted every card with Detain on or you need to go to specsavers as I am pretty sure the detain ability although modded sounds closer to Kor Hookmaster than Arrest.

As for my thoughts on Overload and Unleash.

Overload; so we get a new modded version of the kicker cost but oh look the cost of the overload is just dumb, also why does every card with overload have the "you don't control" text seems odd,

Unleash; Wow a whole +1/+1 to have it not be able to block that sounds like a bargian WoTC sign me up .. (sarcasm)
Overload is actually playable.

The reason it has the "you don't control" text is so you're willing to play it. Apostle's Blessing has "you control" text so you don't totally hose "good" auras along with the bad, and get some tempo on equipment.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This feels a lot like the old ravnica: Great art and flavor, some really great cards, but also a lot of really bad cards. The original ravnica block wasn't all amazing cards you know. I think everyone is just spoiled.

Great set wizards
Why does every other card say it can't be countered when there aren't good counterspells in Standard anyway?

Other than that the set seems ok, nothing could have lived up to the hype surrounding Ravnica 2.



Does anybody else get giddy when you see/hear a blue player complaining about their counters are countered?  Especially if its only on a few cards or very narrow?
Detain; Seriously wizards did your modded Kor Hookmaster need to be turned into a mechanic?



I'm sure you mean Arrest.


Populate: Is either broken or pointless.

Unleashed: +1/+1 in exchange for not blocking? This would be fine, if they didn't cost it as if it had +1/+1 and could block.*

Overload: Yay, Timmy gets something in the colors not usually associated with Timmy.

Scavenge: Playable, but it's at sorcery speed, and the scavenge cost seems a bit high to me.

*There's a huge development problem out there. No French vanilla 5/5 is worth 7 mana unless one of the keywords is double strike (and even then, I can point to Phyrexian Vatmother) or maybe hexproof.



Either WoTC has misprinted every card with Detain on or you need to go to specsavers as I am pretty sure the detain ability although modded sounds closer to Kor Hookmaster than Arrest.
...



Pretty sure he was pointing out that it prevents activated abilities from being activated.  It also doesnt tap the creature.  Those can be some pretty important details.  Essentially its a single turn Arrest.  The text isnt just closer, its the same but with "until your next turn" in front. 

Kor Hookmaster doesnt even have the same timing on it, "doesnt untap during its controller's next uptap step" can be very different from "until your next turn" depending on when the effects are cast.

 

Why does every other card say it can't be countered when there aren't good counterspells in Standard anyway?

Other than that the set seems ok, nothing could have lived up to the hype surrounding Ravnica 2.



Does anybody else get giddy when you see/hear a blue player complaining about their counters are countered?  Especially if its only on a few cards or very narrow?



That's why I target their counter with my Reverberate, just for the hilarity of a red counter. And of course I would Shock their Delver of Secrets right after they cast Ponder but before their turn starts. Yeah, I could do it before, but then they wouldn't baww over it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yes, OP, you are.
Why does every other card say it can't be countered when there aren't good counterspells in Standard anyway?

Other than that the set seems ok, nothing could have lived up to the hype surrounding Ravnica 2.



Does anybody else get giddy when you see/hear a blue player complaining about their counters are countered?  Especially if its only on a few cards or very narrow?



I doubt you'd hear many people who play counterspells complaining about them being actually countered somehow.  Thats exactly the interactive gameplay that they are generally looking for.

People complain when their preffered playstyle is made non-viable in constructed play, like with Cavern of Souls and a number of uncounterable spells being available at the same time that the number of viable counterspells is actually decreasing.

Plus having legacy and modern invaded by stuff like Cavern just because of standard's hate boner for counter magic is a bit annoying.

Also, being "giddy" about the unhappiness of others over anything is kind of sad.

 

Thank you guys for the replys so glad to see I am not alone with thinking that RtR isn't really a great set and feels a little out of flavour for what the landscape that was set out by the orignal Ravinica set.


The first Ravnica wasn't all that great. It's just that there were no expectations for the set. The first Ravnica was taken well by Magic players, but it had nothing to live up to. It was just a story and some cards. Now this one has to live up to that legacy, and it won't because Magic players are never pleased with anything. 

If they reprinted every card in the original Ravnica, then players will think it's uncreative. If the first Ravnica was the current Ravnica, and the first Ravnica was being spoiled now, everyone would say that the first was good and this one sucks.

Magic is a different game now. If they had printed a 7 mana 8/8 in the original Ravnica, players would have went as wild as they did when they printed a vanilla 2 mana 3/3. Now they print the 7 mana 8/8 with vigilance and it only gets a "meh" or "GILBIC". WotC have painted themselves into a corner. The power cards of today can't live up to the flavor of yesteryear, the power cards of today can't live up to nostalgia no matter how good the cards actually are.

Lastly, the cards simply aren't interesting. They are either good, or bad, or terrible. There are no interesting interactions or synergy. There is no card that makes you wonder when or why you would ever need to use this card (like Light of Sanction).  There's no wonder, no excitement, no questions (besides "why does this card suck so much?"). 

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
This feels a lot like the old ravnica: Great art and flavor, some really great cards, but also a lot of really bad cards. The original ravnica block wasn't all amazing cards you know. I think everyone is just spoiled.

Great set wizards



This is pretty much my point of view.
Yes, this set has its share of horrible unplayable cards.  What set doesn't?  Huh, the original Ravnica, you say?  So things like Junktroller, Cyclopean Snare, Sandsower, Gate Hound,  Glass Golem, or the entire Radiance keyword didn't exist?

Shocklands are back, I dig most of the guild mechanics (Unleash is terrible, but hey 4 out of 5 isn't bad), we get a sweet new charm cycle, cool new guild leaders, one of the more interesting riffs on a planeswalker we've had in a while, and a huge number of cards that really make me want to get back into Brainstorm mode when it comes to making decks.  Plenty of nice EDH cards, too.

I can't wait to draft this set and I can't wait to see what new Standard will bring.

Yes, this set has its share of horrible unplayable cards.  What set doesn't?  Huh, the original Ravnica, you say?  So things like Junktroller, Cyclopean Snare, Sandsower, Gate Hound,  Glass Golem, or the entire Radiance keyword didn't exist?


RTR is no where near as nostalgic as you bringing up these cards. And you're right. Cards were just as terrible back then as they are now. 

Good post! 

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
The 1/1 with it for :brm: is neat and all, but it just feels stupid because of the reason mentioned above.


The 1/1 with unleash is neat because it's really a 2/2 that can't block. A 1/1 for :brm: is possibly one of the least exciting cards I could think of. Even then it isn't exciting compared to either Goblin Guide, Diregraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler, Spikeshot Elder, Vexing Devil, or even Signal Pest. Sadly it is the most relevant Unleash card I can think of off the top of my head.


So... you are basically agreeing with me?
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
There's always a few people that judge the set before they even get a chance to play with the cards.  Same crap, different set.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I notice more hosers than enablers of new decks or cards to bolster existing decks. I dislike the set from what I've seen. Except Catacomb Slug. That guy's got heart.
I think this set looks cool!  While I'll agree that none of the mechanics particularly lend themselves to cool interactions, they still look fun to play with.  Ravnica always seemed to me about individual cards and the weird stuff you can do with them than pre-designated interactions.
From first look, I like this set, there's reprint of shocklands (of course), then Gate type land that feel flavourfull.
Also I like the charm cycle, pithing needle, chromatic chrome, new guild leaders, and many more.

Mechanics are normal for me, except for unleashed, so many of them are overcosted that this mechanic become more disadvantage rather than giving a creature good boost.

Also I remember the first time overload mechanic are spoiled, "that keyword !!" 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
I agree with the OP, that the set is dissapointing. And its not just because its Ravnica 2.0, which was my favourite set, but because (in my opinion) Wizards just doesnt know how to make a good set again.

First is the art. The multicolored cards look great for the most part, but some of the artwork just feels like Wizards said: "Ok, we need a vampire art" and then accepted the first one available. For example Ash Zealot, Necropolis regent, those red imps, Guild Feud and Axebane guardian all look like they just came from Innistrad. And that Mythic Wurm looks like its from Zendikar.

Then the guild mechanics, which are the most dissapointing thing. They are just not interesting, and could be compared to Bloodthirst in old Ravnica.

Detain, Scavenge, Populate, Overload and Unleash are ALL abilities that affect things on the battlefield (mostly creatures because obviously thats where the fun is). In original Ravnica you had things like transmute and dredge.

Then they are boring, and require NO thought whatsoever. They are all made so that a 10yr old knows best when to use them and that he doesnt have the slightest chance to fail. You just play your ability and stuff happens.

In original Ravnica, you had replicate, dredge, transmute, haunt, forecast etc. and all required some thought, except for bloodthirst. Radiance could hurt your own permanents, but overload doesnt? These new keywords are boring and safe.

And then we have the Wizards "must have" list. This set just had to have a mythic vampire and mythic dragon. Then the standard crap/boring commons/uncommons with the "its for limited" excuse. Why print such mythics then? Sealed is always won by the guy who gets the most broken mythic/rare. I should know because I was first at the Innistrad prerelease with 2x Ludevic abomination and Grim-Grin. The guy who will open the armada wurm or the loxodon smiter will have such a huge advantage its not even funny.

And then the random hosers for strategies that wizards thinks are "Anti-fun", like the cannot be countered cycle or that red lady from innistrad and her graveyard hate, and that white enchantment etc... Most of these hosers seem so random to me, they just ruin the feel of the set.

But like I said I just believe Wizards doesnt know how to make a decent set anymore. The original Ravnica (and other sets) used to be ideas of a plane, spilled on cards. Now Wizards has the idea they need to keep making new sets every year to get money, and they randomly pick a plane and then make a set which is similar to so many others. Honestly ever since Shards of Alara I feel like Wizard sets are all made after the same pattern. And of course everything in those sets needs to be made so that 10yr old kids dont need to think and the cards play the game for themselves. And ofc creatures are fun for everyone, thats why they get more efficient from set to set.

For once, bay falconer is 100% correct with everything he has posted in a thread.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I should stop reading these forums.. 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild



I love this obligatory "new set sucks" threads. But genuinely speaking, this is no Saviors of Kamigawa, Worldwake or Mirrodin Besieged so I'm looking forward to it. 

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Sign In to post comments